May 2, 2020
Dear all, a fairly major issue I've been hapenning for the past few weeks.

I purchased a prebuilt with the following specs, it arrived in january:
  • Gigabyte B450M DS3H-CF
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • Adata XPG Spectrix D60G 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz RAM
  • Kingston A2000 500GB M.2-2280 NVMe PCIe SSD
  • XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX 8GB Graphics Card
  • Be Quiet! System Power 9 600W 80+ Bronze PSU (Not modular)
I also fitted:
  • 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
  • 240GB WD Green SSD

My main OS is windows, but I have a linux mint installation on the WD SSD.

The issues started appearing just over a month ago, it would crash when opening any kind of graphically intensive program. (ETS2, synthetic benchmarks) and occasionally crash in normal operation as well. A few times the screen froze, the last sound would continue to play from the speakers (usually buzzing as well), then the computer would restart after the screen went black. Most of the time though, the screen just goes black, and shortly after the cpu cooler makes a short sound indicating that it is restarting.
In the event logger, a critical "Kernel-Power" error is seen (41), shortly before there is a kernel power info (172) with bugcheck 0x116 (VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE). I have opened a MEMORY.DMP with the windows debugger, it shows atikmpag.sys to be the cause of the crash.

Importantly, after this crash starts hapenning, they also happen in linux mint and event memtest86 booted from a flash drive.

The temporary solution is uninstalling the drivers in windows using DDU then reinstalling, with factory reset enabled. Not using factory reset does not fix it. After this, I usually have a day or so before the issues start to appear again, on all systems. Over time, this time between reinstalling and crashes gets shorter. So far, I think I've worked out that the issues only start to appear after a shutdown or sleep.

I've ran memtest86 for ~45 minutes while the computer was not crashing, with no issue. I've also run burnintest, furmark, occt and several games when the computer is not crashing, with no apparent loss in performance. I have also tried individual RAM sticks, the crashes continue to happen. Reseating the graphics card, enabling and disabling XMP profile 1 in the BIOS seems to have no effect.

As I have warranty support for this pc, I contacted them about this and described the issues. They sent out a new GPU, which worked correctly for about a week before the crashes returned with increasing frequency.

I have read on several forum posts that XFX factory overclocks their cards but does not change the max power limit to match, suggesting increasing the max power limit and changing clock speeds. I have tried decreasing memory clock speed and main clock speed and increasing power limit in the AMD adrenaline section, crashes keep hapenning. Additionally, the settings do not seem to save after a restart. However, a quick browse on the web shows that its not uncommon.

Something to also not which may be unconnected, input is lost briefly when I plug and unplug certain devices from the mains. These tend to be speakers, I've read that its quite likely that cheap HDMI cables that aren't properly shielded suffer from interference such as this.

My thoughts:
  • Drivers seem to be poking the hardware somehow, I initially thought that it reflashed the vbios but that is not correct. That would mean that the hardware is somehow resetting/corrupting whatever was poked by the driver reinstall.
  • A malfunctioning component of the system is damaging the GPU, in my opinion this would be the power supply.

Any thoughts of further diagnostics would be welcome, I would like to try and get all bases covered to try and work out what the hell is going on before the whole unit is sent to the warranty company.

Many thanks,
GoldSloth

just through looking at your system a Be Quiet! System Power 9 600W 80+ Bronze PSU (Not modular) is not powerful enough in my view ati cards like a good solid power source. If the PSU was a gold 600watt there would be no problem but you are fighting a losing battle needs a better PSU I think.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html
Evga g2/g3
Seasonic focus/prime
I would recommend an EVGA SuperNova Gold G2 / or new G3 /GS / GQ, Platinum P2 / PS, or Titanium T2 or a Seasonic M12-II Evo or S12-II
GOOD PSU EVGA is a B2, G2, G3, P2, GS, PS, or T2. Avoid the EVGA B1 and G1 series/ I bought a EVGA G3 with 7year garentee

May 2, 2020
Would that explain the crashes being fixed by reinstalling drivers though? Maybe when it gets pushed hard the card begins to struggle, borking the card somehow?

well the only thing that is wrong with the machine is a cheap PSU and apart from that it all looks good why spend 200 -300 on a GPU and 50-70 on PSU the worst mistake have done it myself and learnt the hard way. There is nothing wrong with Be Quiet very good make but you would need a gold or 80+ whatever there top one is not bronze but remember I can only give you advice as you say it could be a number of things I am just trying to help if you want to know for sure find a PC repair shop or as of the current situation maybe try phone someone close and see if they can help.

May 2, 2020
well the only thing that is wrong with the machine is a cheap PSU

The crashes are being caused by a cheap PSU? Please qualify exactly how, I've been through a PSU calculator which estimated 450W at 89% efficiency, I don't see how 600W with 80+ would get remotely close to causing the crashes I have mentioned before.

May 2, 2020
You don't seem to understand that I'm not building a new PC.. these are the components I've got, and worked for months pushing it really quite hard.
Unless you want to tell me how my PSU is definitively causing the crashes I have mentioned, I don't think your information is at all relevant.

May 2, 2020
Fixed for now - Got yet another replacement. A few months ago, so far so good.
It seems that these issues are very common, from what the warranty guys said.

For anyone looking at this thread in the future, ignore the PSU nonsense. The card pulls 150W MAX.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The issue may come back. Be Quiet has a few good PSUs, but generally there area lot of problematic ones. It would not surprise me if the builders are using cheaper PSUs.

The efficiency rating (gold, bronze, etc) is generally irrelevant as it refers to efficiency, not quality. The power rating IS important, but on a low quality PSU, it's kind of meaningless. What is important is quality, and if most/all of the rated power is available on the 12V rails.

Click on the first link in my signature. That is a must-read for power supplies.

Is it possible that you got two bad video cards in a row? Maybe. But, I wouldn't be surprised if issues start showing up again. A poor quality PSU will not reliably provide stable, clean power when it's demanded. This kind of unstable power will definitely cause black screens or crashes when suddenly putting demand on a system (starting a game, or an intense area of a game), and will shorten the life of hardware.