Jun 4, 2021
RIG-
Windows 10 (x64)
ASUS - ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING
AMD - Ryzen 5 5600X
GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER GAMING X
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2x8) 3200mhz
EVGA 600W BRONZE

I recently bought a new motherboard ROG STRIX b550-F with the ryzen 5 5600x, it went fine everything is booted and runs properly the only issue im seeing is that the CPU is constantly overclocking itself I never set an OC the only thing I set in BIOS was to direct the RAM to run at 3200mhz. Its always running at 4650/4550mhz even when nothing is loaded but the desktop. I notice the temps being around the 50 C mark when idle and ive heard this is the upper end of idle temps and max underload it got to about 82C before cranking down to 4500mhz. Is this just built into the CPU or motherboard to overclock when heat provides it or is there a way to change this till I can get my sweet noctua cooler in 2 weeks.

Solution
" it went fine everything is booted and runs properly the only issue im seeing is that the CPU is constantly overclocking itself "

AMD have technology called Precision boost to boost the CPU frequency when conditions allow/require.

Ryzen 5 5600X has a base clock of 3.7 GHz and boosts up to 4.6 GHz. Boost is only on 1-2 cores.
You can set all cores to run at the same speed all of the time. This will give you better performance, especially in multi-core workloads.
Precision boost should be on by default, It is automatic and adjusts according to load.
Did you update the bios and install the Amd chipset drivers. If so check your
Windows Power plan for the Ryzen Balanced plan
Click on change plan settings
Scroll down to processor power management
Click on minimum processor power state and set down to 5-10 % then click apply and Ok.
Open ryzen master to monitor what it's doing now till the others guys come in for more or better advice.

Reactions: kurdtnz
" it went fine everything is booted and runs properly the only issue im seeing is that the CPU is constantly overclocking itself "

AMD have technology called Precision boost to boost the CPU frequency when conditions allow/require.

Ryzen 5 5600X has a base clock of 3.7 GHz and boosts up to 4.6 GHz. Boost is only on 1-2 cores.
You can set all cores to run at the same speed all of the time. This will give you better performance, especially in multi-core workloads.
Precision boost should be on by default, It is automatic and adjusts according to load.

Solution
So yes, Ryzen's boosting algorithm is very different from Intel's and it looks like it's trying to overclock itself, which it sort of is actually. It's very good at it and very clever too as it knows when to pull back on the overclock and protect the CPU while keeping it stable. It's very dynamic about it, very fast, and can do it for each core individually. It's pretty much made manual all-core overclocking pointless on them except with PBO.

Another thing that helps it a lot is cooling since the algorithm follows core temp very closely.

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
My 5900x that isnt OCd and no PBO enables just ram set to 3600 regularly boosts to 490mhz )and sometimes a little higher) while surfing the net. Ryzen CPUs have an aggressive boost design.
Ill see the core temp jump from 32-55c and back down while idle with multiple tabs open on Google and background apps only.
But this is normal, and the 5600x is the same with slightly lower stock clocks