Question ryzen 5 5600, 6800xt micro stuttering in all games, fix?

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
Hi, this is not the first time i have posted here about this issue, that has been with me since windows 10 back when i got my desktop almost 2 years ago. the issue is hard to describe actually, but essentially every game i play suffers from some form of microstuttering, sometimes its more subdued and others its more apparent, i could be running the game normally and then a frame time spike happens resulting in the microstutter. I can't figure out a pattern at all.
These are my specs:

Corsair rm850x 2021
b550 gaming edge wifi
5 5600
xfx merc 319 6800 xt
crucial ballistix 2x8GB 3600Mhz

THE GAMES I PLAY:
Jump Force
one piece pirate warriors 4
witcher 3
borderlands 3

THINGS TO KNOW:

recently updated mobo bios to e7c91 f0 and cleared cmos battery
xmp profile 1 is activated
sam is enabled
everything is running at stock values
windows 22h2
repasted cpu
no signs of thermal throttling

About the stuttering, it is more frequent when i begin my gaming session, but then the stuttering mostly goes away and becomes an annoying cyclical hitch.

I have been trying and trying to figure out how to fix this ever since i got my pc, i don´t know what to do, i have looked, read and still no fix. I REALLY HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME

THANK YOU

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I've been gaming for many many years, im almost 41, and have i rarely played a game that was seamlessly perfect all the time. Ive come to expect imperfections and now games are even more complex, optimisations for many different systems and setups is extremely difficult. Search any of those games regarding micro stutter and i bet they all suffer it. Some worse than others. Some fixes may improve things, it boils down to your expectations. Since stutters for you, well according to your other thread, isn't constant, just here and there, well that's quite tolerable from my experience.

Try Timespy or some other visual benchmark and ill bet my bottom dollar you won't see any micro stuttering. Not only because that the scope of optimisations isn't as big as games but there's no user input and other resources system has to compute in real-time.

If you wish to troubleshoot further, beyond Windows optimisations etc, might as well try a different SSD with Windows and games on it. Samsung 970evo for example. Different controllers inside SSDs varies in latency and performance. Since games these days constantly read from it, it could be the difference. Your SSD has dram, that only really matters more in heavy write scenarios, not so much for games where they read majority of the time besides when saving progress etc.

Reactions: PauloSilva93

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
I've been gaming for many many years, im almost 41, and have i rarely played a game that was seamlessly perfect all the time. Ive come to expect imperfections and now games are even more complex, optimisations for many different systems and setups is extremely difficult. Search any of those games regarding micro stutter and i bet they all suffer it. Some worse than others. Some fixes may improve things, it boils down to your expectations. Since stutters for you, well according to your other thread, isn't constant, just here and there, well that's quite tolerable from my experience.

Try Timespy or some other visual benchmark and ill bet my bottom dollar you won't see any micro stuttering. Not only because that the scope of optimisations isn't as big as games but there's no user input and other resources system has to compute in real-time.

If you wish to troubleshoot further, beyond Windows optimisations etc, might as well try a different SSD with Windows and games on it. Samsung 970evo for example. Different controllers inside SSDs varies in latency and performance. Since games these days constantly read from it, it could be the difference. Your SSD has dram, that only really matters more in heavy write scenarios, not so much for games where they read majority of the time besides when saving progress etc.
Thank you for your answer. the problem still exists, even if it decreased the frequency, what i end up with is a microstutter every couple of minutes or so, that completely breaks the immersion for me. If you have any more ideas, i would greatly appreciate it.

Feb 24, 2024
try lowering some settings see if you can find what is causing the issue with those games, you might, say lower shadow quality and the issue goes away but you shouldnt keep getting micro stutting to the point its messing up your game immersion,

sometimes just lowering a couple of settings will cure it even if you have a high end card, could be due to some opitmizations might not play well with your hardware or known driver version issue, its easy to put everything on max but just have a tinker, you probs fix it that way

Feb 24, 2024
how can i do a proper benchmark? amd post it here?
It's SAM causing the stuttering disable it and I bet it goes away i just reread you first post and saw SAM enabled then the penny dropped, I have had that issue with AMD SAM enbaled, I mostly disable it via the amd control panel and disable it in the BIOS and it will stop stuttering issue you talk about I know exactly what you mean by stuttering now.

the difference will be night and day for the games SAM doesnt work/play nicely with, it's that bad with some games.

