Martinbest

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Online I saw people getting 6.7 sevens in the steam vr performance test with my GPU not OC. But my score is stuck at 5.8 and steam says the GPU is the problem. What is wrong?

Please provide more details regarding your full PC specs as well.....So, you are only facing problem with the "SteamVR Performance Test", or even with other apps/programs like GAMES and other installed software ?

Also, try to run a 3DMark benchmark and try comparing your results/score with others having a similar rig. This will give some idea on whether the GPU is being fully utilized or not....

Martinbest

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Please provide more details regarding your full PC specs as well.....So, you are only facing problem with the "SteamVR Performance Test", or even with other apps/programs like GAMES and other installed software ?

Also, try to run a 3DMark benchmark and try comparing your results/score with others having a similar rig. This will give some idea on whether the GPU is being fully utilized or not....
16gb ddr3 ram
I5-4460
ASRock b85 pro4
Another problem I have is framedrops in R6 siege

Martinbest

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019

That's an average PSU, not they very best, though it isn't that bad either.

But first of all, you didn't answer my query, "So, you are only facing problem with the "SteamVR Performance Test", or even with other apps/programs like GAMES and other installed software ?"

Martinbest

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
That's an average PSU, not they very best, though it isn't that bad either.

But first of all, you didn't answer my query, "So, you are only facing problem with the "SteamVR Performance Test", or even with other apps/programs like GAMES and other installed software ?"
I said that I also have framedrops with rainbow six siege and I don't have other games

Very high background CPU (85%). High background CPU reduces benchmark accuracy. Find active processes with Windows task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC).

So something is running in the background, which is probably causing your slow performance. You need to know what it is thats running.
Maybe boot up with many startup programs disabled, you can disable them in Task Manager, Startup tab
Also maybe worth running something like MALWAREBYTES to see if you have some nasty software installed on your machine as well.

Martinbest

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Very high background CPU (85%). High background CPU reduces benchmark accuracy. Find active processes with Windows task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC).

So something is running in the background, which is probably causing your slow performance. You need to know what it is thats running.
Maybe boot up with many startup programs disabled, you can disable them in Task Manager, Startup tab
Also maybe worth running something like MALWAREBYTES to see if you have some nasty software installed on your machine as well.
IT said that nothing was running but cpu did still 50 percent in the background

50% CPU utilization means there's SOMETHING going on in the background.

Not to pile more things on (CPU utilization should be taken care of first) but download GPUz and monitor the GPU frequency while testing/gaming to make sure it's running at advertised speed.

Martinbest

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
50% CPU utilization means there's SOMETHING going on in the background.

Not to pile more things on (CPU utilization should be taken care of first) but download GPUz and monitor the GPU frequency while testing/gaming to make sure it's running at advertised speed.
my pc:
i5-4460
asrock b85 pro4
corsair vs450
16gb ddr3 ram
gigabyte aurorus rx 570

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/16022117

I used gpuz and it was running as it should.

I was focusing on the CPU utilization at idle, but also, are you considering that you're comparing your own results with a (relatively old and slower 4c/4t) i5-4460 compared to some people with potentially i7-9700K?
There's a good chance you're CPU-limited, especially for online gameplay.

Martinbest

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
I was focusing on the CPU utilization at idle, but also, are you considering that you're comparing your own results with a (relatively old and slower 4c/4t) i5-4460 compared to some people with potentially i7-9700K?
There's a good chance you're CPU-limited, especially for online gameplay.
What do you mean with at idle?

IT said that nothing was running but cpu did still 50 percent in the background
When "nothing" is running, the CPU is idle (aka, turn on your computer, do nothing, let it sit for 5 minutes, check CPU utilization). 50% utilization means something is running in the background. If there's some background process(es) using 50% of your CPU AND you're trying to play games, you're not going to get the kind of game performance you'd expect.