Question Ryzen 3600 Idle Temp and Core speed Jumping up and down

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2019
Hi,
I recently build my new PC with Ryzen 3600 and Gigabyte X570 Gaming motherboard.

The issue is at idle it has a temp of around 50C and the clock speeds are constantly jumping up and down, even though there is no load on the CPU. I installed the latest drivers and still the same issues. I have no monitoring software running besides CPU-Z. CPU fan also constantly speeds up and slows down at idle.

Also my ram speed reads at 2400mhz, even though it should be 3200mhz. I don't know if that is related. Thanks

My bios says F2 version, I see there are F3 bios drivers in the Gigabyte official site. Should I go for it. I know that flashing the Bios can be problematic sometimes
Well everyone says even the manufacturers if your pc is stable then dont update the bios. Your's and mine is not when we get these temps so give it a try. I have a gigabyte mobo too and the good is that all the gigabyte motherboards have a dual bios and you can always go back.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
My bios says F2 version, I see there are F3 bios drivers in the Gigabyte official site. Should I go for it. I know that flashing the Bios can be problematic sometimes
I would definitely try the newer F4g BIOS they recently released.
X570 GAMING X (rev. 1.0)
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X570-GAMING-X-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
Just be sure to read the instructions provided by Gigabyte to flash that BIOS either from DOS or with Q-Flash from within the BIOS.

Reactions: allinhandss
Jul 20, 2019
I just built a new system a few days ago with a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite and Ryzen 3600. It appears that the processor never goes below the base clock, not even when idle. I have a Noctua NH-U14S cooler and the temp while just doing what I am doing right now, browsing, is in the low/mid 40C, and the fan is operating at 15-20%. At full load I get mid/high 60C temps, and at this temp the fan is spinning at about 35-40%. I have the latest BIOS (f4g) and everything is stock except I have loaded the XMP memory profile (G.Skill Flare X 2x8GB 3200MHz 14-14-14-34).

There is an interesting post here about monitoring software preventing the processor from clocking down: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

Jul 19, 2019
Well, my voltages are going below 1.00V and under 3000mhz when not doing much (CPU-Z), so I guess on that side it is working properly. It just my temp are quite high (60c+ when browsing). I ordered Cooler Master 212 cooler and I will install next week.

Also noticed that my max clock speed is around 4116mhz (4.2ghz) and max ram speed 1596mhz (1600mhz). I guess I have to wait for new bios to fix that.

Jul 20, 2019
Well, my voltages are going below 1.00V and under 3000mhz when not doing much (CPU-Z), so I guess on that side it is working properly. It just my temp are quite high (60c+ when browsing). I ordered Cooler Master 212 cooler and I will install next week.

Also noticed that my max clock speed is around 4116mhz (4.2ghz) and max ram speed 1596mhz (1600mhz). I guess I have to wait for new bios to fix that.

I downloaded the 1.07.07 chipset drivers directly from AMD and selected the recommended power saving profile. I do see lower voltages now in CPU-Z and the processor is clocking down below base speeds. There is also a few degrees drop in idle temperatures. Seems to have have a slight negative effect on performance though (-3% in Time Spy CPU score). Not a big deal, and I'm sure there will be plenty of improved drivers yet considering it's a brand new chipset and CPU.

Jan 28, 2019
I havent tried Cinebench, but have tried Prime95 and it hit about 78C on Small FFT, which I believe is a harder hit and is a stress test so has no specific duraction - just goes until you stop it and I let it run until the temps stopped going up for a while.

Jul 19, 2019
Ok, thanks for the info. I need a better cooler in that case.

Also what software do you use for CPU fan curve. I use the one from the motherboard (Gigabyte Smart Fan). However, it seems a little buggy, because every time my CPU boosts the fan goes to max, no matter what profile I do.

So pretty much my CPU fan is running at 1950 rpm constantly and it is very annoying.

Jul 19, 2019
WMunG7H.jpg
[/IMG]

My fan speed is tied to CPU % (workload). Because this cpu boost frequencies all the time, the fan speed goes to the max always. Or at least that is what I think the problem is.

I guess I need a software where the cpu fan is tied to temp, rather than workload ??

Jul 20, 2019
Ok, thanks for the info. I need a better cooler in that case.

