Question Rx 570 mini overclock dangerous?

Elad333k

Commendable
May 15, 2019
Hello
I just overclocked my sapphire rx 570 pulse itx mini 4gb from 1244mhz to 1344mhz + undervolt it same time its running stable in stress test and hours of gaming without crash on 1060mv 1344mhz memory 1750mhz 15% power limit 55% fan speed on amd sofware watman the card reach max tempture of 70c on heavy games some games 60c i want to ask if it safe to this card to run on this clocks or it will harm the card in the future and make its life time shorter ?

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
Those temps are kinda impressive for a mini card, my guess is that you can up the power limit even more.

But no, these temps won't hurt your system in any way. 70 degrees is very good for a gpu under load. You could up the fan speed to 100% when it reaches 75 degrees tho, just to be safe.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
No, it won't do anything expect if you want to clock a bit higher.

70° is perfect, so you could push a bit harder with more aggressive fan speeds if you need the performance.

But I now notice I read your question wrong: no you won't damage your card with a slight overclock. That is if the temps are fine. "Max" OC is around 1380 MHz even.

FullTank

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
Those temps are kinda impressive for a mini card, my guess is that you can up the power limit even more.

But no, these temps won't hurt your system in any way. 70 degrees is very good for a gpu under load. You could up the fan speed to 100% when it reaches 75 degrees tho, just to be safe.
No, it won't do anything expect if you want to clock a bit higher.

70° is perfect, so you could push a bit harder with more aggressive fan speeds if you need the performance.

But I now notice I read your question wrong: no you won't damage your card with a slight overclock. That is if the temps are fine. "Max" OC is around 1380 MHz even.
i +1 everything from that, would mark any of these replies as best answer already. :) , very well explanation and advice even. :)

zx128k

Reputable
Run the Neon Noir Ray Tracing Benchmark and see if you remain stable. Most mini card don't have the best chips for overclocking. I would run gpu z and see if you are hitting the 120 watt power limit for your card. Also the temp limit is 80c. The temp target for the cooling is 72c. So you could be hitting 70c but the card could be throttling to reach that temperature.

Last edited:

Elad333k

Commendable
May 15, 2019
I leave it in witcher 3 1 hour 67c no crush 1344mhz 1080mv 1750mhz memory now idk if it will crush in other games its looks like every game different no idea if those temp will stay like that in the summer right now here 8c in summer 30-37

Last edited:

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
my RX570 although not MIni is stable at 1405Mhz and 1030Mv, max temps hit around 68°C.. I dont have any power limit set and fan curve is quite aggressive .. speeds below 50% till card hits 70° at which time it will clime to 85% max once it hits 80s.. but have never had that happen yet

Elad333k

Commendable
May 15, 2019
my RX570 although not MIni is stable at 1405Mhz and 1030Mv, max temps hit around 68°C.. I dont have any power limit set and fan curve is quite aggressive .. speeds below 50% till card hits 70° at which time it will clime to 85% max once it hits 80s.. but have never had that happen yet
1030mv 1405mhz no power limit and it stays stuck at 1405mhz always? How ? The clock will rotate and not max clock maybe coz that u dont get crash even if its run some mins in max clock it need to be drop if u dont use power limit in hard games

I've had a couple games (Shadow Warrior 2 being the worst) that just buck the trend of my manual voltage settings. In those cases, having a Game Specific ("Profile WattMan") setting is helpful.

For reference, I've generally found that 1400MHz needs about 1150mV to be stable on most cards. 1030mV is more suitable for 1300MHz. You might be pushing too hard.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
ive never had the card crash during games or stress test and using the AMD overlay it shows the core speed of 1405 I have since rolled it back to 1390 as I explained above (just for my piece of mind).. and yes playing games it stays at 1390Mhz at a voltage of 1030mV.. I can play hours and never exceed 70°C .. my fans are almost silent under about 67%.. and as Ive set my fans to not really start to spin up fast until around 70°C I rarely hear them.. and I play GTAV , Dauntless, Skyrim, Need For speed undercover etc.. all way above the FPS my 1080P TV can handle .. (120fps+) .. I think the slowest is the GTAV and I get around 80fps.. but im on a 60Mhz display and 80fps is still pretty decent. all with max settings minus anti alis and motion blur

