[SOLVED] RX 5700 Terrible performance

Feb 17, 2020
Hi, i upgraded to RX 5700 from RX 580 and ALL games are running really bad, i cant get 60 stable FPS on Far Cry 5 (1080p high) i cant get stable 75 even on Farming Simulator 19 ultra (1080p). I tried other forums and they told me that its ram so i tried another ram and still nothing i have crystal disk mark info of all disks and CPU-Z info. My only bet is that its HDD or PSU, but both of them make no sense if im correct coz if i had bad psu my gpu would be turning off and if i had bad HDD it would only affect loading times, am i right ?
everything is on stock and rams ARE in dual channel

my system is: ASRock RX 5700
Ryzen 5 2600
16 GB ram G.skill aegis
PSU: corsair VS 450
SSD: WD green 240 GB3
HDD: 500GB

Solution
Hi, i upgraded to RX 5700 from RX 580 and ALL games are running really bad, i cant get 60 stable FPS on Far Cry 5 (1080p high) i cant get stable 75 even on Farming Simulator 19 ultra (1080p). I tried other forums and they told me that its ram so i tried another ram and still nothing i have crystal disk mark info of all disks and CPU-Z info. My only bet is that its HDD or PSU, but both of them make no sense if im correct coz if i had bad psu my gpu would be turning off and if i had bad HDD it would only affect loading times, am i right ?

Ryzen 5 2600
16 GB ram G.skill aegis...

Ryzen 5 2600
16 GB ram G.skill aegis
Personally, even though it's low-end/budget and probably a good candidate to upgrade, I don't believe the issue is the PSU. This is especially so since it appears your system was running well with the RX580 it replaced, a far more power hungry card than a 5700.

First: did you do a clean re-install of all drivers? I would suggest uninstalling from control panel, then run the AMD CleanUp Utility from safe mode, then DDU also from safe mode before re-installing both chipset drivers and display drivers. I feel the latest, rev 20.2.1, is the most stable.

Once you're running, 5700's don't really overclock well. It just seems to druve thermals through the roof sending fans into a scream and make clock speed very unstable. Unstable clock leads to bad gaming performance even though benchmarks may show increased FPS. Instead, try undervolting and raising the power limit like 5 or 10%. Raising the power limit helps it not bounce GPU clock speed off the limiter when it hits it and lowering voltage helps it run cooler and down-clock less frequently. Default BIOS profiles tend to be over-volted and too low a power limit considering how robust the VRM's are on all the 5700's and 5700XT's.

Also don't bother with memory clocks; you might be able to increase them but it doesn't seem to help any with performance either. That's pretty much true of 5700XT's also.

Solution

SoldierWNoName

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
The answer from drea.drechsler was very good, but I'd like to say a few more things.
What is the temperature? I've seen many people complaining their GPUs performance without seeing its temperature. Because if its too hot it'll throttle back, the 5700 consumes a little bit more energy than the RX 580, and sometimes (seems to be always) the stock fan curve let's the card gets very hot. After the driver cleanup I'd see this.

Feb 19, 2020
Your PSU is way under powered. 5700 xt graphics require a minimum of 600w power supply. If you attempt to put the settings in ultra your power requirements will jump up to around 200. Maximum settings will be around 150ish. People should not rely on pcpartpicker for the psu requirements as the website is wrong on that aspect. Websites say minimum 600w psu. you don't get one don't complain when your system goes wonky.

Feb 19, 2020

Ryzen 5 2600
16 GB ram G.skill aegis
Disable freesync, go into bios and turn off pcie 4 on whichever slot your card is in.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Personally, even though it's low-end/budget and probably a good candidate to upgrade, I don't believe the issue is the PSU. This is especially so since it appears your system was running well with the RX580 it replaced, a far more power hungry card than a 5700.

While I agree with the rest of your post - and I would agree with the above statement if we were talking an RX590, the RX580 is rated at the same TDP as the 5700.

That aside, I would not trust the VS (most ESPECIALLY if it's one of the orange label ones, or if it's a few years old), and am kind of surprised it didn't give the OP trouble even with the RX 580. That was lucky.

Now, I couldn't say with certainty whether the PSU is contributing to the problem at all or not, but I would still strongly recommend replacing it with a higher quality model, to protect your expensive PC components. The first link in my sig is a good guide.

Reactions: dotas1