Question RX 5700 Low power consumption while playing games

octans.sigma2

Prominent
Feb 1, 2019
Hello , my GPU (MSI Rx 5700) seems to have a problem where it consumes a lot less energy than it should . I had this problem since i had rx 580 and its really frustrating bcs i cannot find a solution . ive tried reinstalling windows , reinstalling drivers , swap motherboard , swap HDD , swap PSU and replace gpu . It started when i updated drivers using Driver Booster . Average power consumption is 50-80watts and sometime it jumps to 100watts . When i tried running Furmark , the gpu got 190 watts so i dont understand why it gets normal power while benchmarking and not while gaming. Only thing i havent replaced is CPU so that might be the issue.

Heres a screenshot i took while playing Rainbow 6 : View: https://imgur.com/a/c8eVrhu

PC specs :

mobo : MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX
gpu : MSI Radeon RX 5700 GAMING X 8G
psu: Corsair RM750x
cpu : AMD Ryzen 5 2600
ram : 16gb ddr4
and 1 Tb HDD

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What problem are you trying to isolate exactly? What's making you investigate power consumption? What was the situation prior to using driver booster?

Because 173 fps is pretty darn good. Im assuming that's in 1080p? At 1440p ultra details, 5700 gets in the neighbourhood of around 100fps in Six Siege.

I'd also advise against using automatic driver finder programs. Just get whichever driver, motherboard chipset etc from manufacturer's website.

Reactions: Phaaze88

octans.sigma2

Prominent
Feb 1, 2019
Hello , thanks for the reply . I was casually playing rainbow 6 like a year ago with my old gpu (rx 580) and it told me to update gpu drivers so i downloaded Driver Booster and after i updated the drivers i launched r6 and i noticed my gpu was using like 100watts less than it used to so i tried other games like csgo . Csgo was unplayable bcs it was now using only 30watts and the fps were very low. So i decided to buy new gpu but the problem kept on so i replaced motherboard and psu but it didnt help at all.