Ryzen 3 1200 OC on MSI B350M PRO-VDH issues

SCPGames

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
some days ago I built a pc with my friends right, it all went smoothly, pc works just fine and it runs pretty much everything I have easily

after installing windows 10 pro, I decided that I should first download drivers for my gtx 1050 ti with GeForce experience. I did that, went perfectly, then I decided to update my mobo's bios, I went for the latest release obviously and that also went just fine
then I decided that I should overclock my cpu for even better results from 3.1ghz to 3.7ghz which normally should be accessible by everyone without changing voltage or anything else
I went to bios, advanced settings, oc mode, tried changing the cpu ratio to 37.00 but whenever I press enter or backspace my pc restarts and goes back to the bios automatically, with my overclock settings gone too.
I messed around trying to change other values too like the voltage and what not but the same thing happens
I watched a video of some guy overclocking the exact same cpu on the exact same motherboard and he managed to make it look like it was nothing, he changed the cpu ratio to 37.00 with no crashes after whatsoever and the settings actually saved.

Why am I having this problem, then? (although one thing I did notice is that his cpu voltage was a bit different than mine for some reason even though I didn't change anything at all, nor can I because it restarts)

SCPGames

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
first of all, sorry for the late answer as I was quite busy at the time

to answer all your questions, I have exactly everything that this guy has except that instead of a 430w evga PSU I own a 500w evga, and I guess I also do have a different case but I don't think it matters in any way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZXmy0bZ-_s

i'm running a stock cooler too, the one that came with the cpu but this guy made it work so why wouldn't I

and the cpu idles at around 37 degrees which is very decent in my opinion

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Even if you have "identical" components in your system, as another's, you are not guaranteed to achieve the same results. As suggested earlier, try lesser OC levels, moving upward until no longer stable and then dropping back to a stable setting.

Also, if you are also trying to OC your memory, you are complicating matters. Tweak one thing (CPU or memory) at a time.

SCPGames

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
I've tried 3.2ghz, 3.3, 3.4, everything up until 3.7 and it still restarts and takes me back to the bios after i press enter
i even tried setting it to 3.1 which is already the default value but for some reason it still restarts even though logically it shouldn't
i also cant change the voltage because the same happens, even if i set it to the default value it restarts as well

something just doesn't want me to mess around in the bios

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Ryzens can be VERY picky with memory. Try lowering your memory to 2133 to see if the system becomes more stable.

Is the system perfectly stable at stock speeds? That isn't clear from earlier comments.

Also, don't believe every claim on Youtube. Regarding OCing with the stock heatsink, I would not recommend doing that. That device is really not meant for OCing (especially aggressive OCing).

SCPGames

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
yeah my pc is running perfectly fine 10 times better than before and I've faced absolutely no error so far
although I will try lowering the memory speed anyways, IF I even can that is, because of that bios restarting problem and all

and the video creator wasn't the only guy who we did it, I checked other sources first of course and everyone said reaching 3.7ghz on a ryzen 3 was extremely easy, so easy that there's no reason why one shouldn't do it

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Just because another did something, does not mean you can. OCing is like that. Each system has multiple variables that are unique to your system and its components. Some refer to this as the silicon lottery. Sometimes you win, most of the time you don't.

By the way, are you running the most recent/current motherboard BIOS version?