[SOLVED] RX 5700 XT Frame Jumps, Is the GPU? RAM? CPU maybe?

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
Hi every one, I recently bought a rx 5700 xt and whenever I play games specially Warzone, my frame rate goes from 60-63-57 fps down to 10-20-27 fps I also get stuttering, tearing and sometimes the tv doesn't detect the pc even though they were working together and the screen goes black yet the pc still is on and I have to hard reset the pc. I'm not sure if it's the tv I use as a monitor, the old cpu which is not too old, the new gpu or my ram. This is my first built and I'm not fairly knowledgeable on this matter. I would enlist as much info as I can and if anybody could review the info and help me find out where exactly the problem is would get my eternal gratitude lol.

The Hardware

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
GPU: XFX - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card with Zero dB - Black
MOBO: MSI - MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen2 AMD Motherboard
RAM: 16 GB PC4-21300 MB/s DDR4-2666 (taken from a HP pavilion)
TV: Samsung - 43" Class 6 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Tizen TV
HDMI Cable: Rocketfish from BestBuy ( most likely 1.4 not 2.0)

The Software

COD Graphics: Render resolution (2271 x1200) V-Sync (ON) Custom framerate limit (All at 60) Display Gamma (BT1886) Texture Resolution and Filter (Both at Normal) Particle (High) Bullet Impact (Enable) Tessellation (Disable) Texture Streaming (Enable) Streaming Quality (Normal) Shadow Map Resolution (Normal) Cache Spot and Cache Sun (Disable) Particle Lightning (Normal) Ambient Occlusion (Both) SSR (Disable) Anti-Aliasing (SMAA T2X) Depth of Field (Enable) Filmic Strength (0.00) World and Weapon Motion Blur (Disable) Film Grain (0.00)

Riva Tuner V 7.2.3 on High Application Detection (High) Framerate Limit (60) On Screen Display Coordinate Space (Framebuffer) On Screen Display Rendering Mode (Raster 3D)

Radeon 20.9.1: GRAPHICS [Radeon Chill (Min 60 fps Max 60 fps) Radeon Image Sharpening (Enable-90%) Radeon Enhanced Sync (Enable)] DISPLAY [ Virtual Super Resolution (Enable) HDMI Link Assurance (Enable) HDCP Support (Enable)

Windows 10: Version 2004 HDR (Off) Display (2560x1440)

If anybody could help me, I just have a week to return the GPU

Last edited:
Solution
Your RAM is waaaay too slow for a Ryzen-powered system; Ryzen CPUs are much more sensitive to RAM speeds than Intel CPUs are. Your frame rate is dropping because Warzone is very CPU-intensive, and your CPU is unable to perform at its best because it is being hamstrung by slow RAM.

Here is what you need to do: buy two sticks (so that you have dual-channel memory) of 8 GB RAM running at least at 3200 MHz (3600 MHz is better). That should help your Ryzen 7 2700 run faster and thus keep you from being so easily CPU limited.

After buying the RAM, if you see an improvement but are still being CPU limited, there are improvements to be made by upgrading your CPU to a Ryzen 7 3700/3800x/3800XT. Allow me to explain the differences...
Your RAM is waaaay too slow for a Ryzen-powered system; Ryzen CPUs are much more sensitive to RAM speeds than Intel CPUs are. Your frame rate is dropping because Warzone is very CPU-intensive, and your CPU is unable to perform at its best because it is being hamstrung by slow RAM.

Here is what you need to do: buy two sticks (so that you have dual-channel memory) of 8 GB RAM running at least at 3200 MHz (3600 MHz is better). That should help your Ryzen 7 2700 run faster and thus keep you from being so easily CPU limited.

