Question RX590 Brand New High End Setup Microstuttering / Tearing / Low FPS / Crashing

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stelewatkins

Reputable
Dec 30, 2018
Just built a brand new PC yesterday.

I basically can't play much at all without crashing a few minutes into most games.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 crashes within 3-4 minutes, upon adjusting "Power Limit" to -50% in Global Wattman, the game did NOT crash, I was able to play a full round, however frames were less than optimal on my current high settings. Not a solution.

I'm surprised there isn't more documentation on this problem.

Windows 10 64 Bit Home
AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
Sapphire RX 590 Nitro+ Special Edition 8GB
Corsair Force MP300 128GB / Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Corsair 550W
ASUS B450-F Strix

Edit: Also the PSU is not the problem, I've seen that suggested in multiple threads however it hasn't solved anyone's problem. My PSU is more than optimal as stated by the manufacturer to withstand the usage requirements of this card.

stelewatkins

Reputable
Dec 30, 2018
So I got 2 new stick, replaced them. Wasn't crashing all day. Multiple 1 hour long sessions on Battlefront 2. Then I finally play with my friends tonight and about 30 minutes in I crash, however there is no message in the Windows Event Viewer this time. No "display adapter stopped responding" no "live kernel event."

Jan 11, 2019
Hi, I have the same problem. I have excluded problems with power supply, CPU cooling (avg. temp. doesn't go above 50C). I have clean installed Win10 and tested all newest drivers:18.12.2., 18.2.3, 18.2.4. and still it crashes randomly. I'm about to send back card to claim warranty, but some user from AMD Community advised me to change Wattman settings. You might want to give it a try. I'm going to test it for myself today as a last resort.
https://community.amd.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-2894015-143671/RadeonSettings_2018-12-27_02-06-06.png

I would appreciate your feedback if you decide to try this setting.
Link to the post:
https://community.amd.com/message/2893917#comment-2893917

P.S. Why card doesn't work out of the box with default software settings is beyond me...

stelewatkins

Reputable
Dec 30, 2018

Yeah, this whole case is making me sick to my stomach. Such a waste of time and money. How do non tech savvy people deal with this? Are they just lucky enough to never have to deal with these problems? Lmao. I don't think tweaking your card will fix the issue. Plus if you had to tweak something out of the box / underclock / whatever, that's not even a solution in my book

Jan 11, 2019

Jan 11, 2019
I see that posts about the same issue are popping out on various forums. Since this card has just been released we can probably expect more of these coming.
On the other hand, the retailer whom I bought this card from, told me that he had sold dozen of this card so far and I'm the first customer having such issue.
XFX Tech Support advised me "test it with other PC, if problem still exist the card is probably faulty", like it was something very easy to do...I bought this card middle of December and have lost a lot of time already. I temporarily switched to my old RX380 and it works like a charm.
There might be some sweet spot in the Wattman settings which prevent these crashes because I have better results with other but it always crashed eventually (after 1h of playing instead of 5 min...) I fully agree with you that any tweaking out of the box to allow for smooth user experience should not even be an option.

P.S. I found some other post where guy said he reverted back to old drivers (17.2) and it works for him.

stelewatkins

Reputable
Dec 30, 2018
Looks like it’s us working on this together then. So far I’ve replace the card itself and RAM. No luck, however I feel like I’m crashing much less? After the RAM experiments I’ve done. Not sure. But I’m assuming it’s not fixed. I’ve read hundreds of posts trying to find solutions. My retailer is sapphire and they’ve also told me to swap machines but I can’t. I’ll let you know if I find a solution.

Also I’ve tried all driver versions.

Jan 11, 2019
OK. I'll work on that in the evening, because I'm in work now. I also suspected RAM at some point because I added two bricks at the same time I purchased the card but I have ran memory test and everything seemed ok. I also changed radiator and CPU cooling and cleaned the whole PC (overheating CPU was an issue at some point).
Do you use any third party antivirus ? I'm asking because Avast was causing my whole system to crash (Microsoft Tech Support analyzed my dump files) so it might have caused some issues with GPU as well.
I will put RX590 again into my PC and test it for one final time. My Win10 is fresh installed, I have Avast uninstalled, so I will give it a last try:

1) On default setting - and if any crash still occures...
2) On this settings https://community.amd.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-2894015-143671/RadeonSettings_2018-12-27_02-06-06.png

This is going to be my final test before sending this card back.
I'll give you my feedback when it's done.
Cheers

P.S. It seems that swapping of card between PC's is their standard answer to this issue (probably because they know it's hard to do for an average user...)

Jan 11, 2019
OK. I checked these settings and nothing changed. System was even more unstable. I had freezes and crashes after 3-4 minutes of play. Sometimes even in Windows, before launching the game. I sent the card back and I'm waiting for another one. Unfortunately, I can't just switch to GTX becasue I have just recently bought 32"Monitor with AMD Freesync...There is however another Wattman setting which I will try if the problem still exist with the new card (I have a feeling that this problem will come back).
https://community.amd.com/thread/235676

stelewatkins

Reputable
Dec 30, 2018
hey, promised myself I would remember to update this thread if I found the solution! so the computer hasn't crashed a single time besides on fluke as mentioned before with no error... this was all solved by RMA'ing my RAM... I also updated to the most current AMD driver which was 19.1.1 on the same day as the replacement RAM came in, however when I did away with the supposed one bad stick of the two I had originally bought, my PC was running without crashes as well before the replacements came in... so I think the driver was unrelated to fixing but I just thought id throw that in there... thanks for everyones help!

Jan 23, 2019
hey, promised myself I would remember to update this thread if I found the solution! so the computer hasn't crashed a single time besides on fluke as mentioned before with no error... this was all solved by RMA'ing my RAM... I also updated to the most current AMD driver which was 19.1.1 on the same day as the replacement RAM came in, however when I did away with the supposed one bad stick of the two I had originally bought, my PC was running without crashes as well before the replacements came in... so I think the driver was unrelated to fixing but I just thought id throw that in there... thanks for everyones help!
I'm having the same problem and I'm using the FurMark to test. Download this software and test by clicking on "GPU stress test".
I already sent the GPU to the store where I bought it and they said everything was fine. I went to another store to see what was wrong and the computer was two days with Furmark running and dont crash.
I began to suspect that the problem is in my electrical grid because in the store and in the house of my parents it doesn't crash.
My next attempt will be to buy a voltage regulator to check if it solves my problem.

Jan 23, 2019
I found the problem, It was my monitor! I have a monitor with only VGA and I use a converter from VGA to HDMI. When I have a outlet overload, the monitor discharge in to the graphics card and the PSU shutdown.
I will try connect this monitor with an adapter VGA to DVI.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You'll get the same results. As long as the monitor is spiking the connection, it won't matter if it's hdmi or dvi, it'll still hit the gpu.

The best answer is a decent UPS, which uses a battery either in conjunction with or instead of the electric grid. UPS are not so much surge protection, as they are surge prevention. It'll stop any brown-out/spike from your grid before it hits the pc/monitor.

mrpb5525

Reputable
Aug 28, 2017
Just built a brand new PC yesterday.

I basically can't play much at all without crashing a few minutes into most games.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 crashes within 3-4 minutes, upon adjusting "Power Limit" to -50% in Global Wattman, the game did NOT crash, I was able to play a full round, however frames were less than optimal on my current high settings. Not a solution.

I'm surprised there isn't more documentation on this problem.

Windows 10 64 Bit Home
AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
Corsair 550W
ASUS B450-F Strix

Edit: Also the PSU is not the problem, I've seen that suggested in multiple threads however it hasn't solved anyone's problem. My PSU is more than optimal as stated by the manufacturer to withstand the usage requirements of this card.
I think I know what the answer to this...550 watts? With that kind of system hardware and you are giving it 550 watts? I have an AMD FX8350, 20gigs of ram with the rx590, I am thinking that my 750watt PS is a little shy. Try a 1000 watt PS. your powerhouse is starved for power.

mrpb5525

Reputable
Aug 28, 2017

stelewatkins

Reputable
Dec 30, 2018
Excuse me [friend], I don't know if you're still following this thread but I'm going to drop the link for the system requirements as stated by the manufacture for my card.

Also, you may want to re-read the original post before you go off next time. The card is obviously stated as an RX590 multiple times, not a [wonderful] fatboy ffs...

http://sapphirenitro.sapphiretech.com/en/590-SE.html#specifications

Mod edit for language

Last edited by a moderator:

stelewatkins

Reputable
Dec 30, 2018
Windows 10 64 Bit Home
AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
Corsair CX Series 550 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular
ASUS B450-F Strix
Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 3000 MT/s
Asus VG245H 24 inchFull HD 1080p

So basically, I just built this PC 2 months ago and all of my games have been performing poorly ever since.
This computer used to crash 2 minutes into every game, so far that has stopped or is now very rare.
I had a thread for that btw - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/rx590-crashing-during-gameplay.3426316/?view=date

Symptoms:
Microstutter on almost every game. Even old games like KOTOR 2, disgusting microstutter, unsmooth camera movements, jittery horrid gameplay.
Low FPS on Arma 3, I swear when I first booted Arma 3 ran at over 80 fps, and now I'm getting like 30?????????????
Was getting massive screen tears on Assassin's Creed Odyssey, practically unplayable. Embarrassing for this setup.
THE ONLY GAME I DONT LAG ON IS OLD SCHOOL RUNESCAPE OBVIOUSLY :)

So far, I have RMA'd both the RAM and the GPU.
I've DDU'd multiple times / Windows Updated / I've tried all driver reinstallations etc.
Manufacturer states this RX590 is recommended along with a 500W PSU / PC Partpicker states total consumption is even less than that.
For every single game and problem I've had I have tried every combination of Free-Sync or V-Sync or Power Management to fix or optimize to no avail.

Would appreciate any insight into this topic, thanks.

Last edited:

stelewatkins

Reputable
Dec 30, 2018
I'd also like to add that nothing I ever did fixed this crashing problem. To this day I've still had crashes every once and a while but no where NEAR as much as I used to. I consider it fixed. The only thing that has been altering my system is the occasional driver update for the card. Which I'm assuming is what's helping the crashes go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.