RX 480 Compatability Crossfire

gamegoofs

Prominent
May 2, 2017
HI! I have a Rx 480 8gb Sapphire Nitro OC, This is a AMD Polaris Architecture GPU.
I have never used the crossfire capabilities of my pc, and with a little extra money i have saved up, i decided to try it out. I have a 1000watt psu so im not worried about all that stuff.

So anyway let's get to my question.
Since i Have an Rx480, i tried to crossfire with my friends Sapphire Rx 470 8gb Oc, both being polaris and what not i thought they would be able to crossfire... but it didn't give me the option.

So what can i get? Or was it because they werent clocked exactly the same?
Ive been told to Buy the 8gb Sapphire RX 580 Pulse and make that my main card with my Rx480 being my secondary card.
But i am more or less looking into a more budget option, atm i am looking at the MSI Armor 480 8gb as an option.
But if anyone has suggestions, or an idea of what i could get to save money, i appreciate it.
I am doing this regardless please dont 1080ti fan boy in the comments, i know it is an amazing card.

Solution
Nvidia requires identical cards. AMD is much more forgiving. What are the parts? It's my understanding that should work.

https://wccftech.com/rx-480-rx-470-crossfire/

If your parts do work and are CF compatible, perhaps they removed this in current drivers.

4745454b

Titan
Nvidia requires identical cards. AMD is much more forgiving. What are the parts? It's my understanding that should work.

https://wccftech.com/rx-480-rx-470-crossfire/

If your parts do work and are CF compatible, perhaps they removed this in current drivers.

Solution
As per the link above to wccftech, looking at the AMD control panel do you see the CROSSFIRE box to enable it?

(It's hard to get a read on how well Crossfire actually works. I suspect mixing like this will exacerbate the frame time variance issues that cause judder/stutter... though if you can enable/disable Crossfire to compare PER GAME both game smoothness and FPS that would be a good way to go)

gamegoofs

Prominent
May 2, 2017
My Pc is:
Ryzen 1700
Sapphire Rx 480 8gb Oc Nirtro
16gbs of Vengeance 2 Dimm 8gb
Replace power 1000W (not the best was on a budget then)
Mobo: Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4
it supports crossfire, and thank you everyone i will check out that link, any other advice or info i appreciate it.

4745454b

Titan
This PSU?

https://www.amazon.com/Replace-Power-RP-ATX-1000W-BLU-1000W-Supply/dp/B017MT9N54

It claims to have 83A on the 12V rail, or 996W. That indicates a very good modern PSU. But then I see the little red switch. Looking at the comments I see things like this.

How many 6+2p pci-e connections does this have? Answer: Just one...1000W this is not but you surely knew that already - no way to get a 1000w PSU for $50. I measured two of these with a Killawat under load, first one blew up at 500w and second one blew up under 400w of steady load...Power supply fried after running a 500W load. Lasted less than 2 weeks.

How many PCIe power plugs does your PSU have? I'm assuming you were using adapters to power your GPUs? The reason why it didn't work is probably power related. Yours is junk. Sorry for being blunt.

gamegoofs

Prominent
May 2, 2017
time to switch back to my corsair psu. thanks for the heads up, ill test it and see whats going on with it.

gamegoofs

Prominent
May 2, 2017
already replaced it with a corsair one, no worries. and no i was but it had a single pcie slot.

4745454b

Titan
Does that mean it's working with the Corsair PSU? CF and all?

it had a single pcie slot.

Do you mean it had a single PCIe power plug? There is ZERO chance a real 1kW PSU has only a single PCIe power plug. ZERO. Period. Full stop. If you have what you think is a 1kW PSU and it has one or two PCIe power plugs, you don't have a real 1kW PSU. My 450W PSU has two 6+2pin plugs. A 1kW PSU should have at LEAST 4, if not more. Anything less than that and they are clearly lying about what the output on that PSU is.