Question Ryzen 5800x3d + SilentiumPC Fortis 3 v2 - did anyone try?

Apr 14, 2023
Hello,

I would like to upgrade my CPU. Currently, I have Ryzen 3600 with SilentiumPC Fortis 3 v2. I want to increase performance, but for now, I prefer to stick with AM4. I'm wondering if my cooler will handle the 5800x3d, which seemed to be quite hot in tests. Currently, instead of the stock fan, I have Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM installed on Fortis, along with 3x SilentiumPC Fluctus 120mm PWM fans on the front of the case and 1 at the back. I have 3 more fans on the way - 1 for the bottom and 2 for the top of the case.

Currently, I usually have 37-38C on the CPU in idle; after a few hours of work, it goes up to 40C. Under light load (e.g., YT), it reaches 55-56C. In stress, it goes up to 70-something. I should add that the radiator is cool to the touch, even under stress. Noctua does a good job of cooling it. I assume the radiator reaches its maximum heat dissipation capacity. This weekend, I will also replace the thermal paste with fresh Grizzly, but I wouldn't expect a significant improvement. Certainly, the small size of the case (Fractal Design Define C) and the RX6800XT, which additionally heats the surroundings (although I haven't noticed any changes in CPU temperature during GPU stress tests), do not help.

I'm afraid that in these conditions, the 5800x3d will boil. I've seen tests on YouTube where the tester pulled out 50C on Ryzen 3600 under stress and over 70C on Ryzen 5800x3d on the same setup. Since I already have over 70C on 3600, I'm scared to think what will happen on 58000x3d... Although it's possible that the tester had different fan curves, and it might not be a disaster for me... That's the thing, I don't know. Has anyone tested Fortis 3 with Ryzen 5800x3d?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/advice,
J.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might want to pass on the make and model of your motherboard. Also, add the BIOS version to your motherboard at this moment of time.

For the sake of relevance, you might want to also add the make and model of your ram kit to see if you're leaving any performance on the table.

Reactions: Jack_Not_Black
Apr 14, 2023
-RAM: Patriot Viper 4, DDR4, 4x8 GB, 3733MHz, CL17
-MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX (don't know BIOS version atm but it was updated like month ago, so it is the newest available probably)
-PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W

Last edited:
J.
Maybe someone will come along who's run a 5800X3d with this cooler but you'll have to take their experience in context, just as you do anyone else's. Reason is so much depends on how the system is set up with an air-cooled CPU heatsink. If the hot GPU exhaust is being drawn into the CPU cooler's intake fan it will only serve to heat up the CPU. That makes it important to control that effect and many GPU and case designs make it almost impossible to do so very well.

But also there's a lot of misunderstanding with modern CPU temperatures. They're designed to run hotter safely, actually using temperature to control boost clocks so continue trying to run boosted up to their Tjmax ratings. 5800X3d's have a Tjmax of 90C and it's not uncommon to see them running that hot so don't be surprised if it wants to when pushed really hard. AMD's even told us this is normal operation for the processors. People with no understanding of modern CPU boost operation see that, assume it's burning up and over-react.

But even so, it is desireable to help it run cooler since that means it will be able to boost with higher clocks. The best way to help with that is to enable PBO and undervolt using Curve Optimizer. I understand many motherboards have received BIOS updates that allow it (it used to be locked out on the X3d CPU) so hopefully your B450 Tomahawk Max has too. If not people have used a utility called PBO2 Tuner to do so.

Last edited:
Hello,

I would like to upgrade my CPU. Currently, I have Ryzen 3600 with SilentiumPC Fortis 3 v2. I want to increase performance, but for now, I prefer to stick with AM4. I'm wondering if my cooler will handle the 5800x3d, which seemed to be quite hot in tests. Currently, instead of the stock fan, I have Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM installed on Fortis, along with 3x SilentiumPC Fluctus 120mm PWM fans on the front of the case and 1 at the back. I have 3 more fans on the way - 1 for the bottom and 2 for the top of the case.

Currently, I usually have 37-38C on the CPU in idle; after a few hours of work, it goes up to 40C. Under light load (e.g., YT), it reaches 55-56C. In stress, it goes up to 70-something. I should add that the radiator is cool to the touch, even under stress. Noctua does a good job of cooling it. I assume the radiator reaches its maximum heat dissipation capacity. This weekend, I will also replace the thermal paste with fresh Grizzly, but I wouldn't expect a significant improvement. Certainly, the small size of the case (Fractal Design Define C) and the RX6800XT, which additionally heats the surroundings (although I haven't noticed any changes in CPU temperature during GPU stress tests), do not help.

