[SOLVED] RX 570 major underperformance

Aug 17, 2019
Something that's been happening for a while (which I haven't bothered much with, since I play some less intensive games, and which I only found out about when trying to run Rust and 3DMark) is that my RX 570 has been massively underperforming. After running some tests and tweaking it with Radeon Suite, I still haven't found the issue. However, seemingly at random, it will return to expected performance. (While I didn't benchmark it at full performance, it was a massive difference in games. Rust would run at 30-40 FPS on all low settings previously, which would instantly bump up to 70-80 FPS on all HIGH settings.)

My 3DMark scores for Time Spy are showing 3000 points below the average score for the same hardware setup.
(1508 Graphics score, 8240 CPU score, and a combined score of 1718.)

Here's my hardware specs:
Ryzen 7 2700x
16 GB 3000 MHZ
MSI RX 570 Armor 8GB OC
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
All of my drivers are up to date, but I can post the driver versions if needed.

Any idea as to what's going on? I can't seem to find anyone sharing the same issues I'm having, much less any solutions.

Solution
The poor performance indeed did strike again! This was after leaving my computer to sleep for around 2 hours. No clue what's causing this STILL.

Actually my RX 590 Sapphire Nitro, which is something of a curse in my life, crashed coming out of sleep mode on my downstairs build. Now my downstairs build did NOT have that problem with the R9-380 and it does NOT have that problem with the 1660 TI. This is relevant because I think there are problems throughout the RX 500 series.

I took the RX 590 upstairs where I had never had a problem with sleep mode and as soon as I installed the 590 there were problems up there, going into endless boot cycle coming out of sleep mode. This surprised me because upstairs the 590 could do...
Aug 17, 2019
make and model of the psu?
cpu/gpu temp and usage?
EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 Gold

run ddu and reinstall display drivers. What are your gpu temps and clockspeed in game?
1420 Mhz, 300 Mhz memory clock, ~55C and ~85W. The utilization in game is always at 100%. I haven't ran DDU as of writing this post, but let me do that and I'll update the thread if anything changes.

EDIT: I just reinstalled the drivers. Currently it's running at full performance, but I don't expect that to last more than a day or two. Let me run 3DMark, and i'll edit the post again.
EDIT 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: Time spy post was upped to 3,972, with 3652 for GPU and 7891 CPU. I'll see if the poor performance strikes again.

Last edited:

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
The poor performance indeed did strike again! This was after leaving my computer to sleep for around 2 hours. No clue what's causing this STILL.

Actually my RX 590 Sapphire Nitro, which is something of a curse in my life, crashed coming out of sleep mode on my downstairs build. Now my downstairs build did NOT have that problem with the R9-380 and it does NOT have that problem with the 1660 TI. This is relevant because I think there are problems throughout the RX 500 series.

I took the RX 590 upstairs where I had never had a problem with sleep mode and as soon as I installed the 590 there were problems up there, going into endless boot cycle coming out of sleep mode. This surprised me because upstairs the 590 could do something it couldn't do downstairs, which is survive benchmarks without crashing. If I had not RMA'd a 580 and another 590 I would send it away. As it is I think it's a curse.

When I'm a little more flush I'll replace it and throw it out. I wouldn't wish it on an enemy.

My point? That the RX 500 series has a lot of glitchiness and you can change drivers till kingdom come and if you have a bad one, of which apparently there are quite a few, it'll be the devil's own work to make it perform reliably. Do what you can, but you might never get the glitches out of this thing. If problem with sleep mode is the ONLY problem, you might make peace with it. I can leave it upstairs in the secondary computer because I don't use that one much.

Greg N

Solution
Jan 20, 2020
Something that's been happening for a while (which I haven't bothered much with, since I play some less intensive games, and which I only found out about when trying to run Rust and 3DMark) is that my RX 570 has been massively underperforming. After running some tests and tweaking it with Radeon Suite, I still haven't found the issue. However, seemingly at random, it will return to expected performance. (While I didn't benchmark it at full performance, it was a massive difference in games. Rust would run at 30-40 FPS on all low settings previously, which would instantly bump up to 70-80 FPS on all HIGH settings.)

My 3DMark scores for Time Spy are showing 3000 points below the average score for the same hardware setup.
(1508 Graphics score, 8240 CPU score, and a combined score of 1718.)

Here's my hardware specs:
Ryzen 7 2700x
16 GB 3000 MHZ
MSI RX 570 Armor 8GB OC
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
All of my drivers are up to date, but I can post the driver versions if needed.

Any idea as to what's going on? I can't seem to find anyone sharing the same issues I'm having, much less any solutions.

Hey ik this thread is old as Removed but i have a rx 590, and i got the same issue. What was ur solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 17, 2019
Hey ik this thread is old as Removed but i have a rx 590, and i got the same issue. What was ur solution.
I found my solution was to actually reset Wattman. It only temporarily helped, and I don't know if for certain that it's still an issue with Radeon Software 2020 (I haven't really noticed it since I updated), but it helped.

Last edited by a moderator: