Ryzen 7 1700 CPU and Prime B350 Plus, What DDR4 Configuration?

freelancer604

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012
Hello all,

Longtime lurker here. My new computer that I bought second hand feels really sluggish compared to my gaming laptop, which has 16gb of memory so I was wondering if I should upgrade and how. The system has the following:

- Ryzen 7 1700 CPU
- Asus Prime B350 Plus motherboard
- 2x4GB Corsair LPX 2400mhz DDR4 Memory
- Asus GTX1080 Strix
- 2x 2TB HDD connected via SATA 6GB/s cables

I went and bought a second set of 2x4gb corsair 2400mhz memory sticks and stuck them in the two empty DIMM slots.

I read in guides that this particular CPU cannot run 4x4gb in dual channel @2400mhz, and that it would instead run all four at 2133mhz. I was contemplating the possibility of re-ordering a 2x8gb set when I went into BIOS and found that all four memory sticks were actually running at 2400mhz, so I am confused at what is happening?

In your expert opinion, should I:

1. Keep the configuration as is, with 4x4gb DDR4?

2. Sell/return all four memory sticks and buy a 2x8GB 2400mhz set, or higher speed?

Thank you so much for your help!

Solution
CPU has two channels in one physical memory controller so using both at same time usually ends up with lower frequency. Using 2 x 8GB can allow then to run at least 3000 - 3200MHz. As Ryzen likes faster RAM that can be more advantageous
CPU has two channels in one physical memory controller so using both at same time usually ends up with lower frequency. Using 2 x 8GB can allow then to run at least 3000 - 3200MHz. As Ryzen likes faster RAM that can be more advantageous

Solution
Whatever guide you read stating ryzen can't run 2400mhz with 4 sticks is wrong .

Tend to be fine upto 2666mhz , faster than that generally requires some manual tinkering.

At 2400mhz you're honestly not losing any noticeable performance to 2933 in my experience.

While ryzen does perform better the faster the ram its actual real life performance difference has been overstated massively , not just in this forum but pretty much everywhere.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
See if you have the latest bios.The latest is a beta ,"Version 3805 =Bètaversion from 2018/02/11", so maybe not the most stable one,but the one for that is "Version 3803 from 2018/01/26". See if you at least have that 3803 version.

Even with the stock cooler could that cpu be overclocked a little.Maybe worth a shot.Maybe you can post a picture of the memory and spd tabs of cpu-z? (=freeware tool)
Ram on 2400mhz often runs at 1.2V so maybe with adding voltage this ram can even run abit higher speed,but that maybe needs some tinkering with timings as well.

Can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the img link,paste it in your next post.

Other thing,that "gaming laptop",does it have an ssd? When talking about "feeling sluggish" that might be a noticable difference.