Reputable
Jun 2, 2016
My Rig Currently is:

MB: GigaByte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2

Graphics: GTX 780TI

Ram: Hyperx 8GB DDR3

Cpu: FX-8350

PSU: Evga 500W80plus

So my cpu fan broke and I´m using a stock cpu fan, I decided to upgrade my mobo and cpu to a ryzen 3200g and Gigabyte B450M DS3H.

My Question is: Is it worth the upgrade? The ryzen is better and all but is not a huge upgrade, it´s like a best bang for your buck type of upgrade. 2: If I decided to upgrade, Can I still use my same components? Or should I just buy a new am3+ fan and stick with what I have?

I would like to hear your opinions.

Solution
I would say somewhere around 250-280$ I´m fine with my 1TB HDD
So Things That I´ll need is
The new cpu, the mobo, the ram and cpu cooler, what do you recommend?
Wow right now everything is out of stock and those things that are in stock are from resellers on Newegg marketplace and there is price gouging. I see on Gigabytes website that their B450 motherboards say Ryzen 3000 ready. I don't know if that means out of the box it will work with the 3000 series or if it needs a BIOS update to work. I would contact Gigabyte and ask them before buying. Otherwise with your budget this is what I would recommend assuming you don't have to have an updated BIOS for it to work.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8...
That would be a HUGE increase in single threaded performance. Your current CPU has ST performance around that of the Athlon X4 970 and the 3200G is basically a 2300X with an iGPU. https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2353?vs=2266 Sadly I cannot do a direct comparison from there. Multi-threaded performance between the 4c/4t Ryzen and the 4c/8m FX will probably be similar with the Ryzen coming out ahead. However, since you already have a 780Ti I would look at one of the 6c/12t Ryzen 5's (2600 or 3600) or the 4c/8t Ryzen 3300X. Another thing is that if you go with any of the 3000 series Ryzens you will need to make sure that if you go with a B450 Motherboard that it has 3000 series support out of the box.

RedRums

Reputable
Jun 2, 2016
That would be a HUGE increase in single threaded performance. Your current CPU has ST performance around that of the Athlon X4 970 and the 3200G is basically a 2300X with an iGPU. https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2353?vs=2266 Sadly I cannot do a direct comparison from there. Multi-threaded performance between the 4c/4t Ryzen and the 4c/8m FX will probably be similar with the Ryzen coming out ahead. However, since you already have a 780Ti I would look at one of the 6c/12t Ryzen 5's (2600 or 3600) or the 4c/8t Ryzen 3300X. Another thing is that if you go with any of the 3000 series Ryzens you will need to make sure that if you go with a B450 Motherboard that it has 3000 series support out of the box.
Thanks! Yeah not sure what mobo to go yet to be honest, but if you say that it´s a huge upgrade single threaded performance it´s good since when I game most of the time it does not use all of the 8 cores the fx8350 has. what mb do you recommend?

I would say somewhere around 250-280$ I´m fine with my 1TB HDD
So Things That I´ll need is
The new cpu, the mobo, the ram and cpu cooler, what do you recommend?
Wow right now everything is out of stock and those things that are in stock are from resellers on Newegg marketplace and there is price gouging. I see on Gigabytes website that their B450 motherboards say Ryzen 3000 ready. I don't know if that means out of the box it will work with the 3000 series or if it needs a BIOS update to work. I would contact Gigabyte and ask them before buying. Otherwise with your budget this is what I would recommend assuming you don't have to have an updated BIOS for it to work.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($119.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ B&H)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $273.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-26 10:46 EDT-0400

Solution

RedRums

Reputable
Jun 2, 2016
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($119.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ B&H)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $273.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-26 10:46 EDT-0400
Thanks bro, I appreciate this, I´ll save up some money and get this stuff

Reactions: jeremyj_83
The Ryzen stock coolers are not that bad either, so you can use the stock cooler while you save for a better cooler. I would not stress about fitting a cooler into your budget at the moment.

Another thing to consider, the AMD B550 chipset should be releasing sometime soon, so that might be worth waiting for. I think the release was June 16th? This will give you most the functions of an X570 motherboard for a lower cost, with guaranteed third gen support out of the box, without checking for BIOS support. The B450 are still plenty good though if you can find on in stock, lol. I would also upgrade, for sure. I upgraded to a Ryzen 5 2600X from a AMD FX series, and it was a pretty decent improvement overall.

The Ryzen stock coolers are not that bad either, so you can use the stock cooler while you save for a better cooler. I would not stress about fitting a cooler into your budget at the moment.

Another thing to consider, the AMD B550 chipset should be releasing sometime soon, so that might be worth waiting for. I think the release was June 16th? This will give you most the functions of an X570 motherboard for a lower cost, with guaranteed third gen support out of the box, without checking for BIOS support. The B450 are still plenty good though if you can find on in stock, lol. I would also upgrade, for sure. I upgraded to a Ryzen 5 2600X from a AMD FX series, and it was a pretty decent improvement overall.
Totally agree with the getting a B550. If you can wait for a few weeks this would be the best idea.