Basicly if you want high frame rate (not the highest) without the risk of microstuttering like a limpet disable SAM in the AMD control pannel, go in BIOS disable any SAM related setting such as over 4g etc the just play your games dont even bother with sam because the uplift is minmal and I dont notice improving anything that make my games feel faster from the small gain in FPS it may give you but in the games it doent work with it makes them run like apig so I dont really use it.

Last edited:

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
It's SAM causing the stuttering disable it and I bet it goes away i just reread you first post and saw SAM enabled then the penny dropped, I have had that issue with AMD SAM enbaled, I mostly disable it via the amd control panel and disable it in the BIOS and it will stop stuttering issue you talk about I know exactly what you mean by stuttering now.

the difference will be night and day for the games SAM doesnt work/play nicely with, it's that bad with some games.
ok i will try that and report back

Reactions: The TrippyHippie

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
You answered me the problem still exists, what are you referring to?

There are no benchmarks you can post results here that will be meaningful. You saying stutters still exists i thought you meant either with another SSD or Timespy. Be more specific.
sorry, english isnt my first language, i'll try to be clear in my words. I meant to say that the stutters still persist on the games

Stuttering is caused by a temporary lack of a critical resource.
Commonly cpu.
To test your R5-5600 cpu, run the cpu-Z bench test and look at the single thread performance rating.
You should see a score around 601:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/rsf5p1/1
You might do a bit better with a R7-5800X or R7-5800X3D.
Don't know if a minor upgrade is worth it.

Another possibility is that you are also running an app like discord or streaming that thinks it is higher priority.
Some apps like drivers constantly want to check for updates.
That would be checked on a cyclical basis.

Anyway, look at what is also running at the same time.

If you are only gaming, 16gb should be fine.
But if using other apps, you may be short of ram.
Go to task manager/resource monitor.
Look at the memory tab and at the hard fault page rate column.
If you see a hard fault rate much more than zero, you have insufficient ram.

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
if it turns out to be SAM (Which it sound like to me) and you have always used your GPU with it enabled you should be in for a massively noticeable uplift in performance with those games to the point you have ask yourself is it worth having it enabled?
WOW i think you got it, i disabled sam in bios and adrenaline software and all the stuttering was gone, at least for the little time i tried it. the games i tried were jump force and one piece pirate warriors 4. Does that mean i can't use SAM for any game? that kind of sucks

Feb 24, 2024
From my experience with SAM and some of the games I play it's been a case of, really bad to hmmmm at best.

Assains Creed syndicate for example with SAM enabled it runns suttery and feel laggy as hell to the point the game just feels horrible to play but disable SAM in the Bios (because just disabling it in the AMD control panel it still ran like crap) and it was like a completely different GPU I was amazed there not been more looked into this by the youtuber who advise you to enable it? done a google searh and sure enough there are other with the issue, I guess it one of those tech's when it works it does what it's supposed to but to how much it's worth to each game it does work with doesnt warrant the issues cased by the games that dont like it.

Thats just my experience with AMD's SAM your maybe different but I know I'm not the only one who has had the issues SAM can cause.

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
From my experience with SAM and some of the games I play it's been a case really bad to hmmmm at best.

Assains Creed syndicate for example with SAM enabled it runns suttery and feel laggy as hell to the point the game just feels horrible to play but disable SAM in the Bios (because just disabling it in the AMD control panel it still ran like crap) and it was like a completely different GPU I was amazed there not been more looked into this by the youtuber who advise you to enable it? done a google searh and sure enough there are other with the issue, I guess it one of those tech's when it works it does what it's supposed to but to how much it's worth to each game it does work with doesnt warrant the issues cased by the games that dont like it.

Thats just my experience with AMD's SAM your maybe different but I know I'm not the only one who has had the issues SAM can cause.
right its really wierd, anyway thanks for the fix :D

Feb 24, 2024
WOW i think you got it, i disabled sam in bios and adrenaline software and all the stuttering was gone, at least for the little time i tried it. the games i tried were jump force and one piece pirate warriors 4. Does that mean i can't use SAM for any game? that kind of sucks
bet it only comes back if you enable SAM.

Witcher 2 hates SAM and I think witcher 3 runs better with it off I cant remember now. but most games I played always seemed to play better with SAM disabled, and with SAM enabled the games it didn't make run like crap felt the same as if I had SAM disabled so your not really missing out on much other than stutters with the games that dont play nice with SAM thats how I see it lol

Last edited: