Question Rx 580 pc dies whenever anything 3d comes to screen

djlamp94

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 11, 2017
Hi.

My pc keeps dying whenever something 3d comes to screen. It's not the psu cause I bought a new one (be quiet 700w). I run furmark for 10 mins and the pc doesn't die, meanwhile I open warframe and it dies within the first 3 seconds of the cutscene

djlamp94

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 11, 2017
unknown.png
Event viewer says this

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Just chiming in, I used to have a similar problem (but with a GTX 970). It's allergic to anything 3D, including furmark (just merely launching furmark or any games (in my case was Sniper Elite, Ace Combat, and some others) shuts down the system, often it refuses to turn back on). Updated everything (driver, OS, game) including the BIOS, no avail.

My solution was to replace the PSU. It was a new full build and I replaced it with the exact same model (was still in return window, simply RMA-ed the PSU) and the problem went away.

Sometimes you just get unlucky with the PSU, even though it's still brand new.

djlamp94

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 11, 2017
Just chiming in, I used to have a similar problem (but with a GTX 970). It's allergic to anything 3D, including furmark (just merely launching furmark or any games (in my case was Sniper Elite, Ace Combat, and some others) shuts down the system, often it refuses to turn back on). Updated everything (driver, OS, game) including the BIOS, no avail.

My solution was to replace the PSU. It was a new full build and I replaced it with the exact same model (was still in return window, simply RMA-ed the PSU) and the problem went away.

Sometimes you just get unlucky with the PSU, even though it's still brand new.
2 times? Cause I replaced the old psu with this new one in the hope that it was faulty. I doubt it's the psu and I'm not in the mood of buying a 3rd psu. It was a coolermaster 500w one idk the name

What happens if you run Prime95 stress test, blended test with all AVX settings off?
Also, try creating a Memtest86 USB boot drive and going through one full pass of Memtest86.

The above will test the CPU and memory separately (well Prime95 blended test the memory too a bit).

djlamp94

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 11, 2017
What happens if you run Prime95 stress test, blended test with all AVX settings off?
Also, try creating a Memtest86 USB boot drive and going through one full pass of Memtest86.

The above will test the CPU and memory separately (well Prime95 blended test the memory too a bit).
I've left this run for a while. It's been sitting around 78-81c on the cpu. Idk if I should let it run longer. I will do a mem test soon.
unknown.png

djlamp94

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 11, 2017
Weirdly enough I've managed to both repeat the problem to a point that it happens always and kind of fix it. In pubg, in the training map. After you are taught how to use healing bags and have to move to a new room, when I go to the next room it instantly dies. But, if I play in windowed mode it goes on just fine

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I suspect the GPU is simply dying; replacing the PSU was the thing that would most likely have led to a solution. It's more likely since the chances your old PSU was junk, being a Cooler Master with a 500W output, are very high (these questions are asked for a reason).

Do you have access to another system you can test the GPU in?

When all else is failed, it costs nothing to wipe the OS drive and reinstall Windows, just in case there's an unusual issue there (and if the crashes are this predictable across a number of games, I think there's a chance there is).

Reactions: Krotow

djlamp94

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 11, 2017
I suspect the GPU is simply dying; replacing the PSU was the thing that would most likely have led to a solution. It's more likely since the chances your old PSU was junk, being a Cooler Master with a 500W output, are very high (these questions are asked for a reason).

Do you have access to another system you can test the GPU in?

When all else is failed, it costs nothing to wipe the OS drive and reinstall Windows, just in case there's an unusual issue there (and if the crashes are this predictable across a number of games, I think there's a chance there is).
I do have another system to test it on. I did fully wipe windows from the computer hoping it was windows being windows. I truly hope its not the gpu

djlamp94

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 11, 2017
I'm here to deliver the sad news. Tested on another system. Does the same thing. I can't afford a new gpu since this one was used. I guess no pc gaming for a year or more. Thanks for everything guys.