[SOLVED] Ryzen 3900X temperature too high

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 29, 2020
My build consists of a Ryzen 3900X, on a Biostar Racing X570GT8 board. The cooler is a Noctua U12S. The case has 2 120mm intake fans, one 120mm exhaust fan and two more intake 120mm ones at the bottom. Under heavy CPU load the package temperature reported in HWMonitor and Ryzen Master quickly jumps to 95C. The cooler fan ramps up to max speed. However the TMPIN0 remains at 75C which is the temp I've set in the BIOS for 100% PWM. I've noticed that the two readings go up or down togehter and the difference between them is always 19-20C. The CPU does not throttle even at 95C. It stays at 3900MHz, occasionally going to 4000MHz. Even at idle the package temp is around 60C. I remounted the cooler applying thermal paste again but that did not change anything. Since the CPU clocks a bit over its nominal frequency even at 95C, I've been wondering if the package temp reading could be off. From what I've read, Noctua U12S should be sufficent to cool the CPU without overclocking. On the other hand if it is really 95C, I'm slowly damaging the CPU.

I'd appreciate your suggestions and thoughts. Do I believe the package temp reading given all the other info?
Here is a screen capture of the HWMonitor and Core Temp readings. https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao_bSLUvi9Zk-VqPQQqmLBHcXMdm

Solution
.... which reading should I trust - package or TMPIN0?
Neither...or maybe either. It's hard to know for sure with HWMonitor so get rid of it. Instead get HWInfo64.

With HWInfo look at "CPU (Tdie/Tctl)" and "CPU Die (average)". They'll not agree unless under load.

Tdie/Tctl is the instantaneous reading of the hottest of any one of several (dozens?) of on-die sensors scattered around the CPU cores (for a 3900X you should also have a Tdie for each of the two CCD's). It will fluctuate a lot at idle as one core gets a bursting processing load and heats up, then quickly cools back down when it's completed.

As the name suggests, the "CPU Die (average)" reading is a moving average of the last several readings and more closely...
Well, that is a great idea. I'll dig in the biostar bios to see if there is an equivalent setting. Thanks for spending time to help me. BTW the BIOS HW Monitor reports the lower of the two readings.
One thing you might have missed since I'm always editing posts...

I've never been certain if it's been removed or not but Ryzen used to have a 10 or 20 degree offset from Tdie, to be reported as Tctl temperature. They'd do that for high-powered CPU's, like the 1800X, to assist fans by anticipating for cooling somehow. I thought that had been stopped with later BIOS' though. It's not that way with my 3700X.

Mar 29, 2020
One thing you might have missed since I'm always editing posts...

I've never been certain if it's been removed or not but Ryzen used to have a 10 or 20 degree offset from Tdie, to be reported as Tctl temperature. They'd do that for high-powered CPU's, like the 1800X, to assist fans by anticipating for cooling somehow. I thought that had been stopped with later BIOS' though. It's not that way with my 3700X.
From what I've read, it should have been removed. Maybe it is some board bug or peculiarity. The cooler does not seem hot to the touch. No throttle. The board reports the lower temp. If I manage to borrow some heavy weight cooler, I'll try if it is able to bring these 95c down. Your Ryzen3700x is quite cooler than the 3900x. 65W versus 105W. Maybe that is the difference about the offset.

By Folding, I would assume you mean Folding@Home?

If so I can’t run it on my stock clocked PBO enabled 3800x with a Corsair H60 set up as intake on the front of the case.

I have not seen anything run this cpu as hard as F@H. My cooling is good for all things keeping it at72C or below. However, Folding drives it into the high 80’s. I don’t fold on the cpu, only the 2070S.

I have a core i7 960 on an average cooler but never goes above 70C. Same case used on both pc’s. I don’t fold on that cpu due to the age of it.

Mar 29, 2020
I did another experiment. The cooler was set to ramp up to 100% when the temp reaches 75C as the board sees it. At that point HWInfo reported 95C and the CPU worked at 3.9 - 4.0GHz. I set the cooler to not go to full speed at all - max 50%. To my surprise the CPU clocked 3.8GHz, the board still reported 75C and HWInfo 95C. No throttling. The CPU really throttles only if I switch off the cooler fans completely. As I understand it, this means the 95C reading is completely off.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020
According to Ryzen Master the core voltage hovers around 1.29-35V at full CPU load. My main concern is the huge difference between the reported package temperature and the TMPIN0. The CPU doesn't behave like it's on the verge of throtling. Even at package temp of 95C the CPU is above its nominal frequency by 100 to 200MHz on all cores. I tend to believe that the package temp readings are off by around 20C but on the other hand, if I am wrong I'm damaging the CPU.

Urm..I think is 3.5V. Oherwise, <Mod Edit> on fire yo!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 29, 2020
Well, I swaped the Noctua U12S for a Noctua D15, a dual-tower, two-fan cooler. However I still see package temp of 93 to 95C and the CPU clocking 200MHz over its nominal frequency. If D15 isn't enough, I don't think even AIO water cooling would do. I think that the package temp reading is off by about 20 degrees.

Well, I swaped the Noctua U12S for a Noctua D15, a dual-tower, two-fan cooler. However I still see package temp of 93 to 95C and the CPU clocking 200MHz over its nominal frequency. If D15 isn't enough, I don't think even AIO water cooling would do. I think that the package temp reading is off by about 20 degrees.
Did you happen to enable some auto-overclocking feature? I know some boards have, and it seems to work, but mine does not. If it has it at all. What I do have just seems to raise my processor temperature without apparently raising clock speeds any.

Mar 29, 2020
Did you happen to enable some auto-overclocking feature? I know some boards have, and it seems to work, but mine does not. If it has it at all. What I do have just seems to raise my processor temperature without apparently raising clock speeds any.
If it is enabled, it is enabled by default. I haven't changed anything in this section of the BIOS. PBO is not enabled as far as I can see.