Ryzen 7 2700x in Ryzen Master shows EDC at limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2018
Ryzen 7 2700x
Asus rog strix x470-f
Zotac 1070 ti
16 gb ram 3200
Evga 650 gq

I had this new build for a week now and when I downloaded ryzen master I saw the EDC (CPU) is at its limit... how do I fix this? It says the maximum is 168a, can I raise it? I use everything in stock and don`t want to overclock it. Temperatures are ok. It stays like this in idle.

Image of ryzen master: https://imgur.com/Getf8ih

Solution
If temps are fine I would keep it like that, when needed it will jump up fast enough. You could also set another Power plan with full blast, it's easy enough to switch to it if ever you need it.
Since last Spring update, W10 also has "Ultimate performance" plan which sets all those values and some hidden ones to highest possible.
May 29, 2018
Thanks for the reply Grandmaster, but it stays like this all the time, shouldn't the precision performance boost turn on just sometimes? If I leave it like this, will it be bad for my hardware in the long term.

Bad_Company

Reputable
Aug 17, 2016
The same thing occurs to me. Usually my cpu idles at 4075 at 39°C ( summer, supper high ambient temperature ) . One core might rarely drop to 2ghz for a split of a second and back to 4075. My EDC is also at 99-100% , but i keep my pc on performance power plan without 5% minimum cpu.

Reactions: psiboy

Bad_Company

Reputable
Aug 17, 2016
I have read that ryzen balanced is not optimal for ryzen 2nd gen . Are any advantages to using balanced or ryzen balanced over performance ? Apart from the power consumption obviously , which I don't think it makes significant difference

There's another component to it, heat and with it noise from fans etc. I was also interested in it's effects because previously I always kept everything overclocked to stable limits and newer used turbo or power saving modes. Since Ryzen came with XFR and Performance boost technology it reacts to needs much faster and doesn't produce stutter like for example FX processors did. I did some testing and benchmark scores were within 5 - 7, eventually 10% in some cases of fully OCe-d Ryzen.
I did it on 1600, 1600x, 1700x and this 2700x on x370 and x470 MBs. 2700x + x470 MB have support for XFR2 and PB2 so good that OC is probably not even needed, scores are there in 5 -7% range (from OC to 4.25GHz) and difference is practically not visible in most applications.
YMMW but those are my experiences.

If temps are fine I would keep it like that, when needed it will jump up fast enough. You could also set another Power plan with full blast, it's easy enough to switch to it if ever you need it.
Since last Spring update, W10 also has "Ultimate performance" plan which sets all those values and some hidden ones to highest possible.

Solution
Aug 27, 2018

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You are the ONLY person so far that actually explained how to do this.

I kept seeing recommendations to change to the balanced profile or set the minimum CPU lower, but it never occurred to me to look there. I kept scrounging around in the AMD Master software. I created this profile just so I could post and show my appreciation. Thanks again!

Sep 1, 2018
I've been aching for an answer and I must admit, what count mike says isnt incorrect. However there is no need to underclock your beast of a cpu down to 2.2ghz for the sake of better power consumption. They are meant to run at 3.7ghz. Personally my issue was I had a program running called (x-boost) that came pre installed on my msi motherboard. If you're like me and installed / updated everything on the msi or asus or w/e mobo app manager, then this is most likely your problem. I turned off gameboost in my msi x-boost application and my edc(cpu) on ryzen master went back down to normal levels. FYI it's normal for that to crank up to 99% when booting and loading apps but it's supposed to gradually go back down once it's done it's job. The msi/asus software seems to keep it at max power current all the time. WHICH IS BAD. You run the risk of damaging your components. After the fix my 2700x still power boosts up to 4.2 even up to 1.4v and the edc is appropriate. I spent 2 days troubleshooting. I really hope this helps any future 2700x owners.

It's not so much of power consumption but heat it brings with it. With heat fan speed also goes up and so does noise so for noise's sake why not let it be quiet when not doing much.
Personally, I have (at least) two settings for OC in BIOS, one is all on auto and voltage down to minimum and other one is what I call "Damn the torpedoes" full blast OC-ed as much as it would go only when really needed. Takes a minute to restart and set.

Sep 4, 2018
Hi guys, I recently build a pc with ryzen 7 2700x + msi x470 gaming m7 + ddr4 team group t-force delta running at 3600mhz ram
I'm with the same EDC problem. Monitoring with ryzen master, on windows startup and gaming EDC keeps 90~99%(99% at most).

Already tried ryzen balanced power option on windows, setting to 5% minimum processor use, but still having this issue, no way to fix it.
Precision Boost Overdrive and Core Performance Boost is on, game boost is off at MSI click bios 5.
Is it really normal? The Voltage of CPU varies to 1.4v to 1.55 sometimes, I'm new to ryzen and little worried about it.

Using HWMonitor sometimes I see TMPIN7 very hot, sometimes 90c.

Bad_Company

Reputable
Aug 17, 2016

Although a 90c won't hurt momentarily , gaming and keeping your cpu under 90c for hours is definitely bad and you need to resolve it asap. Are you using the stock cooler ? It looks more like a bad cooling problem to me. I live in a hot climate , and In the summer with ambient temperatures beeing around 35-36 c my wriath prism was unnable to keep my 2700x cool. I replaced the wraith with kraken x62 and the temps are normal. The voltage is usually around 1.4X for me most of the time , but the course stays nice and cool , with 32-40 idle temp and 50-60 while gaming for hours, I would say Max temp ive reached after gaming is 65.

Sep 4, 2018

Hi Bad_Company, thanks for the answer

On Ryzen Master temps never reach 90c or near that, I see this temps on HWMonitor at TEMPIN7 sensor (don't know what this represents), all the other temps are ok. With HWInfo the max cpu temps reached is 85 but the average shows about 65~70c, Don't know if this situation is okay or not.

Although I'm concerned about the EDC showing in red at ryzen master, can't figure out how to fix it, or if it really needs to be fixed.

Sep 4, 2018
Hi guys, I think I've found a solution...

First I reseted CMOS, don't know if what was causing was some bad configuration made by me playing in BIOS or a bug.
But I reseted CMOS and by default all the boost configurations in BIOS now is set to Auto (Core performance boost, Precision Boost Overdrive etc) and I set the XMP profile for memories to 2 (3600mhz) again.

Now Ryzen Master shows at EDC tab 100% of 140A, Limit 168A (still in red but now there's a "margin" limitation to not fry and get things hotter than hell)

The cores still boosting and performance is almost the same than before, for example in Battlefield 1 I was getting about 130~140 fps, now I get about 120~130 and my pc will not explode =)

Hope this can helps

Status
Not open for further replies.