[SOLVED] Ryzen 5600x undervolt can make memory unstable

A Gamer

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2016
Like the title says,

Recently i had some weird fatal error while playing a game that i should check my game with scan & repair.
I have never had seen this error before. When googling the error i didn't found much only it being about the GPU drivers pretty much.

Now i tought by myself what if the error was caused by a file going bad in the ram?
I downloaded Memtest i run that finding a error on 21% saying something like the value the ram gave back was wrong. I stopped it there and checked my bios settings if the XMP was correctly set.
I didn't see much wrong there and started to think about the CPU or maybe something was wrong with the motherboard slots. I was thinking maybe what if the negative -10 all cores with PBO Enabled makes it unstable.
I removed the -10 all cores and run the program to 200% with no errors.

Is this what caused the error, i am still a bit confused because undervolting ryzen is pretty populair and -10 doesn't seem that much?

Specs:
Ryzen 5600x
32GB DDR4 3600Mhz Trident Z CL18
RTX 3070 TI
ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming Wifi

Like the title says,

Recently i had some weird fatal error while playing a game that i should check my game with scan & repair.
I have never had seen this error before. When googling the error i didn't found much only it being about the GPU drivers pretty much.

Now i tought by myself what if the error was caused by a file going bad in the ram?
I downloaded Memtest i run that finding a error on 21% saying something like the value the ram gave back was wrong. I stopped it there and checked my bios settings if the XMP was correctly set.
I didn't see much wrong there and started to think about the CPU or maybe something was wrong with the motherboard slots. I was thinking maybe what if the negative -10 all cores with PBO Enabled makes it unstable.
I removed the -10 all cores and run the program to 200% with no errors.

Is this what caused the error, i am still a bit confused because undervolting ryzen is pretty populair and -10 doesn't seem that much?

Specs:
Ryzen 5600x
32GB DDR4 3600Mhz Trident Z CL18
RTX 3070 TI
ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming Wifi

Solution
Memtest assumes your CPU is functioning correctly. After all, whatever resides in memory got there because the CPU put it there. So if the CPU puts it there and said data is later read back and evaluated by the CPU either operation (both, actually) is an opportunity to corrupt it. An improperly overclocked or undervolted CPU only makes sense could fail a Memtest.

You're undervolting too far. And what is '-10'? what does that mean? Voltage is adjusted in increments of 0.00625v so -10 would be....what? Is it -0.0125v or -0.1250v? There's a huge difference there and the latter is highly likely to be unstable.
Memtest assumes your CPU is functioning correctly. After all, whatever resides in memory got there because the CPU put it there. So if the CPU puts it there and said data is later read back and evaluated by the CPU either operation (both, actually) is an opportunity to corrupt it. An improperly overclocked or undervolted CPU only makes sense could fail a Memtest.

You're undervolting too far. And what is '-10'? what does that mean? Voltage is adjusted in increments of 0.00625v so -10 would be....what? Is it -0.0125v or -0.1250v? There's a huge difference there and the latter is highly likely to be unstable.

Last edited:
Solution

A Gamer

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2016

It should also be kept in mind that “entering a value of 10” means an offset of 30-50mv in either direction as each “count” is equal to + or – 3 to 5mV.