Question Ryzen 5 1600x Bottlenecking?

Nov 15, 2020
Hello! first time post but I've lurked for a little while on the forums. If I'm in the wrong place please let me know lol.

So I've been having issues with frames on destiny and apex for a while now (sub 60 on lowest settings). I had figured my setup was just aging until I looked at my performance numbers and noticed my Ryzen 5 1600x is only running at around 2GHz and I can't figure out why. Temps seem fine, they're either in the low 30's sometimes even high 20's. The highest temp I read on any piece of hardware is 54 degrees which is my GPU. My GPU is also running around 100% capacity on the lowest settings on these games as well and all of its drivers are up to date.

I believe I have my GPU clocked at 3.9GHz and my ram at ~2900 Through my BIOS if that could help in anyway however I am a huge noob when it comes to hardware so maybe I did something wrong.
- I only recently went into my bios after the issue arose.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Specs:
ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F
Ryzen 5 1600x
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

serioussamik17

Distinguished
Did you modify the CPU/Frequency/Multiplier in BIOS settings? Maybe that but no worries though. Just load the default values or optimized defaults in BIOS and the CPU speed will get back to normal.

If this does not fix it, try updating the motherboard BIOS with help and supervision from one who has prior experience of updating BIOS (just for being on the safer side and you will learn the dos and donts for a BIOS update).

Reactions: Mkrebs119
Nov 15, 2020
Did you modify the CPU/Frequency/Multiplier in BIOS settings? Maybe that but no worries though. Just load the default values or optimized defaults in BIOS and the CPU speed will get back to normal.

If this does not fix it, try updating the motherboard BIOS with help and supervision from one who has prior experience of updating BIOS (just for being on the safer side and you will learn the dos and donts for a BIOS update).

Thank you! I Tried modifying everything you said and nothing worked. I also downloaded Ryzen Master and upon restart nothing changed so I think you are probably correct with the BIOS update. When my Friend who helped build my pc gets back from vacation ill inform him on everything and have him teach me how to update and get back to you on whether it was resolved.

serioussamik17

Distinguished
Thank you! I Tried modifying everything you said and nothing worked. I also downloaded Ryzen Master and upon restart nothing changed so I think you are probably correct with the BIOS update. When my Friend who helped build my pc gets back from vacation ill inform him on everything and have him teach me how to update and get back to you on whether it was resolved.
Found out few others had problems with locked speeds and many got a solution with a BIOS update. So probably a good idea to get your BIOS updated with your friend's help once he returns.
One thing (completely safe) you can try is take out a the CMOS battery (a small Li-On cell that is easy to locate on your motherboard) and put it back after 10-15 minutes, post shutdown and and after unplugging the power cable from the PSU (the power supply at the bottom of your cabinet). This can help you revert back to original BIOS values.

Jan 27, 2021
go into bios and reset it and dont touch a thing i have a 1600x i use mainly ryzen master now boot into windows and open ryzen master untick the 3 below the voltage control set the cpu to 3.8ghz and the voltage to 1.275 and your golden 3.8 is a good balance between heat and performance
329246566a479200829b6b4a1c7050d650a83f157a439facf534efbb927584ed0d203599.jpg