[SOLVED] RX 560 2GB OC small fps drops during any type of gameplay, but no GPU usage

Rouch

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
Hello, I just bought a RX 560 2GB OC ASUS second hand, and well I am getting frame drops while playing anything, I even tested minecraft and the GPU usage keeps jumping from 0 to 100 really quick, but another game like League of Legends stays at around 25% and I suffer frame drops from 120 to even 40, one thing I notice in the WattMan, is that the clock memory jumps from ~1200 (the high fps) to 625 (what I assume the frame drops). I've googled around all day looking for a fix but nothing I found helped me. Even flash games slow down and come back up to speed over and over again, usage is still low 20-25%.
CPU: i5 4460 3.2ghz
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 1TB WD 7200 RPM.
Running Windows 10 64-bit
Using the latest drivers downloaded from the offical site (19.5.2 Adrenalin), I've also tried the drivers from the box (17.10) but they both seem to work the same performance wise. Any ideas?

Edit: In case someone else might have this problem and doesn't wanna scroll all the way down, the problem was my CPU was overheating because the cooler was not put back properly (yes I know, all this trouble for that), after fixating it back together to sit properly, I don't get framedrops anymore.

Last edited:

Rouch

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
What's the make/model of your PSU ? Are you using a FRESH Windows OS install copy ?
Hello, thanks for the quick reply, PSU is Sirtec ECO II HPC-550-H12S, 550W, Yes the OS is still pretty fresh, 1-2 months old but I haven't used it almost at all during this time, Only got installed like 3 games, steam and discord. Yes I have tried VSYNC, that still has a tiny drop from 60 (cuz of my amazing temporary monitor of 60hz) to 55, but the drop is often noticable as its like a very short freeze and it drives me crazy. And GPU's temp I reckon I didn't see it go over 50 C, and I didn't watch the CPU since I didn't think it was the problem.
This is also a screenshot of the stuff going on since I posted the topic, only browsing the internet with chrome pretty much, GPU activity kept jumping to 100%:

EDIT: The task manager doesn't seem to pick up the GPU's usage spikes. It's stable there.

Last edited:

Rouch

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
This MIGHT be the culprit in your case, in my opinion. SIRTEC is not a very reputed or well known PSU brand, and most of their power supplies are of very inferior quality. Avoid using this model at least on any Gaming PC.

Can you check your Video card by using some other PSU ? Getting a high quality PSU would be much better, IMO.
I think you're right, I haven't seen the wattage of the GPU go over 20W or at most 30W. I'll look into it as soon as I can and come back with an update if that's the case. Thanks for the quick help!
Edit: Even using the % power limit in WattMan the numbers are still the same.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Yes please, it would better if you can change that Sirtec PSU. I'm scared of using such units on my PC.

PSU is the last component you might want to cheap out on, or skimp. Try to get some other high quality PSU, IF possible.

Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system.
Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

Rouch

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
Yes please, it would better if you can change that Sirtec PSU. I'm scared of using such units on my PC.

PSU is the last component you might want to cheap out on, or skimp. Try to get some other high quality PSU, IF possible.

Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system.
Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.
Yes, I wasn't the one who installed the PSU in, it was some hardware shop I used to take my PC to when I had no idea what was wrong, and he said he'll throw in a PSU that will work with my old setup (I had a GTX 650) so I just went with it.
I just tried a game (Paladins, not very demanding at all) and the wattage did not go over 20W, and I had plenty frame drops. Any PSU you might recommend for my setup? Hopefully one not too wallet breaking. Cheers.

Any PSU you might recommend for my setup? Hopefully one not too wallet breaking. Cheers.

What's your budget for the PSU ? And in which currency will you buy the PSU, depending on your country/location ? I would recommend you get the following PSU models and brands. These are high quality units. Or just Look for similar SKU Models.

SEASONIC PRIME, and Prime Ultra, or FOCUS Plus GOLD, Focus Plus Platinum.

CORSAIR AXi, RMi, RMx 550/650W, SF, HX 2017, HXi.

FSP - Hydro PTM 550/650W.

Cooler Master - MasterWatt Maker MiJ, V series 550/650W.

Antec - High Current Pro, High Current Platinum, Earthwatts Pro Gold, HCG Gold.

Super Flower - Leadex Gold II.

be Quiet! - Dark Power Pro 11, Straight Power 11, Dark Power Pro P10.

EVGA -Supernova lineup.

Rouch

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
Quick update, I did the heaven benchmark and the results seem to vary across the monitoring apps, while task manager seems to keep it stable, wattman shows the GPU spiking all over the place with the memory and activity, also during this test the wattage did go over 40W and temp over 50 c. In the task manager CPU usage was at a stable 25-30% and RAM did not go over 3GB using the Basic settings in Heaven. Had a minimum of 11 FPS and a maximum of 120 FPS. Maybe the GPU itself has some problems?

Aug 16, 2019
Quick update, I did the heaven benchmark and the results seem to vary across the monitoring apps, while task manager seems to keep it stable, wattman shows the GPU spiking all over the place with the memory and activity, also during this test the wattage did go over 40W and temp over 50 c. In the task manager CPU usage was at a stable 25-30% and RAM did not go over 3GB using the Basic settings in Heaven. Had a minimum of 11 FPS and a maximum of 120 FPS. Maybe the GPU itself has some problems?
i'm no expert and i'm only speaking of my personal experience of which i have none with the rx560 specifically, i've got a rx 580 that i upgraded to from a gtx 750, i've noticed that my rx 580 handles things a bit differently, idles around 34w 25deg C with 300 core/memory clock, depending on the game the temperatures and clocks can vary for example black desert online at max settings pulls up to 250 watts and gets up to 70deg C and does often spike from 0-%100 usage.
the clocks generally change depending on the temperature of the gpu, for example playing a game like closers which is too un-intensive to put any heat into the gpu i could get anywhere from 5-30fps but the witcher 3 on ultra i can easily run at 30-60fps depending on the area i'm in, i'm not entirely sure how to make it so specific games run at specific clock speeds or anything, hopefully my relation to the problem helped a bit?

Rouch

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
What was the problem ? Is your problem now resolved ?
Well I wanted to try to update the bios, and while the bios was booting up I noticed CPU's temps was 90 C at cold start up, HWMonitor shows constant 90 and over temprature of the cores even from startup. So I'll go replace the thermal paste and also the cooler most likely. I added the image to the post above.

Edit: Yep, CPU overheating was the problem, the cooler was loose and not sitting properly. Sorry for all the trouble you all went through to help me! I am glad for this community! I will give best answer to the person who helped me the most, since I'm not allowed to give myself hehe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.