Question Ryzen 2700x: Proper Settings in BIOS for Max Performance?

cascoh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013
Ryzen 2700x @ 4Ghz
ASUS RTX 2070 Super
16GB Corsair Pro @ 3200Mhz in XMP
ASUS X-470F Mobo
Win10 64-Bit
--
I recently just finished overclocking my GPU for the first time and it went quite successful with no issues at all. Im looking to give my CPU a try im no expert but id like to give it a shot but it seems a bit overwhelming. What are some main tips or concerns to look for when doing this? Im trying to achieve 4.2Ghz (& Yes I have great cooling). Can anybody help out? I have ASUS Performance mode enabled in BIOS and Performance enhancer at Level 2 but my CPU wont go past 4Ghz. Thank you guys for the patience and hopefully you wonderful people can help! :)

Ryzen 2700x @ 4Ghz
ASUS RTX 2070 Super
16GB Corsair Pro @ 3200Mhz in XMP
ASUS X-470F Mobo
Win10 64-Bit
--
I recently just finished overclocking my GPU for the first time and it went quite successful with no issues at all. Im looking to give my CPU a try im no expert but id like to give it a shot but it seems a bit overwhelming. What are some main tips or concerns to look for when doing this? Im trying to achieve 4.2Ghz (& Yes I have great cooling). Can anybody help out? I have ASUS Performance mode enabled in BIOS and Performance enhancer at Level 2 but my CPU wont go past 4Ghz. Thank you guys for the patience and hopefully you wonderful people can help! :)

With an 'X' CPU you really should'nt need to all-core overclock.

Leaving CPU Multiplier set to AUTO, I'd enable PBO to advanced mode and slide the following parameters to 'max'... PPT, EDC, TDC. They may be crazy numbers don't worry just max them out. Also set PBO Scalar to 5x. You can later play with the scalar value to see how it affects boosting.

In CPU Features section enable AMD Cool-n-Quiet and Global C States.

Then go to VCore voltage and set it to offset and start decreasing it with negative offsets until stability is compromised then increase it back up just enough to get stable again.

Your CPU should readily boost as needed and yet throttle back to lower frequency and voltage when idle. With decent cooling people report boosting to 4.2 Ghz or more and sustaining it through stress tests and Cinebench runs when set up right. Remember that the processor boosting depends on sufficient thermal headroom so that makes good after-market cooling pretty important to maximize results. That's also why under-volting is a key part of it: lower voltage means the CPU will heats up less and also helps the VRM deliver stable power.

Last edited:
Reactions: punkncat