Question RX 580 no display, is this flash memory damaged?

mahmutaby

Prominent
Oct 14, 2020
Hi,
I have a sapphire nitro rx 580. I was trying to clean it today and a screw is stripped and i couldn't take the heatsink apart. Then when i was trying to remove the stripped screw, i think i damaged this component in the picture below. I'm not sure if i did it and my brother (who is a electrial engineering major) said its not a big deal and i just scrached the shell of it. However, this card is not giving any display whatsoever after reassembling it (pc boots, gpu fans spin, and mb gives gpu fault code.). I'm fairly experienced in tinkering with computers and i'm sure this card is the problem as it does not give any display output on both pc's i have. I'm also sure there is no problem on my setup as well as it works perfectly fine with another gpu. What might be the problem? Also, is it worth trying to remove the stripped screw? I don't have any spare screws for it so i would only try to remove it if it would help to look at the other side of the pcb.

Here's the photo of the component(For some reason i cannot upload images directly):
View: https://imgur.com/a/HMtMkzH

Lutfij

Titan
Pertaining to the screw, it looks like you used the wrong screwdriver for that screw to end up with a stripped screw head. Either the screwdriver you used was smaller in head size that the notches in the screw or you used a screwdriver that already had a worn down head.

You could look into this listing;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282309999633
though I'd ask you to measure the screws you were able to remove from the GPU to aid in understanding the GPU cooler retention screw dimensions before subsequently pulling the purchase trigger.

As for your GPU, it's probable that your PSU might be at fault or the GPU itself might've conked out, pairing it with the way you managed to ruin that screw. Might want to list the specs to your builds that you tried to troubleshoot the GPU on. Also, was the GPU working prior to this thread?

mahmutaby

Prominent
Oct 14, 2020
Pertaining to the screw, it looks like you used the wrong screwdriver for that screw to end up with a stripped screw head. Either the screwdriver you used was smaller in head size that the notches in the screw or you used a screwdriver that already had a worn down head.

You could look into this listing;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282309999633
though I'd ask you to measure the screws you were able to remove from the GPU to aid in understanding the GPU cooler retention screw dimensions before subsequently pulling the purchase trigger.

As for your GPU, it's probable that your PSU might be at fault or the GPU itself might've conked out, pairing it with the way you managed to ruin that screw. Might want to list the specs to your builds that you tried to troubleshoot the GPU on. Also, was the GPU working prior to this thread?

First of all, thanks for taking the time for replying. As for the screw, i fount out that i can use the screws on the backplate of the gpu as they are the same size. I think it wouldn't hurt the take one out as there are like 10 of them.

Here are the specs of my pc:
Ryzen 5 3600
2x8 GB XPG 3000 mhz ram
Gigabyte B450M S2H
Sapphire Nitro Rx 580
Cooler Master MWE 550 PSU
Samsung 860 evo sata and pny xlr cs3030 ssd

Although im aware that my psu isn't that great, this system was working perfectly fine for almost 2 years.

And here are the specs of the other system:
Xeon E5450 775 pin modded and OC'd
Asus P5 something mb
2x4 gb ddr3 ram
GTX 750 ti
Some cheapo psu and kioxia ssd

So, both systems were running perfectly fine prior this thread. (Second one still does.) When i install the 750 ti into the first system, it runs fine. But when i install the rx 580 into the second system it does not. In both systems, when rx 580 is installed, system powers on, fans spin, gpu fans also spin, and motherboard give 1 long and 3 short beeps. No display. I could only test the card with hdmi as i don't have displayport or dvi cables and card does not have vga output. I also don't have any cpus with an igpu.