grantbaby80

Prominent
Jan 30, 2022
Can anyone tell me how the Rog Ryujin II 360 AIO gets it's pump speed info ? Armoury Crate shows the pump speed but the display shows the AIO pump rpm at 0. Without a connection to the motherboard's AIO pump connector, how does it get it's AIO pump rpm info? HWinfo64 and AIDA64 do not show pump speed either without something being connected to the mobo AIO connector. Can anyone help me solve this mystery so I can get back to my life not thinking about this all the time?? Thanks for any info! Btw, I had to connect the cpu fans to the mobo cpu fan header so they would display. Thanks

Asus ROG Strix B-550 F Gaming mobo
AMD 5800x
Msi RTX 3080 Suprim X

Solution
Without a connection to the motherboard's AIO pump connector, how does it get it's AIO pump rpm info?
if your pump is not connected to the motherboard then it will not be running so it should be showing 0.
if it is connected then the OLED will get this information from the motherboard.

earlier Ryujin coolers used a USB 2.0 connection to the motherboard and Armoury Crate would read these stats to report pump speed and other system information.
if this Ryujin II only uses a 4pin AIO_PUMP motherboard header then it more than likely needs to be connected there for proper stats to be reported.
if your board does not offer a AIO_PUMP header then you may need to contact ASUS to determine what you should do about it.
HWinfo64 and...
Without a connection to the motherboard's AIO pump connector, how does it get it's AIO pump rpm info?
if your pump is not connected to the motherboard then it will not be running so it should be showing 0.
if it is connected then the OLED will get this information from the motherboard.

earlier Ryujin coolers used a USB 2.0 connection to the motherboard and Armoury Crate would read these stats to report pump speed and other system information.
if this Ryujin II only uses a 4pin AIO_PUMP motherboard header then it more than likely needs to be connected there for proper stats to be reported.
if your board does not offer a AIO_PUMP header then you may need to contact ASUS to determine what you should do about it.
HWinfo64 and AIDA64 do not show pump speed
most 3rd party software cannot read individual cooler's info.
whether this would be a fan, a pump, or some other device connected to that 4pin header these 3rd party apps cannot distinguish so them labeling it "pump speed" wouldn't make sense.

Solution

grantbaby80

Prominent
Jan 30, 2022
This cooler only has a USB 2.0 connector and mobo 3 pin ARGB connector. It does not use a 4 pin AIO connector. My board has one but there is no cable provided to connect to it. If Armoury Crate shows the pump speed, why does the display show 0 rpm's is my question? The pump speed can be adjusted through Armoury Crate, at least I think it does, it's so quiet the only way to tell is lower it all the way down and see if the temp rises. Also, the LCD displayed temp is 8-10 degrees cooler than actual temp because it gets it's reading from the socket temp and not the cpu. I can't find any info about this on-line and I really don't want to contact tech support. Thanks for responding!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That cooler system makes no connection to any mobo fan header for the pump. So there is no place in BIOS Setup that can see pump speed and display it for you. Likewise no third-party software can get that info from the mobo.

The software tool provided with that system, Armoury Crate, communicates with the pump unit via the cable connection to a mobo USB2 header. It can read a pump speed signal sent from the pump. But no other software can get access to that into.

You are puzzled also by "but the display shows the AIO pump rpm at 0." What display? If you are talking about BIOS Setup info, it cannot read that pump speed, as above.

By the way, on MOST AIO systems the intent is that the pump speeed always should be at full speed. Only the RAD FANS' speeds are adjusted (by the mobo CPU_FAN header, if that's how you have cnnected those fans) to control cooling of the CPU.

grantbaby80

Prominent
Jan 30, 2022
The display I'm referring to is the LCD display on the pump head. The Ryujin II 360 uses a 3.5" full color LCD display. Armoury Crate shows the pump speed but when you apply the monitored settings to the display, everything works except the pump rpm, which shows 0 rpm.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I assume you must be using the cable from the pump to the USB2 mobo header, or Armory Crate could not read anything. A normal pump running full speed will be somewhere in the 2000 to 3500 RPM range. If you are getting a realistic speed reading for the pump from Armory Crate but zero on the pump's display panel, the I'd say that display is faulty. HOWEVER, if the Armory Crate pump speed reading is very odd, you may have a real problem. What does it say?

You think that Armory Crate can adjust the pump speed. Why do you say that? Does that tool offer a way to set pump speed? If so, when you use that, does it display a new pump speed? You indicate it's hard to tell if pump speed has changed unless you set it very slow. So maybe that's a clue - if Armory Crate is set to very slow and shows that slow speed, AND the pump FEELS like it is slow, then that indicates the pump and Armory Crate are working properly.

grantbaby80

Prominent
Jan 30, 2022
The usb 2 cable runs from the mobo header to the pump. The pump has a usb cable that runs to a provided controller hub. The hub uses sata power and has 4-4 pin fan out and 4-3 pin RGB out. It uses a mobo ARGB cable in. I did not use the hub for cpu fans, I connected them to the cpu fan connector on the mobo for pwm operation. Now, in the Armoury Crate software, there is a fan control tab. It has 2 settings, "smart mode" and "fixed rpm mode". This is where all fan and pump rpm's are shown and can be adjusted. There are three items in the fan list, embedded micro fan, pump, and AIO fan controller. I have the micro fan and pump set to the fixed rpm mode. Pump at 100% and micro fan at 50%. The AIO fan controller is set on smart mode but is reading 0 rpm also. The pump and micro fan seem to adjust ok in fixed mode. Again, if Armoury Crate can set the pump speed, why can't it display it to the LCD screen? Without something being connected to the mobo AIO connector, I guess it can't. Poor design? I don't know. I hope I explained this clear enough.

it's likely that this "pump speed" feature for the OLED display hasn't been implemented yet.
i've seen a couple other reports of users with the Ryujin II 360 also showing 0 pump speed.

the original Ryujin 360 doesn't offer "pump speed" as an option so i couldn't tell you first hand.

just skip that option for now and make sure it is running at 100% in Armoury Crate.

Reactions: grantbaby80

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for excellent detail, OP. I agree with reponses above. Just a note. That AIO system cannot tell you the speed of the rad fans because its ONLY way to know that would be if those fans were plugged into the system's Controller Hub. You have opted to have those fans plugged into the mobo CPU_FAN header and controlled from there, which is just fine. But the AIO system's Contrller / Hub does not know where those rad fans are connected. It only knows it is not receeiving a speed signal from them at its fan port. So that's not really a problem, and the rad fans' speed CAN be shown to you by the CPU_FAN header where they ARE connected.

grantbaby80

Prominent
Jan 30, 2022
Yes, I agree. When the fans are connected to the controller/hub, Armoury Crate could read fan RPM, but only display 0 rpm on the LCD screen. When connected to the CPU_Fan header, the LCD now shows the correct RPM, but Armoury Crate now shows 0 RPM. That's the reason I opted to connect to the CPU_FAN header. Just think Asus could of thought this out a little better.

think Asus could of thought this out a little better.
yeah, hopefully with some software updates they could work out these issues but it seems rather dumb on ASUS's part to have released the "updated" version of the hardware without having first worked out these issues.
i've seen users complaining of the same issues on multiple forums now.

have you checked ASUS's own forums for feedback from ASUS directly?
they don't seem to respond much to user complaint threads on there but i've gotten a few employees that offered some help with different issues.

maybe if enough customers file support requests regarding the hardware and enough feedback on their forums they would speed up a fix or alternative solution(s).
When the fans are connected to the controller/hub, Armoury Crate could read fan RPM, but only display 0 rpm on the LCD screen. When connected to the CPU_Fan header, the LCD now shows the correct RPM, but Armoury Crate now shows 0 RPM.
this really doesn't make sense for them to design it this way.
the previous version has no issue reporting CPU_FAN header stats to both Armoury Crate & the OLED display so i don't get why they would change that.
and if they want users to only use the included hub then why break the contact to the onboard display?

grantbaby80

Prominent
Jan 30, 2022
yeah, hopefully with some software updates they could work out these issues but it seems rather dumb on ASUS's part to have released the "updated" version of the hardware without having first worked out these issues.
i've seen users complaining of the same issues on multiple forums now.

have you checked ASUS's own forums for feedback from ASUS directly?
they don't seem to respond much to user complaint threads on there but i've gotten a few employees that offered some help with different issues.

maybe if enough customers file support requests regarding the hardware and enough feedback on their forums they would speed up a fix or alternative solution(s).

this really doesn't make sense for them to design it this way.
the previous version has no issue reporting CPU_FAN header stats to both Armoury Crate & the OLED display so i don't get why they would change that.
and if they want users to only use the included hub then why break the contact to the onboard display?
I don't know, makes no sense to me either. I was just trying to keep most if not all my parts the same manufacturer so stuff would play nice together. Guess that's asking too much these days. I haven't tried Asus's forum yet but I will. Thanks for the input!

Apr 6, 2022
When I first set up my Ryujin II it displayed the Flowrate as 30 L/M, I got a new case and after getting everything reset up, Now it shows 0 L/M. Otherwise is shows CPU package Temp, Chipset fan speed, CPU Frequency, And CPU Voltage just fine..... And I know the pump is working or else the CPU temp would skyrocket after sometime.

Apr 17, 2022
Ryujin II : Up until today's update 18th April 2022, AIO pump speed reading display still has not been rectified on ASUS armoury crates. And yes because they utilized the USB as IO for comm instead of onboard (MB) AIO pump header. But the pump speed is showing just fine in the 'Fan Control' tab on Crate. But they either forgot to include / switch it in the display module in the corresponding / last updates or they're still figuring out how to do so. And NO the pump won't spin at full speed at all times. In addition you can customize the PWM curve vs CPU °C.

As for the CPU Temp, please be aware there're more than one sensors selection (MB / CPU). Choose the 'CPU Package'

Ryujin II still has glitches and bugs here and there. But nothing critical. I have no idea how the Asus AIO production team works or what their status are. Their patches seems a bit slow. However I can still say their hardware monitor display is the best in their category / class. The Corsair Hydro series (e.g H100i) cannot even display any voltage reading in decimal places (floating point) and ended up rounding a core voltage to 1V :LOL:.

I really hope they gonna add CPU Package wattage / power consumption / thermal throttle in the next updates.

Last edited: