Question RX 580 spiking to 100% usage causing lag, any help??

Liam1306

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Hi everyone,
I've had my GPU for over a year now and recently have noticed that I'm having GPU usage spikes even when idle. It also happens a lot more frequently in games such as Fortnite and Elder Scrolls Online. As far as I am aware I my GPU shouldn't be spiking in this way, especially while I am idle. I've tried pretty much everything i can think of (Undervolting, uninstalling and re-installing multiple different drivers, completely wiping my PC, etc.) Does anyone know why this occurring and how I could fix it? Thanks in advance!

Full PC Specs:
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - Asus RX 580 4GB OC Edition
Motherboard - Gigabyte-A320M-S2H
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb (2x8gb running dual channel)
PSU - Thermaltake Light Power 650w
SSD - Crucial M.2 500GB
HDD - Seagate 1TB
(Windows is installed on my SSD)

amirthefalcon

Prominent
Sep 20, 2020
hello liam;)
I'm a Rx580 user too and experiencing this problem same as you
first of all there is no need to panic because it's not a hardware problem(actually it's a driver problem)

for now , there is no permanent fix for this issue but you can try this:
every time you boot your pc / launch a game go to radeon software then open the performance tab and after that open tuning section... set the tuning control to automatic then select overclock button and select proceed , ok so now your gpu must be in overclocked mode , wait for 10 seconds and then select default mode to turn off overclocking.
done! now you can enjoy your game without problems(please make sure to do this everytime you restart your computer)
if you couldn't fix your problem feel free to reply to this comment. have a nice day

Reactions: spentshells

jerry_96

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hi everyone,
I've had my GPU for over a year now and recently have noticed that I'm having GPU usage spikes even when idle. It also happens a lot more frequently in games such as Fortnite and Elder Scrolls Online. As far as I am aware I my GPU shouldn't be spiking in this way, especially while I am idle. I've tried pretty much everything i can think of (Undervolting, uninstalling and re-installing multiple different drivers, completely wiping my PC, etc.) Does anyone know why this occurring and how I could fix it? Thanks in advance!

Full PC Specs:
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - Asus RX 580 4GB OC Edition
Motherboard - Gigabyte-A320M-S2H
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb (2x8gb running dual channel)
PSU - Thermaltake Light Power 650w
SSD - Crucial M.2 500GB
HDD - Seagate 1TB
(Windows is installed on my SSD)
You could try remove virus/malware first.
It happen with my rtx 2060 usage spiking on 100% while idle. Scan my pc with malwarebytes software, detected a spyware. Then i quarantined and restart my pc , problems gone.

Liam1306

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
hello liam;)
first of all there is no need to panic because it's not a hardware problem(actually it's a driver problem)

every time you boot your pc / launch a game go to radeon software then open the performance tab and after that open tuning section... set the tuning control to automatic then select overclock button and select proceed , ok so now your gpu must be in overclocked mode , wait for 10 seconds and then select default mode to turn off overclocking.
done! now you can enjoy your game without problems(please make sure to do this everytime you restart your computer)
if you couldn't fix your problem feel free to reply to this comment. have a nice day

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.
This method actually helped a lot, and it especially helped with the spikes while idle. However, I am still getting some stuttering in games (not as bad as before) and I noticed that my GPU usage whilst playing Fortnite, is at a pretty constant 100% but drops to 0% sometimes (I have a refence picture below). Do you have this issue at all? Once again thanks for the help :)
GmqLlu.png

Liam1306

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
You could try remove virus/malware first.
It happen with my rtx 2060 usage spiking on 100% while idle. Scan my pc with malwarebytes software, detected a spyware. Then i quarantined and restart my pc , problems gone.

Hi, thanks for the fast reply.
I was going to try this but, I have wiped my PC multiple times (formatting my SSD and re-installing windows onto it) and thought that doing this would remove any malware/viruses.

jerry_96

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
This method actually helped a lot, and it especially helped with the spikes while idle. However, I am still getting some stuttering in games (not as bad as before) and I noticed that my GPU usage whilst playing Fortnite, is at a pretty constant 100% but drops to 0% sometimes (I have a refence picture below). Do you have this issue at all? Once again thanks for the help :)
GmqLlu.png

-try uninstall your gpu driver , then install earlier version of the driver.
Im afraid your motherboard is not good at diccipate the heat while gaming, as i have experienced before cause by high temp of the mosfet ( im using asrock a320m mobo) . Now im using mobo asus B550a .Try lowering your game details . Monitor your gpu temp while gaming with msi afterburner software.

amirthefalcon

Prominent
Sep 20, 2020
GmqLlu.png

hey liam thanks for replying
first of all it's kinda strange that your gpu temperature is at 85 and no i don't have this issue , it seems your gpu fans are having trouble with cooling your gpu , can you try cleaning the fans ? (i recommend you watch a video on youtube about how to clean your fans without damaging gpu components)

Liam1306

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
-try uninstall your gpu driver , then install earlier version of the driver.
Im afraid your motherboard is not good at diccipate the heat while gaming, as i have experienced before cause by high temp of the mosfet ( im using asrock a320m mobo) . Now im using mobo asus B550a .Try lowering your game details . Monitor your gpu temp while gaming with msi afterburner software.
Hi, thanks for the help.
I’ve tried all of these methods and none has seemed to help. I’ve even upgraded motherboard to a B450 which hasn’t made much difference.

Liam1306

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
yes this can be a possible problem too
i recommend using a free trial version of hitman pro antivirus for this situation:
https://www.hitmanpro.com/en-us/downloads
Hi, thanks for the help.
I’ve my fans and the heatsink are completely clean as I recently put new thermal paste on the GPU. This didn’t seem to help at all. I will try the antivirus software that you recommended though. Thanks for the help :)

amirthefalcon

Prominent
Sep 20, 2020
Hi, thanks for the help.
I’ve my fans and the heatsink are completely clean as I recently put new thermal paste on the GPU. This didn’t seem to help at all. I will try the antivirus software that you recommended though. Thanks for the help :)
Your welcome , also don't forget to share the scan results with us
have a nice day

jerry_96

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hi, thanks for the help.
Does the gpu behave this way since you bought? Or recently just happen?

Liam1306

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Does the gpu behave this way since you bought? Or recently just happen?
The GPU has behaved like this since I bought it, however I’ve never really noticed it as I haven’t used it much. I believe the GPU may be bottlenecking the CPU however it still shouldn’t perform as bad as it is.

Remeca

Reputable
Try opening the Radeon software, go to Record and Stream, and make sure 'instant gif' and 'in game replay' are disabled, and see if the behaviour persists. That fixed random usage spikes on my RX 570 even when not gaming.

Liam1306

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Try opening the Radeon software, go to Record and Stream, and make sure 'instant gif' and 'in game replay' are disabled, and see if the behaviour persists. That fixed random usage spikes on my RX 570 even when not gaming.
UPDATE: The setting was already turned off so it wouldn’t have made a difference. Thanks for the help though :)

Reactions: Remeca

Luki2137

Prominent
Oct 14, 2021
hello liam;)

I have the same problem and this doesnt help any tips ?? :(