Ryzen 1600 or Intel i5 7600K?

seviitor

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
So im building my new computer and im so tied up in which cpu to go for. Both have their advantages but which one will give me the best performance in games and the odd bit of editing/rendering? The i5 is £40 more and dosent come with a “good” cooler which means id have to spend another £40 for a cpu cooler. Will getting an intel really justify this £80 (ish) price increase?

Also whats better the 7770k or 8400?

Here is my build so far
CPU - TBD
GPU - GTX 1070ti
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS B350f
RAM - CORSAIR VENGENCE 16GB DDR4
SSD - KINGSTON 120GB
HD - SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB
CASE - NZXT S340 ELITE
PSU - TBD (any recommendations for a good and quite one?)

Thanks.

Solution

The performance difference between AMD and Intel core to core isn't as big as it once was, and mostly comes down to Intel being able to achieve higher clockspeeds on their unlocked CPUs, eg. i5 8600k can usually hit 5.0GHz, while older Ryzen chips cap out at 4.0GHz maximum and the latest release eg. 2700x, 2600x etc. tends to top out at around 4.2GHz or so. When talking about locked Intel chips like the i5 8400 that can't be overclocked, the game performance difference is usually fairly small, though there are some titles where Intel still pulls a head a fair bit, eg. Far Cry Primal. The Ryzen chip will have more...
The 7600k isn't worthwhile anymore unless you can get it at a huge discount. The i5 8400 or 8600k are more competitive vs. the R5 1600 because they have 6 cores rather than the 4 cores on the 7600k. If the R5 1600 and the i5 7600k are your only two options, then the R5 1600 is usually the better choice, particularly for newer games and rendering. Some older CPU heavy titles would run better on the 7600k, but the 7600k struggles on some newer CPU heavy games due to lack of threads and rendering performance would be a good deal worse compared to the 1600.

The performance difference between AMD and Intel core to core isn't as big as it once was, and mostly comes down to Intel being able to achieve higher clockspeeds on their unlocked CPUs, eg. i5 8600k can usually hit 5.0GHz, while older Ryzen chips cap out at 4.0GHz maximum and the latest release eg. 2700x, 2600x etc. tends to top out at around 4.2GHz or so. When talking about locked Intel chips like the i5 8400 that can't be overclocked, the game performance difference is usually fairly small, though there are some titles where Intel still pulls a head a fair bit, eg. Far Cry Primal. The Ryzen chip will have more threads making it better for rendering.

Solution