I'm afraid that in these conditions, the 5800x3d will boil. I've seen tests on YouTube where the tester pulled out 50C on Ryzen 3600 under stress and over 70C on Ryzen 5800x3d on the same setup. Since I already have over 70C on 3600, I'm scared to think what will happen on 58000x3d... Although it's possible that the tester had different fan curves, and it might not be a disaster for me... That's the thing, I don't know. Has anyone tested Fortis 3 with Ryzen 5800x3d?

J.

What case are you using?

What Fortis version are you using? From the reviews of the version 3 it should be overkill for the 3600 and good for the 5800x3d. It compares well to most higher end coolers including the Peerless Assassin 120 that I have on my 5800x3d and it will reach 87°C during Cinebench23 All Core test.

With the 3600 cpu, do you have all fans set to low at all times or do the fans increase speed as the cpu reaches 70°C?

Modern cpu's are designed to run near their throttling limit for best performance. Running them near the Tj Max is normal and will not damage the cpu.

Apr 14, 2023
What case are you using?

What Fortis version are you using?
As I said, I am using Fractal Design Define C case and SilentiumPC Fortis 3 v2. I am using custom fan curves set in BIOS for all of my fans. I know there is room for improvement and I could go higher with the rpms, but some reasonable noise levels are important to me. 5 fans (8 soon) at 70%+ are becoming loud. I suppose I will give it a try but I have rather low hopes. I am considering DeepCool A620 or Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 AIO (if it fits). But oh well, let's get Fortis 3 a try ;)

...Fractal Design Define C case ... Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 AIO (if it fits).
240 mm AIO should fit that case comfortably for front mounting. The solid front panel looks like it could obstruct airflow but maybe the side vents make up for it well enough. A simple test will be to remove the glass side panel and operate it: if CPU temperature improves when doing the same things as before then you know the CPU cooler's not getting enough cool air to work well. A front mounted AIO will always be using outside air for cooling the CPU.

Even with an AIO you can expect the CPU to reach for 90C Tjmax, at times. It's designed to and the way it operates but should the cooler you have prove to be inadequate an AIO should return better performance even though it does.

Apr 14, 2023
Well, I don't believe it will fit at front. According to case manufacturer, the case fits 315mm GPU + 25mm fan at front. My Powercolor RX 6800 XT Red Dragon has 315mm and with 25mm fan there is like 2mm free space. Never heard of AIO that is 25mm thick (including fans). The only possible options for better cooling are: good air flow cooler (like A620) + 2 exhaust fans at the top OR AIO at the top and eventually 1 floor intake fan... Wiil have to think unless I hear some good advices from someone smarter than me (shouldn't be too hard) ;)).

I am aware that many new CPUs are designed to work in higher temperatures but when I saw 70ish like temps in stress-tests online I would love to get somewhere near too. I guess lower temps = longer lifetime ...and I would just feel safer.

I am aware that many new CPUs are designed to work in higher temperatures but when I saw 70ish like temps in stress-tests online I would love to get somewhere near too. I guess lower temps = longer lifetime ...and I would just feel safer.
Hard to believe that case wouldn't work with your 6800XT...but I suppose anything's possible. I have a 6800XT (MSI Gaming Z Trio), also a pretty big triple fan GPU, in a fairly small mATX case, a CM N200, and it fits comfortably with a front mounted 240mm AIO.

People looking to force lower temps have been known to enable Eco Mode in BIOS settings. The performance hit in gaming is minimal, as I understand.

Last edited:

kognak

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
As I said, I am using Fractal Design Define C case and SilentiumPC Fortis 3 v2. I am using custom fan curves set in BIOS for all of my fans. I know there is room for improvement and I could go higher with the rpms, but some reasonable noise levels are important to me. 5 fans (8 soon) at 70%+ are becoming loud. I suppose I will give it a try but I have rather low hopes. I am considering DeepCool A620 or Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 AIO (if it fits). But oh well, let's get Fortis 3 a try ;)
I have 5800X3D and Fortis3. Sure at stock it hits 90C in CB23 but you can't cool this behavior away. Stacked chips simply are hot because thermal conductivity is reduced due extra layers, amount of heat is actually relatively small. It produces less heat than 5800X does, my former 5800X could use 20W more at same temp. What you can do is use curve optimizer(*) to run cores at lower voltage and cap power to 100W. My 5800X3D is stable with -30 all cores and in CB23 peak temp is 78C. However I don't think this is very important, I didn't buy 5800X3D for "playing" cinebench. There's so much better CPUs out there for that. Games, that's completely different story, it's not hot with stock settings.

* Depends on board and bios if CO is allowed. I used PBO2 tool before realizing Asus had it in bios(AMD overclocking menu had it greyed out which I used with 5800X)

Reactions: Jack_Not_Black