[SOLVED] Ryzen 1700 Wont Run Stock

seanycarey

Reputable
Jan 17, 2018
PC starts to bluescreen after resetting cmos/cpu settings to factory, must manually change voltage very high to boot and stay in windows 10.

Board is MSi B350 Krait Gaming, CPU is R7 1700, ram is Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB 3200mhz), GPU is RTX2070 and PSU is more than enough. BiOS version is latest non-beta for the respective board.

Basically, cpu works fine say locked 3300mhz 1.5v but cannot boot into the factory settings. Cpu wasnt always like this, any hints as to what may be going on?

Troubleshooting I’ve Done: Reinstall windows, reseat all but CPU (no thermal paste on hand), uninstall Ryzen Master, uninstall all graphics and amd drivers then reinstall.

Solution
Well even that wont work. I cannot access windows and do rhings without crashing anymore w/o setting the cpu to at least 1.5. 1.45 is unstable. I just have never heard of a cpu that just doesnt work after a cmos reset and default values loaded. Ridiculous if its degraded for seemingly no reason, I dont have the money to replace it unless I do a yard sale or something.
How are you determining what VCore voltage the CPU is actually operating at? Many utilities aren't particularly accurate about that so if you don't have it get HWInfo64 and look at the SVI2/TFN vcore voltage. That's the voltage the CPU cores are actually getting.

seanycarey

Reputable
Jan 17, 2018
Have you tried a CMOS reset?

Have you been overclocking the CPU? what clock speed and voltage? for how long? What cooling do you use?

1.5V is pretty darn high, way more than needed for a 1700 at 3.3Ghz.
I tried CMOS reset. No dice.
Have not been overclocking recently, current settings are factory (right after the cmos reset) and I bluescreen a few moments after getting into windows. What I might add is that safe mode works no issue, though I have tried a complete reinstall of windows and that failed (even after nuking the drives).
I use an H60 cooler, at the mentioned 3.3ghz 1.5v I averaged 40c ambient 70-76c under use.

...at the mentioned 3.3ghz 1.5v I averaged 40c ambient 70-76c under use.

3.3Ghz is rather low even at 100Mhz above it's base speed of 3.2Ghz so those temps aren't surprising at 1.5V. But I would think you could find it stable at 1.25V or lower there.

I'd not want to run it at more than 1.425V under any circumstances, even overclocking to 3.95Ghz. If you can't get it stable at 3.3Ghz and 1.375V max then the CPU could be degraded to the point it's about to die.

seanycarey

Reputable
Jan 17, 2018
3.3Ghz is rather low even at 100Mhz above it's base speed of 3.2Ghz so those temps aren't surprising at 1.5V. But I would think you could find it stable at 1.25V or lower there.

I'd not want to run it at more than 1.425V under any circumstances, even overclocking to 3.95Ghz. If you can't get it stable at 3.3Ghz and 1.375V max then the CPU could be degraded to the point it's about to die.
Well even that wont work. I cannot access windows and do rhings without crashing anymore w/o setting the cpu to at least 1.5. 1.45 is unstable. I just have never heard of a cpu that just doesnt work after a cmos reset and default values loaded. Ridiculous if its degraded for seemingly no reason, I dont have the money to replace it unless I do a yard sale or something.

I tried CMOS reset. No dice.
Have not been overclocking recently, current settings are factory (right after the cmos reset) and I bluescreen a few moments after getting into windows. What I might add is that safe mode works no issue, though I have tried a complete reinstall of windows and that failed (even after nuking the drives).
I use an H60 cooler, at the mentioned 3.3ghz 1.5v I averaged 40c ambient 70-76c under use.
Have you tried another PSU ? Working normally in safe mode but not outside this setting points eventually to the PSU (in safe mode certain thinks are disabled, and you simply need less power)

Last edited:
How are you determining what VCore voltage the CPU is actually operating at? Many utilities aren't particularly accurate about that so if you don't have it get HWInfo64 and look at the SVI2/TFN vcore voltage. That's the voltage the CPU cores are actually getting.

Solution