After buying the RAM, if you see an improvement but are still being CPU limited, there are improvements to be made by upgrading your CPU to a Ryzen 7 3700/3800x/3800XT. Allow me to explain the differences: (specs pulled directly from AMD's website)

Your 2700:
  • Base Clock - 3.2 GHz
  • Boost Clock - 4.1 GHz
  • PCIe Support - 3.0 x16
A Ryzen 7 3700/3800X/3800XT:
  • Base Clock - 3.6-3.9 GHz
  • Boost Clock - 4.4-4.7 GHz
  • PCIe Support - 4.0 x16 (the same for all three CPUs)
Your 2700 has two main limitations; it's frequencies aren't as high as newer CPUs (frequency drives framerate) and even though both your expensive X570 motherboard supports PCIe 4.0 and your 5700 XT supports PCIe 4.0, you have encumbered your motherboard and GPU with a CPU that only supports PCIe 3.0.

By upgrading your CPU, you will have higher base and boost clocks as well as enable PCIe 4.0 (which doesn't make a huge difference, but is good for a few extra frames in some games. PCIe 4.0 will become more and more important in the near future).

Let me know if you have any questions or need suggestions for anything else.

Reactions: PiVO 7717
Solution

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
Thank you for replying, I actually boosted the cpu and it was working slightly better than before so my guess is that you are correct, I don't have the money to buy a cpu yet and I'll prefer to save for a way newer one, still I would try the ram; Corsair Vengeance 32gb will suffice and stop the spikes on latency and stuttering (mainly.) I'll report back with the results as soon as I can

Last edited:
Thank you for replying, I actually boosted the cpu and it was working slightly better than before so my guess is that you are correct, I don't have the money to buy a cpu yet and I'll prefer to save for a way newer one, still I would try the ram; Corsair Vengeance 32gb will suffice and stop the spikes on latency and stuttering (mainly.) I'll report back with the results as soon as I can
Sounds good! Let me know.

Reactions: PiVO 7717

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
I'm back! So after long testing (being a bit sick lol...) Barely visible and or noticeable stutters appear, my guess and most likely it is the servers of the game as usually any inconvenient happens when playing with someone in another state ( my brother NY me FL,) the tv takes a little toll when passing from loading screen to the game itself when talking about FPS at around 40 FPS, still it's a second or two no more after that, maybe a 2.1 HDMI would help but everything is fine. I limited the FPS with Riva Tuner at 59 FPS as well the display on windows at the same FPS, transfer the game from a HDD to a SSD, overclocked the R7 2700 using Ryzen Master at 4000 MHz at 1.30625v, don't go further than 4000 that thing freezes no matter what the voltage is, overclocked Ram [32 gb (2x16gb)] Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB in MSI bios: XMP gave me auto overclocking, it was something like 3200 16-18-18-30 (thirty something- I believe,) also Intelligent Standby List Cleaner helps a lot reducing spikes on the cpu as it clears the RAM before it gets overwhelmed. MSI's Dragon Center has a usb and a storage auto boost option but I can't testify that it really works or if it causes a big or small impact. No packet loss thanks to TCP Optimizer. From AMD Adrenalin I guess the most important options are Anisotropic at x2, Anti Lag and Enhanced-Sync enable, tv had to be set at default video settings such as brightness, saturation, etc. still colors are very well accentuated and I think it helps a tiny bit, as far as talking about the game itself; game runs at 60 fps at 2560x1440 without any problems at mid-high settings, all the options in the bottom are disable like film grain, film strength, anti-aliasing, tessellation. Streaming World Quality is the one that gives more stutters when turning on at normal, low would make the objects farther away (300 m and above) take more time (1-2 secs) to load their textures as it uses CPU and storage yet there's almost inexistent lag with that option (slow) on, Temperatures on a 10 hrs. use at the game rises but stays stable on around 75 Celsius max, when out of the game stays at mid 30's and between 4-6 ms delay when in game. @RTX 2080 You were right my friend, CPU was the bottleneck, I got into an odyssey to make it work "almost" perfectly, can't wait for the Ryzen 5950x, yet I still don't got enough for it and I would like to give it a couple of months until everything works correctly with the new gen, also saving for the new R6800 XT and a real monitor (any recommendations?) after that I would be away from tech for a decade, I hope so lol. Thanks for the advice and my apologies for the late replay.

Last edited:
Reactions: RonaldJD
I'm back! So after long testing (being a bit sick lol...) Barely visible and or noticeable stutters appear, my guess and most likely it is the servers of the game as usually any inconvenient happens when playing with someone in another state ( my brother NY me FL,) the tv takes a little toll when passing from loading screen to the game itself when talking about FPS at around 40 FPS, still it's a second or two no more after that, maybe a 2.1 HDMI would help but everything is fine. I limited the FPS with Riva Tuner at 59 FPS as well the display on windows at the same FPS, transfer the game from a HDD to a SSD, overclocked the R7 2700 using Ryzen Master at 4000 MHz at 1.30625v, don't go further than 4000 that thing freezes no matter what the voltage is, overclocked Ram [32 gb (2x16gb)] Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB in MSI bios: XMP gave me auto overclocking, it was something like 3200 16-18-18-30 (thirty something- I believe,) also Intelligent Standby List Cleaner helps a lot reducing spikes on the cpu as it clears the RAM before it gets overwhelmed. MSI's Dragon Center has a usb and a storage auto boost option but I can't testify that it really works or if it causes a big or small impact. No packet loss thanks to TCP Optimizer. From AMD Adrenalin I guess the most important options are Anisotropic at x2, Anti Lag and Enhanced-Sync enable, tv had to be set at default video settings such as brightness, saturation, etc. still colors are very well accentuated and I think it helps a tiny bit, as far as talking about the game itself; game runs at 60 fps at 2560x1440 without any problems at mid-high settings, all the options in the bottom are disable like film grain, film strength, anti-aliasing, tessellation. Streaming World Quality is the one that gives more stutters when turning on at normal, low would make the objects farther away (300 m and above) take more time (1-2 secs) to load their textures as it uses CPU and storage yet there's almost inexistent lag with that option (slow) on, Temperatures on a 10 hrs. use at the game rises but stays stable on around 75 Celsius max, when out of the game stays at mid 30's and between 4-6 ms delay when in game. @RTX 2080 You were right my friend, CPU was the bottleneck, I got into an odyssey to make it work "almost" perfectly, can't wait for the Ryzen 5950x, yet I still don't got enough for it and I would like to give it a couple of months until everything works correctly with the new gen, also saving for the new R6800 XT and a real monitor (any recommendations?) after that I would be away from tech for a decade, I hope so lol. Thanks for the advice and my apologies for the late replay.

Glad you figured a bunch of stuff out!

I think you have a good plan. What power supply are you using (specific model) and how old is it? Your new CPU and GPU are going to draw more power than your current ones, and we don't want any power supply issues that may damage your expensive new hardware.

With a 5950x and a 6800XT, you could run games at 1440p/1440p ultrawide with high refresh rates, or you could go all the way up to 4K; what size/resolution monitor are you interested in and how much are you willing to spend on it?

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
I have a SAMA Armor 650W 80 PLUS GOLD, maybe it would be short for the new cpu and gpu. I know the set up is a bit expensive but I just wanna throw the best and latest I can from this gen and hopefully skip the next gen in the industry. I seriously don't want to buy any tech for the next 10 years at least. My phone for example I bought a Samsung galaxy s5 and then jump to a Note 10 plus and I won't buy another one until the next 5 gens, same with anything I buy, I wont buy a car in the next 20-30 years and cash no credit and if I do it would be for work, like a F150 or something like that... I was thinking about a BenQ ZOWIE XL2740 27 inch 240Hz @RTX 2080

Reactions: RonaldJD
Ok, I don't think that your power supply is going to be enough for the hardware you are going to get. Both your CPU and GPU are going to be drawing close to 300 watts of power each, and that doesn't even account for power draw from other parts of your system. Inexpensive power supplies are not designed to operate at close to maximum capacity over long periods of time and can fail catastrophically, taking out your expensive hardware with it.

For a new power supply, I would recommend you a Corsair AX850. It has the wattage to deal with your needs, it is extremely reliable and makes heavy use of high-quality components, and it comes with a 10 year warranty, something that I know you will be very happy to see. Unfortunately, because of a combination of COVID-19 (lots of people gaming, manufacturing disruptions) and Nvidia Ampere (power supply requirements going up for new GPUs across the board), power supplies are sometimes out of stock and higher-priced than they used to be due to a combination of low supply and high demand. Be that as it may, this is the best power supply for your needs and should serve you very well for a long time.

For a new monitor, the one that you chose is probably not best suited for your needs. 1080p is not a very high resolution for a 27 inch monitor (low pixels per square inch) and a 240 Hz refresh rate is completely overkill for someone who has been playing at 60 frames per second or lower this whole time. I think that a 1440p 144 Hz monitor would be well-suited to your situation: it has higher pixel density than the 27 inch 1080p monitor, and higher potential refresh rates compared to your TV. It will also age well over a ten year period, because every year, games get more computationally expensive to run on the same hardware, and if you want to be able to hold onto the same hardware for 10 years, you want something that will work well for that period of time. This way, a 6800XT will play games like warzone closer to 144 fps at 1440p today, and then in close to ten years, it will still be powerful enough to run lots of games at 1440p 60 fps with a few settings adjusted lower.

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
I bought a Acer Predator 27" 240 fps IPS panel and use a LAN connection 30 inches from the router, Warzone gets a range of 80-85 fps Apex Legends gets 110-120 fps even thought the CPU is still the same, hoping to get a R7 5800x and see how much frames go up... Also it has to be considered the use of the Tv as a secondary monitor nowadays

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
Ok, I don't think that your power supply is going to be enough for the hardware you are going to get. Both your CPU and GPU are going to be drawing close to 300 watts of power each, and that doesn't even account for power draw from other parts of your system. Inexpensive power supplies are not designed to operate at close to maximum capacity over long periods of time and can fail catastrophically, taking out your expensive hardware with it.

For a new power supply, I would recommend you a Corsair AX850. It has the wattage to deal with your needs, it is extremely reliable and makes heavy use of high-quality components, and it comes with a 10 year warranty, something that I know you will be very happy to see. Unfortunately, because of a combination of COVID-19 (lots of people gaming, manufacturing disruptions) and Nvidia Ampere (power supply requirements going up for new GPUs across the board), power supplies are sometimes out of stock and higher-priced than they used to be due to a combination of low supply and high demand. Be that as it may, this is the best power supply for your needs and should serve you very well for a long time.

For a new monitor, the one that you chose is probably not best suited for your needs. 1080p is not a very high resolution for a 27 inch monitor (low pixels per square inch) and a 240 Hz refresh rate is completely overkill for someone who has been playing at 60 frames per second or lower this whole time. I think that a 1440p 144 Hz monitor would be well-suited to your situation: it has higher pixel density than the 27 inch 1080p monitor, and higher potential refresh rates compared to your TV. It will also age well over a ten year period, because every year, games get more computationally expensive to run on the same hardware, and if you want to be able to hold onto the same hardware for 10 years, you want something that will work well for that period of time. This way, a 6800XT will play games like warzone closer to 144 fps at 1440p today, and then in close to ten years, it will still be powerful enough to run lots of games at 1440p 60 fps with a few settings adjusted lower.
Hello my friend, you were totally right a 240 fps is overkill, I'm ashamed to have bought such a monitor, I am a person of fast reflexes and I could testify about it, 165 fps would be more than enough for human perceptions instead I would recommend a higher resolution 1440p, 2k or 4k or even 8k with a no more than 144hz