[SOLVED] Rx 590 or Gtx 1660?

Sharry_1

Reputable
Sep 21, 2016
So, i'm building a gaming pc and i need advice on this topic.
I'm confused. The gtx 1660 for $227.79 while the Rx 590 is for $258.29
The main thing here is the VRAM. the 1660 has 6GB of VRAM while the Rx 590 has 8GB. Will this hurt me in the future in any way? considering the rise in texture detail and stuff, 8GB seems really tempting.
Also, the memory interface on gtx 1660 is 192-bit while rx 590 has 256-bit. will this degrade performance significantly or anything? i guess not as the 1660 actually performs better than the rx 590 in many games. AND it consumes less power.
The Gtx 1660 is a little better than the Rx 590 in benchmarks in almost all titles, and it seems like the perfect value for money option here.
I'm using the i5 - 9400f processor along with either of these and a 2x4gb ddr4 2400mhz ram. The PSU is 450W
All help would be appreciated, thank u so much.

Solution
i think 1660 still better choice even if they only come with 6GB. remember you don't need to push every setting to ultra. things like texture for example usually hard to spot the different even between medium and ultra unless you have side by side pictures to compare them. but texture eat a lot of VRAM.

Sharry_1

Reputable
Sep 21, 2016
i think 1660 still better choice even if they only come with 6GB. remember you don't need to push every setting to ultra. things like texture for example usually hard to spot the different even between medium and ultra unless you have side by side pictures to compare them. but texture eat a lot of VRAM.
Thank you so much, I think you are right!

Jul 6, 2019
Just as a word of warning to anyone else who's thinking about this. I picked up an RX590. I was curious about AMD as I had been always picked up Nvidia cards. I have NEVER had issues with ANY component like I have had with this card. It took me what felt like forever just to get the drivers properly installed. For whatever reason, the instillation creeps up to 44% and just hangs there for 10 minutes. Then you're screen will flash black and it will continue to crawl up to 100% IF it decides to not crash on you and then you're right back to square one. The latest bit of exceptionalism is that it decided, a few days after a driver update, that my HDMI audio no longer exists. The video still works just not the audio, go fig. I cannot stress enough that this was a few days after the update. Yes, I tried rolling back my drivers, I tried reinstalling my drivers, I've waited for new drivers but this card has decided that I don't need to hear from my surround sound in my home theater set up.

I gave the other side a chance and unfortunately it was not worth my time or the free copy of RE2. I don't believe I'll be going back.