Question Ryzen 5 3600 reaches 91 degrees, 60 degrees idle

Dec 2, 2019
Hi guys,

I've just installed a Ryzen 5 3600 on a MSI 570 A PRO motherboard and I'm experiencing too high temperatures for my liking.
During gaming it reached 91 degress and idle it's around 60 degrees. I have stock cooler installed with no extra termal paste.

I have found on the internet it may be because my stock cooler is not correctly installed as it should have direct contact with the processor. I have checked and it makes good contact. I have also found some settings which might reduce heat (PBO setting) in motherboard, but I'm afraid I will break something.

Oh and ambient temperature of my chamber is around 20 degrees celcius.

Someone got suggestions?
Thanks!

Edit: Before someone asks, the fans are all spinning and I have 3 intake fans and 1 exhaust in the case. And stock cooler had pre-applied termal paste. No overclocking applied ^^

Last edited:
Most any cooler should run at 10-15c. over ambient.
I think you need to remount your cooler.
Do not try to reuse the paste.
Buy a tube of paste, most any will do.
Clean off the old paste from both surfaces with alcohol.
I use a lint free coffee filter to do the job.
A small rice sized drop in the center is all you need. It will spread out without bubbles under heat and pressure.
Using too much is a mistake.
When you screw down the cooler, do it a little bit at a time in a crosswise pattern to get the cooler level.
Likely, this last part is where you went wrong.

Dec 2, 2019
Most any cooler should run at 10-15c. over ambient.
I think you need to remount your cooler.
Do not try to reuse the paste.
Buy a tube of paste, most any will do.
Clean off the old paste from both surfaces with alcohol.
I use a lint free coffee filter to do the job.
A small rice sized drop in the center is all you need. It will spread out without bubbles under heat and pressure.
Using too much is a mistake.
When you screw down the cooler, do it a little bit at a time in a crosswise pattern to get the cooler level.
Likely, this last part is where you went wrong.
Thank you for your reply. Will try this!

I had high idle and gaming temps with my Ryzen 5 3600 + stock cooler, but never as high as yours. Check if the screws are tight enough.
And If I were you, I would go to AMD CBS option in BIOS and disable PBO, for the Ryzen 5 3600 I get better result and performance with only PB enable.

If the issue persist there are lots of great replacements for cheap:

DeepCool Gammaxx 400, Gammaxx GTE (similar but with RGB if thats your thing), Arctic Freezer 34 Esport and Esport Duo (been the last two the better performance ones).

Always check theres enough clearance in your case and motherboard to istall big air tower coolers!

Cheers

Three intake and one exhaust? Depending on the fan size/speed, this could be causing hot air to be trapped inside your case.

One easy way to confirm this is to remove the side panel of the case. If your CPU cools down, you have incorrect air flow. If it stays the same or gets hotter, case air flow is not your problem.

Dec 2, 2019
I had high idle and gaming temps with my Ryzen 5 3600 + stock cooler, but never as high as yours. Check if the screws are tight enough.
And If I were you, I would go to AMD CBS option in BIOS and disable PBO, for the Ryzen 5 3600 I get better result and performance with only PB enable.

If the issue persist there are lots of great replacements for cheap:

DeepCool Gammaxx 400, Gammaxx GTE (similar but with RGB if thats your thing), Arctic Freezer 34 Esport and Esport Duo (been the last two the better performance ones).

Always check theres enough clearance in your case and motherboard to istall big air tower coolers!

Cheers
Thanks for the reply. I will disable and check again!

Dec 2, 2019
Three intake and one exhaust? Depending on the fan size/speed, this could be causing hot air to be trapped inside your case.

One easy way to confirm this is to remove the side panel of the case. If your CPU cools down, you have incorrect air flow. If it stays the same or gets hotter, case air flow is not your problem.
This was pre-installed in the case, so I assume the fans are coorect?
Nevertheless I will give your suggestion a shot. Thanks

A prgram called CPUID hardwaremonitor. Worked fine on another build i've made. Windows was installed, yes. Idle temps I meant when Windows was idle

For me, best monitoring software for Ryzen 3xxx gen is hwinfo 64 bits portable edition - and you have to run the "Sensors Only" option ----> https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Keep in mind , when using monitoring sofwatre, use only 1 at the time, if you have more open it can mess up the readings

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In windows, make sure the power plan setting is set for balanced. Almost every other prior cpu recommends high performance settings, but with Ryzen that's a mistake, as it sets idle voltages, and resultant temps as if they were under a load.

Shouldn't have to disable PBO as that only works when the cpu is actually under a load, it's a boost.

Idle temps with a 3600 being around 40°C are more normal.

If you do not have the latest bios (you can check your version against the website) I'd suggest updating, all older stock came with whatever version was current at time of manufacture, which is totally different to time of sale.

In windows, make sure the power plan setting is set for balanced. Almost every other prior cpu recommends high performance settings, but with Ryzen that's a mistake, as it sets idle voltages, and resultant temps as if they were under a load.

Shouldn't have to disable PBO as that only works when the cpu is actually under a load, it's a boost.

Idle temps with a 3600 being around 40°C are more normal.

If you do not have the latest bios (you can check your version against the website) I'd suggest updating, all older stock came with whatever version was current at time of manufacture, which is totally different to time of sale.

Remember that load for Ryzen 3xxx is even moving the mouse around on the desktop (it got better since agesa 1003ABBA but still not 100% right), thats why I said disable PBO. Also in my case, not sure if its for everyone, with PBO enable I get worst results on every benchmark I tried and a bit lower FPS on the games too. I think its worth a shot.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, pbo can be trixy because the boost is tied into the voltage/current limits it sets vrs temps, so if it tries to boost and core temps get a little out of whack, it'll throttle the boost a little. On a 65w cpu, defaults are 88w power, 60A continuous and 90A spike, so if you push higher voltages than like 1.47v in boost, but demand more than 60A, it's going to drop boost and conversely performance. Doing it manually bypasses that limit. As does changing that 88w to 91w allowing upto 1.5v or so, if you have the cooling for it, and a mobo with decent VRM's.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The only thing different between the 2600/2600X or 3600/3600X is the clock speeds/voltages. The X's are a better binned version with bumped up ability straight out of the box, but have the same limits as their non-X brothers. You basically pay a little more for a cpu that's already factory OC'd.

That said, Yes, for pre-3000 series you do need an 'X' cpu.

Precision Boost Overdrive essentially combines the Precision Boost 2.0 and Extended Frequency Range 2.0 to deliver elevated performance as and when needed. You will need a Ryzen 'X' processor and a 400-series motherboardto leverage it. While the AMD B350 chipsets do auto-overclock 'X' CPUs to an extent, the B450 chipset's AMD PBO ability allows for much better performance gains when using a Ryzen 'X' processor.

Dec 2, 2019
Following all your suggestions I did the following:

I have disabled PBO, Core Performance Boost (I think it was named that way), set Windows to power saving mode and have rescrewed the cooler. Everything seems fine now, but I will see over the week.
I do not notice FPS decrease in Warhammer total war 2. So seems good
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Edit: For those who come after: I have tried yesterdat evening and temps stayed at 65 degrees, so all good! :)

Last edited: