nishaburiy

Reputable
Mar 24, 2018
Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded from a Ryzen 3 1200 to a Ryzen 5 3600. In order to keep the old B350 motherboard I have I updated it with the Beta Bios MSI provides for 3rd gen Ryzen Cpus.
Although the pc is working fine and all benchmark results are on par with the ones on the web, the Cpu is running at unreasonably high temperatures.
I'm running a Scythe Fuma 2 cooler which is one of the best air coolers on the market, but I'm reaching 80C in AIDA64 with the odd spike to 90C.

PC specs:
Motherboard: MSI B350 gaming plus
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB
Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2
Bios: 7A34vMHR(Beta version)

Steps I've taken to troubleshoot:
1- I've repasted and reseated to cooler countless times, The thermal paste has had great spread on each attempt.
2- I've run the pc without case panels with not change in temperature.
3- The Cooler has been tested on my Ryzen 3 1200, only reaching 65C on loads while overclocked to 3.9Ghz
4- Just in case, I've sent the cooler to RMA, They've tested it on another Ryzen 3600 and reached only temps of up to 70C.
5- I've tried holding the cooler on simply by force to rule out the possibility that the backplate might be bent - temps stayed exactly the same.

I've become very suspicious of the bios itself, believing that there are settings in MSIs sketchy half baked beta bios which are "Performance tuning" the chip causing it to overheat.
Any guidance upon what bios settings to change would be greatly appreciated.
Also please let me know if you believe anything other than the bios is at fault.

Thanks!

Solution
Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded from a Ryzen 3 1200 to a Ryzen 5 3600. In order to keep the old B350 motherboard I have I updated it with the Beta Bios MSI provides for 3rd gen Ryzen Cpus.
Although the pc is working fine and all benchmark results are on par with the ones on the web, the Cpu is running at unreasonably high temperatures.
I'm running a Scythe Fuma 2 cooler which is one of the best air coolers on the market, but I'm reaching 80C in AIDA64 with the odd spike to 90C.

PC specs:

1- I've repasted and reseated to cooler countless times, The thermal paste has had great spread on...
Hi everyone,

PC specs:

1- I've repasted and reseated to cooler countless times, The thermal paste has had great spread on each attempt.
2- I've run the pc without case panels with not change in temperature.
3- The Cooler has been tested on my Ryzen 3 1200, only reaching 65C on loads while overclocked to 3.9Ghz
4- Just in case, I've sent the cooler to RMA, They've tested it on another Ryzen 3600 and reached only temps of up to 70C.
5- I've tried holding the cooler on simply by force to rule out the possibility that the backplate might be bent - temps stayed exactly the same.

I've become very suspicious of the bios itself, believing that there are settings in MSIs sketchy half baked beta bios which are "Performance tuning" the chip causing it to overheat.
Any guidance upon what bios settings to change would be greatly appreciated.
Also please let me know if you believe anything other than the bios is at fault.

Thanks!
All things being equal, it's CPU/core voltage that makes it hot. If left on auto, most BIOS versions set it too high in order to compensate for different "silicone lottery" of chips.
In average, voltage shouldn't go much over 1.3v at load. Most popular way to keep it down is to set -0.05 to -0.1v voltage offset in BIOS.

Solution

nishaburiy

Reputable
Mar 24, 2018
All things being equal, it's CPU/core voltage that makes it hot. If left on auto, most BIOS versions set it too high in order to compensate for different "silicone lottery" of chips.
In average, voltage shouldn't go much over 1.3v at load. Most popular way to keep it down is to set -0.05 to -0.1v voltage offset in BIOS.
I kept an eye on the Cpu voltage during a stress test and it seems to not be going above 1.33 Volts which as you stated and the little research I did is completely normal for the Cpu :(

Jul 13, 2021
In June I built a new R5 3600 on an MSI B550 Pro MB and found the CPU ran too hot. It was pushing the thermal limit in a 10 minute stress test. After trying to remount/repaste a couple times, I tossed the Wraith Cooler and installed an Arctic Freezer 34 tower cooler. It was still reaching 80C under Prime95 and Cinebench multithreaded tests.

I've played around with the automatic settings for a few days. In all honesty none of the PBO/AutoOC tuning settings seem to have any effect on thermals or performance. The only setting that does anything is a negative offset to core voltage.

After setting an offset of -0.050V the CPU now idles a degree cooler, is -8C cooler at full load despite sustaining an automatic all core boost 50-75MHz faster (4025 vs 3970MHz because of improved thermals) that what it would do under either the default or PBO enabled settings.

Reactions: nishaburiy
Jul 13, 2021
Wow, thanks for all the help! I put an -0.1v offset and my Cpu got THIRTEEN DEGREES cooler and I'm still getting more or less the same score in Cb R20!

Yeah that's what i found as well, if anything I've seen maybe a 1% increase in CB scores over multiple runs of the benchmark. It's hard to say because the CPU has so much variance in its boosting between runs. Variance between runs is bigger than variance between the two different settings. But certainly its no worse with much better temps.

The AI that controls the boosting is a strange animal.

Reactions: nishaburiy