Question RX 5700XT Crashing?

Jul 18, 2019
Hi guys,

I built my first PC last week (specs at bottom) and everything seemed to go smoothly. I attempted to undervolt my 5700xt but games kept crashing on me so to be safe I reinstalled the GPU drivers and decided I wouldn't mess with that. I've been playing AC Origins on High graphics w/ 1080p 144Hz and it runs like a dream for hours. However, as soon as I alt-tab and try to open other windows like Chrome or Radeon Adrenalin the windows start flashing and freezing then ultimately everything freezes and I have to reset. I have no idea what the problem is, my GPU and chipset drivers seem to be up to date. I don't get why I can have 100 fps in a graphics intensive game and then my PC freezes when I open Chrome.

Any ideas?

PC Components:

Asus TUF x570 wifi
Ryzen 3600x
RX 5700xt
2x 8gb Ripjaws V 3200
corsair CX750 ATX 80 PLUS Bronze

Edit: Civ VI is now crashing, sometimes gives me "display device has failed" message

Last edited:

bernzkilot

Commendable
Feb 15, 2017
bro i got the same issue as you. i have returned my RX 5700 XT to amazon now and planning to get RTX 2070 or RTX 2060 super. card is fast but drivers are still immature. maybe when AIB cards comes out it will be much more stable.

The issue i think for this is the radeon global settings and drivers and not with the card. better wait for few months til it is fully stable but i suggest you return it and get a full refund if possible.

The best thing you can do if you want to keep the card is buy an aftermarket gpu cooler like arctic accellero or the EK waterblock which is getting ready by next week i guess.