[SOLVED] ryzen 5800x heavy falloff in performance when running multiple python codes

memory942

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017
I have 2 PC's, one is using ryzen 5800x and the other i7 9700k. Otherwise the specs are very similar. (GPU both 2080ti and RAM, storage, motherboard are similar tiers)

I have a python code that runs at a speed of about 1100 loops per minute on my ryzen 5800x, when the code is running alone.
But when I run 6 of them concurrently (6 of the same code), the speed drops to about 750.

Now, the same piece of code runs at about 800 loops per minute on my 9700k.
However, even if I run 6 of them concurrently on this PC, the speed only drops to 700.

Why is ryzen 5800x's speed falling off so hard compared to 9700k? Which specific specs of a CPU should I look into if I wanted my PC to maintain most of its speed when running multiple codes at once?

Solution
If by "concurrently" you mean spawning threads, keep in mind the standard Python interpreter only runs one thread at a time regardless of how many are actually spawned. If this is the case, you can either switch to an interpreter that properly supports multithreading or use multi-processes instead.
If by "concurrently" you mean spawning threads, keep in mind the standard Python interpreter only runs one thread at a time regardless of how many are actually spawned. If this is the case, you can either switch to an interpreter that properly supports multithreading or use multi-processes instead.

Solution

memory942

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017
Not sure how python code works but cooling is a possible culprit.

What cooler are you running on the 5800X?
good point, it's a Lian Li GALAHAD AIO 360 ARGB . 9700k has a corsair water cooler but I don't quite remember the exact name of it. (it has 2fans)

the temperature of 5800x is about 80~85C, 9700k is a bit cooler at 75~80C