Also what software do you use for CPU fan curve. I use the one from the motherboard (Gigabyte Smart Fan). However, it seems a little buggy, because every time my CPU boosts the fan goes to max, no matter what profile I do.

So pretty much my CPU fan is running at 1950 rpm constantly and it is very annoying.

I also use Smart Fan, but the default curve does not work very good. I had the same problem. The boost causes short temperature spikes that sets of the fan. You have tweak the curve and I also recommend that you adjust the temperature interval for the CPU to it's max setting: +/- 5 degrees Celsius. The shape of the curve will depend on the cooling abilities and noise levels (if you care about noise) of the heatsink/fan. See attached for an example on how my CPU fan curve looks like. Works beautifully in my system.

tD70ceG68Gb8xHQ9Zhp_xMCxzBo7OsiAL-Kg84OoDSddI6zkoMxgdX2RnSjY8WaFxOEupYrGqbmhK_PwNAuklEYxS8zphF5P-3Z0LKJJB31mzPyKOMoFZYB6cmPQ8F4G4e6PLHX4dcs0Hruuoi0uGgU9-7ZmC6RNnwTtt1-NgRIdlLGDxGDQI2jz_LMoMwB2DOr29_bNT7ny1sNS1EOwUFQGwMy55KeVR8iHaSKRwUzTCLgeKuc8_FlNhgoWnJsYvOtITPlYYzFdwwtNmsG_L_Nk5nUumJYRnmTQksrKgoItrodrpgUt_v-wd2ju0JEIqkqF8kQZoCWP9VAJOV9gpBc5Ez2NMhi6L-5z15urv8BVEJlrCUPwDcUpRTKWqFqgF3_Q23KDA5yFLLlulRz_8KCZwFhCyy5tHVMCgGV05cnqF6B5TYsYXM7ASHLuVbyPB8bD67uvvif5A7rh-baoCFZXrdpwuDbilTJOntIvFNs6LDnb9VJX4nt8oYl3gGD8Nb01MjgJ9hJsWES5XjQJnPVJrURoIatVsHG_ybGDfccFIF8W4XZr7jgb5Z21THoAhVGAN-Z3JOuuxZJILfy7MknaeYyGT-egkX550rRuY95ovicxPzFyCi8gDWgKvL1FebHPUANEcoXQZxvXnConb4RkeTx91aHv=w1334-h464-no

You also need to adjust your other fans in the case in conjunction with the CPU. For example; when your CPU heats up and the fan speed increases you would want intake fans to provide more cool air, and exhaust fans to remove the hot air simultaneously. Otherwise you will just create turbulence and circulate the hot air. Spend some time tweaking.

Jul 19, 2019
I am not sure if I follow. If the fan speed is connected to the CPU load, then no matter what I tweak it always gonna max the fan speed, right ? Since in the app CPU workload never dips below 80% for me.

For intake fans, I have three fans upfront. Not really sure if I can adjust them with this app

Jul 20, 2019
I am not sure if I follow. If the fan speed is connected to the CPU load, then no matter what I tweak it always gonna max the fan speed, right ? Since in the app CPU workload never dips below 80% for me.

For intake fans, I have three fans upfront. Not really sure if I can adjust them with this app

The fan speed is regulated by the CPU temperature. The vertical "Workload %" that you see on the left hand side of the graph is the fan. If you look at my screenshot at the red marker you'll see that it's on 40C, 16%. The 16% is the fan speed - it's at 16% of it's max speed.

You can start by dragging the second dot to the 30C mark and 20% work load, the third dot to 60C and 50% work load, fourth to 70C and 80%, fifth to 80C/90% and the sixth to 85C/100%. You might have to tweak those numbers a bit. Don't forget to adjust the temperature interval to +/- 5 degrees Celsius to stabilize the fan speed. All that being said, you might as well not spend too much time on this since you ordered another cooler and then you'll have to do it all over again.

I don't know what case you have but if your top fans are connected to the motherboard then you can control them with the app.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019
Ok I updated the software and now I can adjust the fan curve better.The software was buggy, now it is better. Did you adjust your case fans with this software, as well?

Yes, I use it for all case fans. I have two exhaust fans, one at the top and one at the rear, controlled by the CPU sensor. Three intake fans, two at the front and one at the bottom (right below the video card). Intake fans are controlled by the PCIe sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.