Question RX 6600 XT won't utilise more than half of it's power while gaming ?

Relinkosed

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
A few days ago I got a Sapphire Pulse RX 6600XT for my i7-4770 system with 16gb of 1600ghz ram and a MSI B85M-P33 motherboard. But the issue I'm having is that the GPU never uses all of it's power while gaming, while playing BF5 on ultra at 1080p the card rarely goes above ~40% usage, with only drawing like 30w, which makes the game play at around 55fps when it should be doing way more when drawing more power. Similar thing happens in Cyberpunk 2077 as well.

I tested the card in Unigine Superposition 1080p extreme and there the card behaves normally, drawing around 130-140w with constant 95%-100% usage, and the scores are on par with other published results from other uses on the website for the RX 6600XT.

I tried making individual profiles for games in Adrenaline, where the minimum clocks in those specific games would be 10% less than max clocks, with no results. Also changed the power options in Windows to be on high and nothing changed.

Lowering the resolution helped a bit and made the fps at around 70fps with the same load on the GPU, the same happened when the resolution stayed 1080p but the details were lowered.

Before getting the card the I did a full AMD driver uninstall and DDU as well. And when I put the RX 6600XT in I installed fresh latest drivers.

This CPU is suppose to be able to pump out 100fps at least, even a RX 580 with it was able to pump more numbers on ultra 1080p, video here
View: https://youtu.be/rMtBwWBk538

What should I do? How do I fix this?

There is nothing wrong with your new graphics card, it's doing exactly what I would expect given the rest of your system.

Your CPU is 10 years old, trying to run games like Cyberpunk 2077 is really at the limit of what's possible. To make matters worse, you're only at 1080p which is where the CPU has to work the hardest compared to say 4K where the GPU has to do a lot more work. Benchmarks are much easier to run, and that's why you're seeing much better results there.

There really is no fix, your system is old and a full upgrade is the only way to run modern AAA games at any decent fps.

D

Deleted member 2838871

That's correct. ^

You can't expect top performance on modern games running a 10 year old CPU especially at 1080p.

Reactions: Relinkosed

Relinkosed

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
That's fair but why does it perform better with an older GPU like RX 580 in the video, or like a RX 480 which I had before the RX 6600XT? That's my real issue. Older cards are outperforming it on the same settings, on the same platform.

May 29, 2023
There's a chance that the games you're playing are not fully optimized for your RX 6600 XT. It's relatively common for new hardware to experience some teething issues upon release, and it often takes a while for game developers to fully optimize their software for these new GPUs. This could explain why older GPUs appear to perform better in some cases.

Also, you might want to double-check that you have the latest drivers installed for your RX 6600 XT. AMD released the Adrenalin Edition 23.4.3 drivers recently, which you can find here. Updating your drivers could potentially help improve performance.

D

Deleted member 2947362

That's fair but why does it perform better with an older GPU like RX 580 in the video, or like a RX 480 which I had before the RX 6600XT? That's my real issue. Older cards are outperforming it on the same settings, on the same platform.
x8 3.0 PCIe maybe? but I'm not sure it makes to much difference?

your motherboard is running the card at half it's total through put on it's PCIe 3.0 slot but how much of the impact this has I don't know just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

Relinkosed

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
There's a chance that the games you're playing are not fully optimized for your RX 6600 XT. It's relatively common for new hardware to experience some teething issues upon release, and it often takes a while for game developers to fully optimize their software for these new GPUs. This could explain why older GPUs appear to perform better in some cases.

Also, you might want to double-check that you have the latest drivers installed for your RX 6600 XT. AMD released the Adrenalin Edition 23.4.3 drivers recently, which you can find here. Updating your drivers could potentially help improve performance.
The driver installed is the latest one from AMD's website, version 23.5.2.
A key thing to do would be look at the CPU usage when the GPU usage is low. If the CPU usage is high then you have your problem.
CPU usage is around 70% to 80% in the described scenarios.
x8 3.0 PCIe maybe? but I'm not sure it makes to much difference?

your motherboard is running the card at half it's total through put on it's PCIe 3.0 slot but how much of the impact this has I don't know just a thought.
From the videos that I've watched on Youtube comparing RX 6600XT performance on PCIe 3 and PCIe 4 platforms, the difference in FPS is negligible.

CPU usage is around 70% to 80% in the described scenarios.
Is this CPU usage consistent with what it was using your other card?

Two things I'd suggest doing as you've already done all of the standard troubleshooting:
1) Grab HWMonitor or something similar which will show individual core usage so you can see if any cores are being maxed out (90%+ typically)

2) Cyberpunk has a built in benchmark check the individual CPU core and GPU usage in HWMonitor while running that.