[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 2600 throttling speed from 3.7ghz to 3.5 ghz 85c on stress test?

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
My r5 2600 goes down from 3.7 to 3.5ghz at 84-86c as I checked at my task manager. My room temp without AC is 32c when using it, it goes around 27c. I'm using the Tecware Nexus M case, I opened up the front panel of it exposing the mesh filter to have more airflow because it was suffering from a bad one when the front panel is attached. My temps during gaming is 60-75 and it goes even to 80 when playing heavy games like metro exodus.

I'm using an MSI A320 PRO-VH plus motherboard with the stock cooler of the cpu.

Is this normal??

Solution
Hi, your computer is not throttling. the base speed is 3.4GHz, so at 3.5GHz it is still running at boost speed.
3.5GHz - 3.9GHz is boost speeds which depends on work load and how much cores are working. if you are at 100% CPU usage and it drops way below 3.4GHz then you should be concerned.
My r5 2600 goes down from 3.7 to 3.5ghz at 84-86c as I checked at my task manager. My room temp without AC is 32c when using it, it goes around 27c. I'm using the Tecware Nexus M case, I opened up the front panel of it exposing the mesh filter to have more airflow because it was suffering from a bad one when the front panel is attached. My temps during gaming is 60-75 and it goes even to 80 when playing heavy games like metro exodus.

I'm using an MSI A320 PRO-VH plus motherboard with the stock cooler of the cpu.

Is this normal??
With a stock cooler it sounds pretty normal for heavy gaming. Your temps are fine but if you want better then you need better cooling.

Apr 8, 2020
Hi, your computer is not throttling. the base speed is 3.4GHz, so at 3.5GHz it is still running at boost speed.
3.5GHz - 3.9GHz is boost speeds which depends on work load and how much cores are working. if you are at 100% CPU usage and it drops way below 3.4GHz then you should be concerned.

Solution