Question RX5700XT Driver Timeout Only with Newer drivers

DemonHouseMaid

Reputable
Mar 5, 2020
I've had to roll back my RX5700XT drivers to a version from 2019- if I don't, particularly on source engine games such as Team Fortress 2 and Garrys Mod but also No Man's Sky- I get random driver timeouts which cause the game to crash, usually extremely briefly after loading into a match for source engine games and within an hour for NMS. I've tried everything from fresh install of windows, updating windows and BIOS, fresh install of the games etc. they only work when I use an extremely old 2019 driver.
This is obviously not ideal, I want to be able to use the latest drivers but I can't until I overcome my problem. I handed my graphics card to a friend and he could use the latest drivers without any issues. Any ideas?

I've had this setup and never ran into a problem until maybe around 2020-2021. Something has changed, not sure what. Any help is appreciated.

Specs:
Intel i9-10900
Gigabyte Z490UD Motherboard
16GB DDR4 RAM
Gigabyte RX5700XT
Windows 10 Pro

Ralston18

Titan
Where did you get the old 2019 drivers - source?

Did you manually download the drivers and do your own reinstall and reconfigure? Or use some third party tool or installer?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy gaming use?

Could be some corrupted Windows files - some original problem and now more problems as a result of the crashes.etc..

Start by running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

You can look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some relevant error codes, warnings, or informational events.

DemonHouseMaid

Reputable
Mar 5, 2020
Where did you get the old 2019 drivers - source?

Did you manually download the drivers and do your own reinstall and reconfigure? Or use some third party tool or installer?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy gaming use?

Could be some corrupted Windows files - some original problem and now more problems as a result of the crashes.etc..

Start by running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

You can look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some relevant error codes, warnings, or informational events.
Hi- I got the drivers from Gigabyte's website. They still list a 2019 version of the drivers for my model graphics card. All other versions besides the 2019 version I've got, I downloaded directly from AMD's website... maybe I should try downloading the modern driver from Gigabyte's website?
PSU was new to build, a 850W power supply. Thermaltake brand from memory, I think the PC build was in 2020? Remember, I already tried a fresh install of windows and have done sfc scannow. Reliability and event viewer haven't really shown anything specific.

ALSO BIG BREAKTHROUGH: Lowering the resolution of the affected games gets rid of the crashing completely. I have a 3440 x 1440 ultrawide monitor and I lowered resolution to 1920 x 1080 and it works. Haven't tried other resolutions in between yet though.