[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 Not boosting to 4.2

May 20, 2021
Hello,
So i build my pc a year ago and apparently my CPU doesn't boost to 4.2. My cpu only boosts to 4099mhz never hit 4200mhz before.

Temp on max load 80c
Temp idle 35-50c

Specs
Ryzen 5 3600
Msi B450 Gaming Plus
GTX 1660 Ti
Ram x2 8GB 3200MHZ
PSU 650W Gold

So i was wondering what could be the issue? or its normal? I have good cooling.

Last edited:
Solution
Take care with the AIO you choose. A H100i would be min and H115i may achieve close to 5GHz also depending on case thruput and fans.

Anything that demands a high Overclock will run your fans 100%. I installed Mag Lev fans for quieter and more efficient operation.
Play around with your fan curves in Bios as no harm will come determining best config.
are you running the latest available BIOS
and all of the latest chipset & motherboard drivers offered by the MSI product support page?

and what do you consider "good cooling"?
what exact temperatures is your CPU reaching while idling, basic processing, and being heavily stressed?

have you checked the BIOS?
core ratio, AVX, or other settings could be altered.
see what they're at now and check what, if any, difference loading optimized defaults changes.

what are you stressing the CPU with to test it's max frequency?
if no strong single-core use applications are running, than it shouldn't be boosting.

try a custom Power Plan profile with optimized Processor Power Management settings.
I tried many. Doesn't go past 4099mhz.
what settings are you using?
try both processor states set to %100
and the cooling policy to Active.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Boost depends on certain conditions. If demand is required and CPU temperatures favour it, usually 2 cores will boost. It also depends on the quality of your chip (Silicon Lottery). Essentially boost is an auto Overclock. You have the capability to have an all core Overclock in Bios if you wish so set it to 4.GHz and stress test to determine stability.

Better cooling may resolve this if your using stealth cooler.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021
and all of the latest chipset & motherboard drivers offered by the MSI product support page?

what exact temperatures is your CPU reaching while idling, basic processing, and being heavily stressed?

see what they're at now and check what, if any, difference loading optimized defaults changes.

if no strong single-core use applications are running, than it shouldn't be boosting.

Uhmm, My idle temps between 35-40c, it goes up to 70 on max load.

I haven't checked bios because i don't much there but i'll look into some guides.

I'll try updating Chipset Drivers/Bios and get back to you.

May 20, 2021

So I updated Chipset & Motherboard drivers and i tried running a test.
Max is 4099mhz. CPU temp on fullload is 80c
I checked core ratio on bios its set to auto.
https://prnt.sc/137dyhr

I still haven't updated BIOS because i'm scared electricity cuts out mid update.

I still haven't updated BIOS because i'm scared electricity cuts out mid update.

Aida64 is a good stress tester however you should run the test for more than just 2mins. Wait for the CPU temps to plateau. 10mins minimum and if OK then extend for 30Mins.
At current Bios settings things are pretty much where they should be and I doubt you will encounter a more stressful situation with normal activity.

Is your electricity supply that dodgy? Yes there is a risk in updating Bios however there is no need if your system is running fine.

Last edited:

Aida64 is a good stress tester however you should run the test for more than just 2mins. Wait for the CPU temps to plateau. 10mins minimum and if OK then extend for 30Mins.
At current Bios settings things are pretty much where they should be and I doubt you will encounter a more stressful situation with normal activity.

Is your electricity supply that dodgy? Yes there is a risk in updating Bios however there is no need if your system is running fine.

The multiplier in Bios is what changes frequency and needs to be set to manual.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021

Nah the PSU is great, I just live in a place where electricity cuts out alot. My system runs fine but its pissing me off that it doesn't go past 4099mhz.

I wasn't talking about your PSU but the supply to your home.

You not reaching the frequency you want Is because your Bios is set to Auto frequency and you need to adjust Bios multiplier.
Obviously you have little experience with Bios Overclocking so search for a decent Overclocking guide pertaining to your system setup.

May 20, 2021
I wasn't talking about your PSU but the supply to your home.

You not reaching the frequency you want Is because your Bios is set to Auto frequency and you need to adjust Bios multiplier.
Obviously you have little experience with Bios Overclocking so search for a decent Overclocking guide pertaining to your system setup.

Supply at home is fine i guess. I tried running aid64 test for 9 minutes, i got same results.
I'll do some more research about oc'ing.

Take care with the AIO you choose. A H100i would be min and H115i may achieve close to 5GHz also depending on case thruput and fans.

Anything that demands a high Overclock will run your fans 100%. I installed Mag Lev fans for quieter and more efficient operation.
Play around with your fan curves in Bios as no harm will come determining best config.

Solution

HDinis09

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
When I had the stock cooler for Ryzen 5 3600 I had terrible temps and it would be at 3800Mhz Max. After getting an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo it doesn't go over 66C, and it is overclocked to 4.4GHz on all cores now. Hopefully, your AIO will fix it!

May 20, 2021
When I had the stock cooler for Ryzen 5 3600 I had terrible temps and it would be at 3800Mhz Max. After getting an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo it doesn't go over 66C, and it is overclocked to 4.4GHz on all cores now. Hopefully, your AIO will fix it!
I'm not using Stock Cooler. i still get good temps while gaming. Imma get corsair aio and see if theres any difference.