Question Rx 580 too much heat and power?

Evil Mastermind

Reputable
Apr 9, 2016
I recently brought used rx 580 and its temps were Max 78 with average being around 76 C with fan 90%. The card alone was talking about 200 watts. My gpu model is Red devil Golden. I was wondering if that is normal or do I have super used card? I ran Heaven Benchmark for about 8-9 min. I have it on silent OC although I dont think it doing anything?

Last edited:

h0pT0 Gaming

Commendable
Jul 20, 2019
I recently brought used rx 580 and its temps were Max 78 with average being around 76 C with fan 90%. The card alone was talking about 200 watts. My gpu model is Red devil Golden. I was wondering if that is normal or do I have super used card? I ran Heaven Benchmark for about 8-9 min. I have it on silent OC although I dont think it doing anything?
It may be weird to see temperatures as high as that but maybe because its used the previous person messed around with some of the settings. Try downloading MSI Afterburner as you can easily change clock speeds and temperature limits.
Hope this helps :)

4745454b

Titan
The 580 is a 150-180W card. Depending on model/clock speeds. Your temps sound a bit high, but I'm not shocked by the numbers you gave. If you bought it used did you open the cooler and make sure it's super clean? You might want to make sure it's free of dust . It could drop your temps. You should also look at the voltage used and make sure whoever you bought it from wasn't OCing and over volting it. If used as a mining card they might have thought it was correct to supply it the most voltage and clocks.

Edit: Mod hat on. Someone came in and hijacked the thread. I deleted all the off topic replies. If you have a problem you should open your own thread. Hijacking someone's thread for your own issue is considered rude.

Another thing to do is remove the heatsink and replace the thermal paste. That lowered my GPU temps by 10C at 1000rpm slower fan speed.

I'm currently stress testing my [re-pasted] MSI GamingX RX480 @ 1400MHz/1150mV for the past half hour and it's sitting at a nice 72C @ 1100rpm fans (22%). Can't even tell it's working.
*Room temp is approx 25C, 2x120mm intake fans @ 1200 & 1400rpm and 1x120mm AIO exhaust in my mATX Silverstone PS07.
GPUz is reporting GPU-only power draw at 135W. That could be 10-20W low from my experience, but it's good enough to use for comparison.

Last edited: