Question Ryzen 5 3600 won't restart with MSI B450 Gaming Plus, change the mobo to newer x570?

Aug 19, 2019
Hi!

So I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 chip with the motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus and I can not restart the computer, and by that I mean that restarting the computer will result in that the red light indicating CPU issues on the motherboard lights up and the computer doesn't start (even thought the fans start working).

After looking at forums and talking to the staff at the store where I bought the combo I concluded that the issue probably is that the cpu/mobo combo is not fully compatible. Should I change the mobo to a newer X570 before my "purchase warranty" expires, or is there a fix for this problem? If I should get a X570, which one would be the best to buy if RGB is nothing I care about and my budget is pretty much maxed out at this point.

The full setup is as follows:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus

All help and suggestions are welcome!

EDIT: The motherboard BIOS is updated so that it should be compatible with the new AMD Ryzen Gen 3.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I updated the Motherboard BIOS with a flash drive as soon as I got it, so the newest BIOS is on it. the one that should make the motherboard compatible with the AMD Gen 3.

rumple99

Reputable
May 27, 2019
You have to keep trying - not all usb keys work I tried several and the only one that worked was a sandisk. Also format the usb key with rufus program first. The flashing process takes about 5 miuntes. your flash attempt probably failed

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What is the make/model of your power supply? Does anything show on your display when powering the system on?

Do you have PCIe power connected to your GPU? Both, power connections to the motherboard (24-pin and 8-pin)?

Is your display connected directly to the GPU or to a motherboard video connection?