[SOLVED] RX 580 "NO SIGNAL" on Haswell based system

Nov 20, 2020
I bought a new graphics card for my main system and wanted to put my old graphics card RX 580 gaming 8GB rev 2.0 into my second Haswell based system to replace my R9 280x which was in that second system. I did that, swapped my R9 280x with RX 580, and when I start my system my monitor says "No signal". The fans are spinning (even those on the graphics card), I can hear the system is working but there is no signal on the monitor. Everything is plugged in according to the manual. The HDMI is plugged into the graphics card port.

The system in which I have placed my old RX 580 is Haswell based, and it consists of :
Intel core i5 4690k,
GA-B85M-DS3H (rev. 1.1) motherboard,
1x8GB stick of Kingston HyperX RAM,
750w power supply,
and an SSD with WIN 10 64bit installed on it.

Bios is updated to the latest F8 version which was available on the support site for my motherboard. When I run "msinfo32" it shows that my BIOS is UEFI. Drivers have been uninstalled with AMD cleanup utility, prior to the installation of the RX 580.

When I press the power on button, fans are working, everything is spinning but there is no signal on the monitor.
If I turn OFF the PC and switch my HDMI from GPU to onboard motherboard HDMI (while the PSU cables are still plugged into the RX 580), again when I turn it ON there is no signal, but when I unplug the PSU cables from RX 580 and start the PC with the HDMI plugged into the motherboard I can get a signal and load up Windows on the screen using Intel HD graphics.

After that I switched back to my old GPU r9 280x, and everything is running normal, no problems of any kind.

Then I tried the RX 580 on another system and It is working completely normal, no problems, but on my second system It doesn't show signal on the monitor.

I would be grateful for any advice!

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you for your answer!

It was my card, I've used it, and it is still working in my first setup, but when I plug it into my second setup, the one that is Haswell based it shows "no signal".
Well, that's just made it even more baffling!

Can you try putting the PSU from your first setup into your Haswell system, and seeing if it works? I mean, given the lesser power demand of the RX 580, this should be a futile effort, but I'll admit I'm kind of grasping at straws here...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of the PSU? 750W is only the number mentioned on the sticker of the unit, it doesn't indicate the build quality of the unit. How old is the unit?

Use DDU to remove your older drivers, then reinstall the latest drivers for your GPU using the latest found off of AMD's support site.

Nov 20, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of the PSU? 750W is only the number mentioned on the sticker of the unit, it doesn't indicate the build quality of the unit. How old is the unit?

Use DDU to remove your older drivers, then reinstall the latest drivers for your GPU using the latest found off of AMD's support site.

Thank you!

The power supply that I'm using is this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inter-Tech-Combat-Power-750W-Plus/dp/B0015RXZBI . It is 5 years old, and have never had a problem with it.

My old R9 280x uses 1x8pin, and 1x6pin connector While mine RX 580 uses only 1x8pin, and R9 which has higher TDP is powered ON without a problem.

I did that just last night with AMD CLEANUP utility and Installed latest 20.9.2 drivers while my r9 280x was inside the system, and then I tried it with RX 580, and still no signal. There is no bios loading screen, no nothing only "no signal" is displayed on the monitor while everything inside the case is working(spinning).
Is there a difference with DDU and AMD Cleanup?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
While I can't say much about the PSU, I would be suspicious just from the "Inter-Tech? Never heard of it" perspective. While 80Plus ratings are only with regard to efficiency rather than quality, the fact that it doesn't have any such rating at all doesn't bode well. Further, no mention whatsoever of a warranty. I was looking to see if it was a short or long warranty, but that it's not mentioned at all is also concerning. Ergo, I'm suspicious of it.

That said, the R9 280x's 250W rating vs the RX 580's 185W makes this puzzling. It shouldn't be the PSU in this scenario.

If you can get a hold of/borrow a known good PSU just to try and see, that might offer a clue, just as an additional diagnostic. My instinct right now is to say that the card might be defective. Don't get me wrong, on general principles, I don't trust the PSU you have, but if it powers the 280x, it shouldn't have any trouble with the 580.

If you have or can readily access another, known good PSU, give it a try. But, it's looking to me like you might have a defective card. Was it purchased used, or new?

Nov 20, 2020
While I can't say much about the PSU, I would be suspicious just from the "Inter-Tech? Never heard of it" perspective. While 80Plus ratings are only with regard to efficiency rather than quality, the fact that it doesn't have any such rating at all doesn't bode well. Further, no mention whatsoever of a warranty. I was looking to see if it was a short or long warranty, but that it's not mentioned at all is also concerning. Ergo, I'm suspicious of it.

That said, the R9 280x's 250W rating vs the RX 580's 185W makes this puzzling. It shouldn't be the PSU in this scenario.

If you can get a hold of/borrow a known good PSU just to try and see, that might offer a clue, just as an additional diagnostic. My instinct right now is to say that the card might be defective. Don't get me wrong, on general principles, I don't trust the PSU you have, but if it powers the 280x, it shouldn't have any trouble with the 580.

If you have or can readily access another, known good PSU, give it a try. But, it's looking to me like you might have a defective card. Was it purchased used, or new?

It was my card, I've used it, and it is still working in my first setup, but when I plug it into my second setup, the one that is Haswell based it shows "no signal".

The BIOS should have an option to select the preferred graphic card to start the system.

I would install the R9 280X back, go into the BIOS and make sure that option (if its there, most mobos have it) is on AUTO, if is not on AUTO set it to AUTO (if its posible). After that turn off the PC and unplug the power cable from the wall (you can hit the power button a few times to discharge any static current from the system) , remove the old R9 280X, install the RX 580X, plug in the 1x8 power cable and the HDMI cable in the correct port. See if that works.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Can you try putting the PSU from your first setup into your Haswell system, and seeing if it works? I mean, given the lesser power demand of the RX 580, this should be a futile effort, but I'll admit I'm kind of grasping at straws here...

Solution
Nov 20, 2020
The BIOS should have an option to select the preferred graphic card to start the system.

I would install the R9 280X back, go into the BIOS and make sure that option (if its there, most mobos have it) is on AUTO, if is not on AUTO set it to AUTO (if its posible). After that turn off the PC and unplug the power cable from the wall (you can hit the power button a few times to discharge any static current from the system) , remove the old R9 280X, install the RX 580X, plug in the 1x8 power cable and the HDMI cable in the correct port. See if that works.

I already did that, at least 3 times and always get the "No signal". The fans on the graphics card are spinning, everything else in the system is spinning but monitor has "No signal".

Nov 20, 2020

I know, right! LOL

Well that would be too much work, would have to undo all the cable management in both systems... But it works on the original system.