Question Ryzen 3700X not working - black screen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 3, 2019
Hello.

I just upgraded my X370 board from a Ryzen 1600X to a 3700X. When i boot with the new CPU, everything turns on (even mouse and keyboard has lights as normal), but my monitor doesn't get a connection. The monitor starts up, but shuts off after a while again.

I have updated to the latest BIOS of course. And i can boot normally if i put back in the old 1600X CPU again.

According to the manufacturer, the motherboard does indeed support the new CPU as long as you run a newer version of their BIOS. The board is an ASUS X370-F.

Have i missed something?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019
How do you mean that?

Why do you ask about the flashback thing?

I mean i can downgrade the BIOS version to the 4801 (first BIOS version that supported 3rd gen), by using my original CPU (the 1600X) which makes everything work perfectly fine and gives me access to the BIOS.

Jul 17, 2019
Why do you ask about the flashback thing?

I mean i can downgrade the BIOS version to the 4801 (first BIOS version that supported 3rd gen), by using my original CPU (the 1600X) which makes everything work perfectly fine and gives me access to the BIOS.
Do that and w8 for new bios versions. also prepare for loud cpu fanst since the first update normally had problems with recognizing cpu temps

Sep 3, 2019
Do that and w8 for new bios versions. also prepare for loud cpu fanst since the first update normally had problems with recognizing cpu temps

What do you mean by waiting for newer BIOS versions?
If this doesn't work, couldn't it just be that the chip is broken from manufacturing?

Jul 17, 2019
What do you mean by waiting for newer BIOS versions?
If this doesn't work, couldn't it just be that the chip is broken from manufacturing?
I thought you meant that the 3700x works with the first bios update. But for now i will say you should contact some support or send the chip back or downgrade to old bios and upgrade again

Sep 3, 2019
I thought you meant that the 3700x works with the first bios update. But for now i will say you should contact some support or send the chip back or downgrade to old bios and upgrade again

The 3700X has never worked. Everything seems to be working just fine when i boot though, but the monitor gets no connection.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
I am pretty sure the chipset drivers would not prevent the 3700x from accessing the BIOS. Seems the OP hasn't gotten that far with it.
Other Motherboard makers usually tell people to upgrade to a bios before updating to a newer bios to have it worked with no instability issues. Might mess up something in the process of bios update.

Sep 3, 2019
Other Motherboard makers usually tell people to upgrade to a bios before updating to a newer bios to have it worked with no instability issues. Might mess up something in the process of bios update.

I did update the drivers, but it was afterwards though. I haven't gotten recommended updating the drivers beforehand from ASUS anywhere. If it was such a crucial step, i'm sure they would have told me somewhere.

I am pretty sure the chipset drivers would not prevent the 3700x from accessing the BIOS. Seems the OP hasn't gotten that far with it.

Unfortunately it still doesn't work.

Sep 3, 2019
Did you perform a clean windows install after the upgrade?

Cheers!

No. I can't see how that would fix anything? I can't even boot into the BIOS (what i'm aware of at least). It's not possible to know if it's only the monitor that won't turn on and everything is booting just fine, or if nothing works. Evertyhing works just fine with the old CPU still.

Please explain why you think a clean install of windows would change anything.

Have you tried a different USB drive for the BIOS update?

No. But i have no problems with the BIOS update. It's up to date and works without any problems with the old CPU. If the install was corrupt i wouldn't be able to boot with the old CPU.

No. I can't see how that would fix anything? I can't even boot into the BIOS (what i'm aware of at least). It's not possible to know if it's only the monitor that won't turn on and everything is booting just fine, or if nothing works. Evertyhing works just fine with the old CPU still.

Please explain why you think a clean install of windows would change anything.
Windows 10 has UEFI security elements that won't allow you to boot if they find differences in the system config. I'm not 100% sure if this would be the case, but since you've already tried a good chunk of things "long shots" are acceptable, I guess.

Cheers!

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
And on version 4406 as well:
Version 4406
2019/03/11 9.94 MBytes
ROG STRIX X370-F GAMING BIOS 4406
Update AGESA 0070 for the upcoming processors and improve some CPU compatibility.
ASUS strongly recommends that you update AMD chipset driver 18.50.16 or later before updating BIOS.

Honestly unless you are using a CPU with iGPU then I can't see how the Chipset Drivers would keep it from completing POST though.