Ryzen 5 1400 build isn't stable

project_offset1

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
Not overclocked I tried bugging this thing for 6 hours, it boots into windows no issue, all the drivers are installed except GPU driver and chipset driver as I cannot install them in time, older version of Windows (I believe the iso is from late 2016) but is still windows 10. newest bios, however it crashes every 10 minutes or so via everything freezing up, no overheating the board is a Asus b350 plus I believe and the ram is 2x8GB Corsair lpx ddr4 2133mhz

I have tried over 4 hours today I will install windows again with a fresh iso from the Media took maker ( I used a friend's old DVD for installation last time) what can I do to fix the $1000+ I invested into a heavy paper weight

I know I did everything right assembly wise I have built 4 PC's before

Ryzen was initially very sensitive towards the sort of RAM being used. I don't know how much has changed but I would still rather play it safe and get RAM which is on the motherboard's QVL for peace of mind.

Have you tried to boot into Windows Safe Mode to try and install drivers that way? (Only thing which comes to mind for me.)

Install a new version of windows 10 and make a bootable usb stick. You can do this here and use the download tool:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I've had a lot of issues with using a older iso and creating a bootable usb with it. Windows 10 doesn't like this and just breaks even tho it's fine when doing this with win7/8.

ben5768

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015

that ram speed should work fine however a performance increase is a benefit of higher frequency ram
maybe he should check in the bios it's running at the intended speed?

project_offset1

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
Thanks guys for all the answers, I am an ex-developer for an indie game so I was given a microsoft bizspark account (gives free MS software including windows to test your stuff on) I downloaded the ISO from there, seems to be a very early windows 10 release, I have now installed the newest version of windows with creators update straight out of install (Build 1704 or somehting) works good, If you guys haven't installed win10 recently the install screens are different kinda neat. Anyways seems to be working fine now, I feel like an idiot for not installing the newest windows version in the first place!

ben5768

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015

At least it's not a "heavy paper weight" now