[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 5600X vs Ryzen 7 3700X vs other (NOT for gaming)

Feb 4, 2021
Hello to everybody!

I have a simple question.

What's the best option between Ryzen 5 5600X vs Ryzen 7 3700X.
I will use the CPU for plotting CAD layouts, generates reports of thousands of pages etc. In short - I need a power horse.

Or maybe there is a better option in this range (even if it more expensive with 10-15%).

IMPORTANT: THE CPU's WILL NOT BE USED IN GAMING.

Solution
I think I've read this for more than 10-15 years on forums that AutoCAD favors Intel and nVidia - I don't believe it.
I've not run AutoCad comparisons but there are others I've read who have and they all report that Intel processors are favored. It's probably narrowed considerably with Ryzen 5000's IPC uplift. But my major concern, when it's for a money making machine, is known stability in the crunch. Autocad is expensive and their tech support may be of limited help if not on an Intel system.

I prefer AMD too...and not for performance reasons but on principle. But I'm also pragmatic about it: if this is for your business I feel you should stay to recommended hardware configuations certified by the software vendor...
Hello to everybody!

I will use the CPU for plotting CAD layouts, generates reports of thousands of pages etc. In short - I need a power horse.

Or maybe there is a better option in this range (even if it more expensive with 10-15%).

If your work load is mainly for CAD, you want the highest single core speed you can afford, which would be the 5600X of the CPUs you have listed. If you mostly need higher performance for multi-threaded applications, then the 5600X is probably still your best option unless the workloads gain more than say 15-20% performance with the extra cores and threads of the 3700X.

If you can wait until later in the year, Intel is going to be releasing new CPUs that may either match or out perform the Ryzen 5000 series by a decent margin. Otherwise I'd say the Ryzen 5 5600X (or 5800X if available) is your best overall option without knowing exactly what your other workloads require in terms of CPU performance and multi-threaded support.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Hello to everybody!

What CAD package will you be using? This is very important because some are compiled using the Intel compiler, using compiler options that favor Intel processors. That, coupled with many CAD programs being single-threaded, means you can be better off with an Intel processor.

I'd suggest going with recommendations of your CAD software vendor.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021
What CAD package will you be using? This is very important because some are compiled using using the Intel compiler, using compiler options that favor Intel processors. That, coupled with many CAD programs being single-threaded, means you can be better off with an Intel processor.

I'd suggest going with recommendations of your CAD software vendor.

I think I've read this for more than 10-15 years on forums that AutoCAD favors Intel and nVidia - I don't believe it.

Anw, if there is a much better solution in Intel family, I'm willing to listen to it.

I've not run AutoCad comparisons but there are others I've read who have and they all report that Intel processors are favored. It's probably narrowed considerably with Ryzen 5000's IPC uplift. But my major concern, when it's for a money making machine, is known stability in the crunch. Autocad is expensive and their tech support may be of limited help if not on an Intel system.

I prefer AMD too...and not for performance reasons but on principle. But I'm also pragmatic about it: if this is for your business I feel you should stay to recommended hardware configuations certified by the software vendor.

HOPEFULLY software vendors such as AutoCad and MathLab will start providing install options for AMD processors, at least. But not presently.

Last edited:
Solution

Anw, if there is a much better solution in Intel family, I'm willing to listen to it.
For Intel you would want at least an i7-10700K with a Z490 motherboard and high end CPU cooler, so you can overlock the CPU, but also to run faster ram if your other workloads run faster with higher than 2666MT/s.