[SOLVED] RX 580 PCI-E cable: 1x6+2 or 1x6 + 1x2?

luizsilveira

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Short question is: my 580 (Sapphire Pulse 8Gb) has an 8 pin connector. My PSU (GM500W) has 2x 6x2 cables/connectors. Right now I got one of those 6+2 plugged in. Should I try connecting the 6 pin from one cable plus the 2 pin from the other cable? Are there any risks of overpowering/shorting the GPU or anything of the sort?

Back info/context:

I've been having a few stability issues with my 580, as mentioned here. I'm still running tests and checking settings to see what works best. So far, it seems like if I keep the "power limit %" setting on -15 or lower, system is stable. With some undervolting, I managed to keep the 1350Ghz clock all the same (without undervolting it didn't even hold the clock on 0% power limit and throttled pretty much all the time).

I have tried the 1650 super as an alternative do draw less power but honestly hated the board, finding it way too noisy (got the 1 fan Gigabyte version that doesn't even allow lower than 59% fan on idle, wut) plus the performance for the specific game I want (Squad) was horrendous. Might have to do with the 4Gb the Super has vs. the 8Gb of the 580 (Squad is very ram hungry).

Anyway. I've read a lot about GPUs with 2x6 pin, 2x 8 pin, or similar, and saw that it is recommended to use two different cables instead of one daisy-chain, though differences in tests are super small. And I was wondering if I could or should try the same for the single 6+2, but could not find absolutely anything about it.

As a side note, is the Sapphire Pulse slightly more efficient than other 580 models? Because I read on Sapphire's website that power consumption <225W and that recommended PSU is 500W (I always read that they tend to exaggerate that but it doesn't seem to be the case this time). Yet on other sources I see RX 580s being rated as drawing over 300W.

The rest of my system: A320 mobo with Ryzen 3 2200g, 1xHDD and 1xSSD, plus 3x120mm rbg fans and 2x8Gb 3000Ghz rgb RAM.

I'm mentioning the rgb because I wonder how much more power they draw? Hopefully it's negligible. I actually don't like rgb stuff but they were actually cheaper than the non-rgb versions. :rolleyes:

Thank you very much!

Solution
"Should I try connecting the 6 pin from one cable plus the 2 pin from the other cable? "
I think that any gain would be negligible.
I would leave it be.