rx 580 is this a safe overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I have an rx 580 and I am overclocking it it doesn't overheat but I was wondering if these overclocks were safe for my card gpu frequency 1360mhz memory 2250 mhz power limit is 10% higher I game 2-5 hours a day and I was wondering how bad it'd effect my lifetime and if it is safe for my card

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Don't change core and memory clocks at the same time. First OC the core and test for stability. Then overclock the memory and test for stability. You can also use HWiNFO64 to watch for memory errors on the graphics card. Although there's some debate as to how many (if any) errors are acceptable to still call the OC 'stable'.

Given how mild the core OC is I would guess that it's your memory OC that's the issue if you're crashing, but that's just an educated guess. But yes, in general if your core clock isn't stable you can add more voltage to stabilize it. You could try to do the same thing for memory clock/memory voltage, but I'm less sure about what exactly the "memory voltage" setting in Wattman is and what effects changing it has, so I've never played around with it.

I had my power limit at 110% tdp and if I went any higher than 1360mhz my benchmark results would lower
I am also curious how my performance increases just by me raising the tdp to 110% without changing anything
if you could tell me how it does that it'd be cool

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Increasing power limit on its own won't inherently increase performance. It only helps if the card was hitting the power limit and throttling as a result. So if the card was able to sustain a constant 1360 MHz at default power limit, increasing it to 110% wouldn't have done anything. On the other hand, some cards throttle at stock settings so increasing power limit without changing anything else will still improve performance. When running stress tests/benchmarks, keep a monitoring program to see what the GPU clock is doing.

You can just set power limit to max if you want, won't hurt anything.

if I were to increase the tdp to like 120% that wouldn't overwatt it right it'd just take the extra power when needed?

how can I lock my gpu clock speed using wattman?
like how do I make my gpu not underclock when it isn't under load?

Status
Not open for further replies.