[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 1600 or i3 10100f ?

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Hey , you know i need to get a new CPU and earlier if you may have read my thread which is regardless at this point because i have two new options for a cpu with my budget increased now

Currently i sport a 2nd gen i5 with a GTX 1650 Super which as you can imagine as a cpu needs to rest

So i am getting literally and i mean literally at a shop Ryzen 5 1600 and i3 10100f for the same price and i wonder which one is overpriced or underpriced lol

But seeing different benchmarks and different videos they do perform differently in gaming but as an expert what would you recommend ?
Its not about future upgrade as slowly pandemic gets over so does slowly my finances do get better so if needed i could buy a whole new PC Build later on but the question remains now as which would be better for heavy gaming in regards to the CPU as i do know the capabilities of my GTX 1650 Super

The whole question for me boils down to Core/Threads and different Clocks of both of them but i honestly need an expert advise in overall performance
Thanks

Ah i almost forgot ,there is a third option for ryzen 5 3500 but it lacks hyper threading and is slightly more but tiny bit which would not matter
And Ryzen do overclock whereas the i3 is locked

Last edited:
Solution
If your use is for gaming, realize that most games depend on the graphics card more than the cpu.
The GTX1650 is quite a good card.
Most games can only effectively use 4-6 threads.
Today, all modern processors allow threading which makes use of unused cycles.
It is better to think of the number of logical threads than cores.
To your question, here is a review if the i3-10100 for gaming.
The i3-10100f is the same processor without integrated graphics.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html
as a processor, it is definitely stronger than the 1600.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, that is a good question. I think we can leave out the 1600, it wasn't that fast when it came out, comparable to Intel 4th gen CPUs.

Ryzen allows memory and CPU overclocking with a cheap B class board. (Avoid the A series boards) Memory only matters if you are spending for more than 2666Mhz memory.

Intel has 8 threads, but only 4 cores
3500 has 6 cores.

In terms of instructions per clock, Intel still has the edge, but only just over the 3500. AMD does have the better upgrade path really, even if you are just swapping the CPU/GPU at a later time. But there are some games are liking more than a quad core.

I would go for the 3500 and get as fast a memory as you can afford, that alone should make up the performance gap between them at stock settings.

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
What is the budget for your upgrade? CPU, motherboard, and ram?
hey thanks ,the prices that i have are as follows converted to USD
i3 10100f - 143 USD
Ryzen 5 1600 - 141 USD
Ryzen 5 3500 - 171 USD
Motherboard for either is for 76 USD
RAM - 50 USD

And my budget is 260 USD though going in for the ryzen 5 3500 would stretch to 297 USD only if its worth it and i'll try to squeeze in some extra if possible

What would you recommend ?

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Hmm, that is a good question. I think we can leave out the 1600, it wasn't that fast when it came out, comparable to Intel 4th gen CPUs.

Ryzen allows memory and CPU overclocking with a cheap B class board. (Avoid the A series boards) Memory only matters if you are spending for more than 2666Mhz memory.

Intel has 8 threads, but only 4 cores
3500 has 6 cores.

In terms of instructions per clock, Intel still has the edge, but only just over the 3500. AMD does have the better upgrade path really, even if you are just swapping the CPU/GPU at a later time. But there are some games are liking more than a quad core.

I would go for the 3500 and get as fast a memory as you can afford, that alone should make up the performance gap between them at stock settings.
Hey ,thank you and that is very informative and and if needed both the RAM and CPU can be upped overlocked perhaps with decent cooling and yes i did look at a B class board specially MSI B450M PRO-M2 as i read A320 ones are bad ,

Would MSI B450M PRO-M2 suffice if i need to overclock which i suppose would be a last resort but if needed would RAM and CPU OC be alright in it ?

Or would you recommend another Motherboard ?

Last edited:

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Would avoid any CPU overclocking on that board given the lack of any vrm heatsink
i am gonna heed that warning ,thanks

So whats basically the cheapest board that would be safe for oc's

I dont want the vrm on it goin poof haha

(side story ,i had a old board in the core2quad days which was basically junk and kept it outside ,it soaked in the rain for 2 days and then a few days it dried up and suddenly my current mobo was acting up ,so i used the dried up one to get by the night ,luckily i had a cheap junk psu which i connected to it and poof went the magic dragon and the sparks were glorious)

If your use is for gaming, realize that most games depend on the graphics card more than the cpu.

Solution

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Hey hey GTX 1650 Super ,not just GTX 1650 haha :D Super is better ,it hurts pal since its my first gaming GPU and a direct upgrade from a GT 1030 ,dont hurt my feelings like that xD

Alright no more bad jokes ,on a side note would 10100f be better than a OC'd R5 3500 or the difference would be marginal to even bother ,then again less threads though ?

Edit - Yes Of course i do understand but since i have a 2nd gen i5 ,i actually out of need for better performance need a better CPU and so would love bang for the buck i have ,thats all and pardon for so many questions please