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I never really understood that power limit slider until recently .. and from what I can tell you use that as a way to allow the card more voltage should it need it.. Ive honestly never had video issues playing any of the games I play and can play for hours without crashes, freezes etc. my biggest thing was trying to limit tearing and the heat .. which ive done now that I understand enhanced sync better and undervolted .. as for stability I can run superposition all day at 1400Mhz and not crash.. Ive ran it back to back for hours as I was setting voltages etc.. maybe I'm just lucky I really dont know. I just know what my card is set at and what I did and my results Userbenchmark results

Last edited:

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
For reference, I've generally found that 1400MHz needs about 1150mV to be stable on most cards. 1030mV is more suitable for 1300MHz. You might be pushing too hard.
I honestly dont know this so please dont think im trying to argue lol.. but if I were pushing too hard would the card simply not crash or heat up too much? I lowered the voltage due to stock settings card topping 83°C which I was told was "normal" as the cards ran hot.. I however didnt like that idea.. so investigated to discover many undervolted and read MANY comments of people pushing harder with even less voltage.. but from what I can tell I can run all stress tests fine without ever coming close to 80°C , in fact hitting 70°C would be rare now. what more could I do to confirm card stability? EDIT i decided to run tests on the GPU using Furmark which resulted in some interesting results. (ive always used Superposition for tests and its always showed the 1390Mhz core speed) Furmark however showed that at 1030mV core was only 1220ish Mhz.. at which time I thought maybe the low power was the issue so I put the voltage to 1100 which was still less than stock voltage. however these results were surprisingly worse. long story shorter (lol) after several runs with furmark and tweaking power it seems my GPU sweet spot is 1030mv with a + 20power limit this has resulted in highest furmark score of all the tested settings at a full 1390Mhz average fps of 72 max temp is 76°C (which I could lower but haven't touched fan settings yet) so I'm not sure why My card runs BEST on less power than stock .. but after all the tests , (and I ran at least 20 different ones with different voltages and power limits.). it seems this is true.

Last edited:

Elad333k

Commendable
May 15, 2019
I honestly dont know this so please dont think im trying to argue lol.. but if I were pushing too hard would the card simply not crash or heat up too much? I lowered the voltage due to stock settings card topping 83°C which I was told was "normal" as the cards ran hot.. I however didnt like that idea.. so investigated to discover many undervolted and read MANY comments of people pushing harder with even less voltage.. but from what I can tell I can run all stress tests fine without ever coming close to 80°C , in fact hitting 70°C would be rare now. what more could I do to confirm card stability? EDIT i decided to run tests on the GPU using Furmark which resulted in some interesting results. (ive always used Superposition for tests and its always showed the 1390Mhz core speed) Furmark however showed that at 1030mV core was only 1220ish Mhz.. at which time I thought maybe the low power was the issue so I put the voltage to 1100 which was still less than stock voltage. however these results were surprisingly worse. long story shorter (lol) after several runs with furmark and tweaking power it seems my GPU sweet spot is 1030mv with a + 20power limit this has resulted in highest furmark score of all the tested settings at a full 1390Mhz average fps of 72 max temp is 76°C (which I could lower but haven't touched fan settings yet) so I'm not sure why My card runs BEST on less power than stock .. but after all the tests , (and I ran at least 20 different ones with different voltages and power limits.). it seems this is true.
Try play more modern games and come back here later gta v is ur biggest game ? I didnt have problems as well in gta v but in more powerfull grahpics intense combat u will start figure out that is not stable

"Pushing too hard" in this case meant that your voltages may be aggressively low, as illustrated by the frequency/ voltage relationships I provided being higher than yours. But it's entirely possible you got a "golden sample", and if that's the case, enjoy!

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
well I guess my games are not so hard on GPU I dunno.. I play several others though like Dauntless Destiny 2 .. GTAV lord of the rings online (ok that runs on a potato lol)… skyrim and many more.. never has my card topped 73° and I would have to say as my benchmark score indicates I dont see how I can get much more performance being in the 99% percentile..

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Stock voltages are always high. Every processor, whether gpu or cpu, responds differently. Some need slightly more voltage to remain stable, some slightly less. But the manufacturer and OEM have 0 time to dial in every single processor they deal with. So they set a voltage that's higher than any they know of which guarantees that All the processors will be stable. A one-size-fits-all voltage. Obviously your processor in your gpu doesn't require such high voltages, so you are able to underclock. The exact same card in someone else's pc might not be so lucky.