Question RX 570 not using the maximum Core Clock speeds.

Jul 21, 2019
Hi, so I have an RX 570 Pulse ITX card which works around 70-74c. However, when it goes higher than 71 the Core Clock starts to use less mhz like 1200, 1160 etc.. And it's really annoying that I can see the performance hit because of this, when I play a game (Like Apex Legends etc.) it goes down to 70FPS from 80. Is there any solutions to this? The temps that I get is safe temps for this card as far as I know. Please help, thanks.

Jul 21, 2019
List full PC specs. Make and model number of your PSU as well as Motherboard ? Are you gaming on 1080p screen ? The GPU should not throttle down when the Temp is around 70 C.

What's the GPU usage when you play any Game ?

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600.

Motherboard: MSI A320 Grenade.

PSU: OCZ Technology 600W 80+ Silver Power Supply.

Ram: 8+4 12 GB DDR4 2666 MHZ Ram.

Also, yes I'm gaming at 1080p Resolution. The GPU usage is around 95-99%.

*Assuming you didn't set a 71C temp limit.
*Also, what rpm is the fan running at when it hits the limit (GPUz)

My guess is power throttling. What voltage is it using at the default 1244MHz (you can see this in GPUz sensors graphs). If everything is on Auto, I can pretty much guarantee it's too much, and that undervolting will probably fix the issue while keeping you at your default frequency. As a simple preliminary test, go into AMD settings - WattMan tab, and increase power limit to +25%. Does that solve the problem?

Jul 21, 2019
*Assuming you didn't set a 71C temp limit.
*Also, what rpm is the fan running at when it hits the limit (GPUz)

My guess is power throttling. What voltage is it using at the default 1244MHz (you can see this in GPUz sensors graphs). If everything is on Auto, I can pretty much guarantee it's too much, and that undervolting will probably fix the issue while keeping you at your default frequency. As a simple preliminary test, go into AMD settings - WattMan tab, and increase power limit to +25%. Does that solve the problem?

It did not. The card works perfectly fine in 60-70c. but When it hits 71 it uses less mhz. I've set Power limit to +25% and it didn't work. I tried undervolting but no result.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Have you checked with Sapphire to see if they can provide guidance on the issue (it's their product) or if this is eligible for RMA?

Highly Cautioned
If all else fails, you might look to reflash the BIOS. You need to be VERY careful to get the BIOS that matches your EXACT GPU.
I don't have experience with this process, so I'll defer to others.

71C is a low threshold to trigger throttling.

Jul 21, 2019
Have you checked with Sapphire to see if they can provide guidance on the issue (it's their product) or if this is eligible for RMA?

Highly Cautioned
If all else fails, you might look to reflash the BIOS. You need to be VERY careful to get the BIOS that matches your EXACT GPU.
I don't have experience with this process, so I'll defer to others.

71C is a low threshold to trigger throttling.

I don't really know so the only option is to reflash the BIOS..

I'm scared. xd

You don't know if you've contacted Sapphire customer/technical support?

To me, a BIOS flash on a GPU is only something you do as a last resort (when there's no hope of RMA). Plenty of people have performed this task without issue, but it CAN result in a bricked card. I haven't gotten to that level of desperation on any of the machines I've worked on.

Jul 21, 2019
theres no reason to update your gpu bios, and if u dont have second gpu (in case u brick your gpu bios) then u shouldnt toy with it

anyway u said that gpu-z shows just frequency?
u should be able to see perfcap reason on it

I already updated the BIOS, and nothing changed. only Default Core Clock went 1 MHZ higher. The "Core Clock" drops became less, however.

You don't know if you've contacted Sapphire customer/technical support?

To me, a BIOS flash on a GPU is only something you do as a last resort (when there's no hope of RMA). Plenty of people have performed this task without issue, but it CAN result in a bricked card. I haven't gotten to that level of desperation on any of the machines I've worked on.

Last edited: