Ryzen 1700 with B450 board?

Oct 8, 2018
Hi!

So long story short, I’m condensing my current system down from ATX to ITX as I don’t feel the need for the extra space.

My current specs are:
Case: NZXT H440
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
CPU Cooler: Wraith Spire
RAM: 16GB Corsair LED
GPU: MSI 1070 Gaming X
Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Plus
PSU: Corsair RM750x
SSD: HyperX 240GB
HDD: 1TB WD Black

I’ve decided on the case I want which is the NZXT H200i, now I just need to choose an ITX motherboard. I’ve been told going from B350/X370 to B450/X470 there is better RAM speed compatibility as well as better OC stability for your CPU. I have a budget of around £100, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are essential.

This is the motherboard I am very interested in: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450I-GAMING-PLUS-AC/Overview

My question is, will the Ryzen 7 1700 be compatible with a B450 motherboard? Will I be able to achieve mild overclocks and my RAM running at 2933mhz? I don’t want to do anything crazy as I am using the stock cooler, ideally I’d like to reach 3.8ghz but I’d be happy with 3.6ghz. I know going with an X470 is better overall but I don’t have the budget for it and I don’t intend on doing any crazy overclocks. Will I encounter any problems?

Thanks guy!

Solution
You should have no problems at all putting the 1700 on a B450 motherboard. Mild overclocks should be fine as well. I don't foresee you having any issues with what you are trying to do.
Oct 8, 2018
Thank you for responding so quickly! Another question... how do you think my overall temps will be going from ATX to ITX? ATM I have really good temps, idling in the 30’s and stressing in the 60’s.

Well, you can expect moderately higher temps as you are moving to a more enclosed space with less airflow, but a good ITX case will have smarter airflow than an ATX. The only thing I'd worry about is the stock cooler having clearance in an ITX case. If you were to see a 5C jump in temps it'd be on the high side of expected. So, I'd expect to see less than that... then again I just had a look at the case as I wasn't familiar with the model number, and it is larger than I expected for an ITX system... you'll have no problems in that pretty little box.

TRENDING THREADS