[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 2700x not posting with 4 RAM Sticks

Nov 17, 2020
MOBO: asus prime b450m-a
CPU: ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: gtx 1060 6gb
PSU: 650W
RAM: Hyperxfury 8gb 2666 cl16
I had 2 sticks of ram and everything worked fine, recently i bought 2 more sticks to have 32gb, but my pc won't post with all 4 sticks pluged in. It booted with 3 sticks but not with four.
Bios version is the last version on the website.
What should i do?
Thank you!

Solution
if you set the memory to the defaults's speed of 2133, can you boot ?

i know my 2700x with 2 sticks of 16gb cannot cold boot at 2933mhz , i have to dial it back.
with 4 sticks i have to stay at 2133 (wich is the reason i separated my 64gb kit to 2 computers)
Buy matching pair of RAM.

Seriously this is why RAM is sold in sets, when you mix and match RAM there is no guarantee they will work together even if they are the same brand and model. I would return the RAM you just bought, and sell the RAM you already had and buy a 32GB set of two 16GB sticks. I would also suggest getting 3600mhz RAM.

RealBeast

Titan
Buy matching pair of RAM.

Seriously this is why RAM is sold in sets, when you mix and match RAM there is no guarantee they will work together even if they are the same brand and model. I would return the RAM you just bought, and sell the RAM you already had and buy a 32GB set of two 16GB sticks. I would also suggest getting 3600mhz RAM.
Totally agree, also buy memory that is on the board QVL (including the specific generation if Ryzen).

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just to be sure, check your BIOS version and AGESA revision. Get up to the current one suggested for your CPU and try them again. Can't hurt to try first. The one slot not working is odd, have you troubleshot that more? Have you attempted to run them at 2133/2400?

In this case I agree with the above as well, but it can't hurt to try. In relation to getting 3600. The pricing sweet spot is likely around there, but your current CPU isn't really going to take advantage of it. I would look at it like two birds one stone for eliminating the issue as well as being ready for a CPU upgrade to a later gen down the road.

Nov 17, 2020
Just to be sure, check your BIOS version and AGESA revision. Get up to the current one suggested for your CPU and try them again. Can't hurt to try first. The one slot not working is odd, have you troubleshot that more? Have you attempted to run them at 2133/2400?

In this case I agree with the above as well, but it can't hurt to try. In relation to getting 3600. The pricing sweet spot is likely around there, but your current CPU isn't really going to take advantage of it. I would look at it like two birds one stone for eliminating the issue as well as being ready for a CPU upgrade to a later gen down the road.
so 2 sticks work in any configuration, with 3 sticks the position was 1110 and it worked, but when i moved it to 1011 it worked no more. Bios version is the latest

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
if you set the memory to the defaults's speed of 2133, can you boot ?

i know my 2700x with 2 sticks of 16gb cannot cold boot at 2933mhz , i have to dial it back.
with 4 sticks i have to stay at 2133 (wich is the reason i separated my 64gb kit to 2 computers)

Solution