Question RX 580 causes PC to power cycle ?

STEP0

Reputable
Dec 7, 2019
Hi i have Sapphire RX 580 with dual bios and when i turn on the computer it just power cycles non-stop. If i unplug the pcie cables it stops the power cycling but won't show image on monitor obviously. I tried reinstalling ram but it didn't help.
When I tried an old r7 250 GPU which doesnt need pcie cables, the pc normally boots to bios.

I tried the same RX 580 and same PSU on old am3 system and it works fine with it.

Pc specs:
CPU - i3-12100f
GPU - Rx 580 8gb Sapphire Nitro + Special Edition
RAM - Corsair vengeance ddr4 2x8 GB 3200 MHz
Motherboard - Msi pro b660m-a wifi ddr4
PSU - DeepCool DQ 650-M-V2L 80+ Gold

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would try getting the latest BIOS and flashing the motherboard, then performing a clear CMOS before re-installing the RX580.

I say this because you can get the PC to boot using an old GPU, and the newer GPU works in a different system also using the same PSU. You have really covered every possible hardware issue. (Except maybe bad PCIe pins that your R7-250 is not using being only an 8x card vs the 16x RX580)

To verify the PCIe slot isn't a problem, try the last x16 slot (you might have to remove the motherboard from the chassis for this.

Also possible you need a vBIOS update on the GPU, you can do this with the older working system if the other things don't work.

STEP0

Reputable
Dec 7, 2019
I would try getting the latest BIOS and flashing the motherboard, then performing a clear CMOS before re-installing the RX580.

I say this because you can get the PC to boot using an old GPU, and the newer GPU works in a different system also using the same PSU. You have really covered every possible hardware issue. (Except maybe bad PCIe pins that your R7-250 is not using being only an 8x card vs the 16x RX580)

To verify the PCIe slot isn't a problem, try the last x16 slot (you might have to remove the motherboard from the chassis for this.

Also possible you need a vBIOS update on the GPU, you can do this with the older working system if the other things don't work.
Just fixed the power cycling by changing bios from UEFI to CSM

I had another asus b660 board with the same rx 580 installed and when i went to the bios to enable the resizable bar the pc would power cycle

TRENDING THREADS